Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

StashAugustine posted:

So I guess the response to "the US had to drop the bomb because otherwise Japan would have rearmed" is "the Japanese government was full of lunatic hardliners, but we can't know what terms might have happened because the Allies didn't try negotiating because they were more concerned with their postwar strategic position (ie dickwaving at the Soviets)."

I mean should the Allies have negotiated with them? Would you, StashAugustine, accept it if the Allies made a negotiated peace with the Nazi’s instead of demanding unconditional surrender?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

vyelkin posted:

when for a day or two after Nagasaki it looked like Japan still might not surrender, the US launched an enormous bombing raid that levelled Japan's only remaining oil refinery, which kinda begs the question of why they didn't just do that before nuking several cities

That just makes the question “What’s so bad about a nuke if the fire bombing is just as bad?” And to be fair I am entirely down with the argument that “Strategic bombing regardless of if it’s one nuke or 1000 B-24’s is equally a warcrime.” But that still makes it the issue of why single out the nukes like they were something beyond what was already happening.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Azathoth posted:

The firebombing of Dresden and the firebombing of Tokyo were just as much war crimes as the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and of Nagasaki.

Similarly, John Glenn talks in his memoirs about flying missions in Europe in WW2 where after the Luftwaffe ceased to be able to offer significant resistance they would just go out and fly around enemy territory shooting at anything that moved. That, as well, is a war crime.

The atomic bombs get actual attention as war crimes because (1) almost nobody's fathers and grandfathers dropped atomic bombs but a whole lotta guys dropped incendiaries and other bombs on children and (2) it was an effective strategy for the anti-nuclear movement to paint anything nuclear as evil and regular bombing didn't have an ongoing political fight outside of the larger war/peace political dynamic.

Well yeah that’s what I’m saying. I find any complaining about Hiroshima and Nagasaki suspicious because it’s really about defaming nuclear power in favor of the fossil fuel industry(whether knowingly or as a patsy). If it’s all war crimes all the way down there’s no need to point out those two cities while suspiciously never mentioning the other completely obliterated cities.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

vyelkin posted:

hell yeah dude saying nuclear warfare is bad is fossil fuel industry propaganda

Correct, The attempt to muddle the waters by conflating those two bombings with the doomsday arms race was intentional fossil fuel industry propaganda. Me not wanting ICBMs pointed at the world is an extension of me not wanting any other weapons pointed at it. The anti nuclear movement has always spent the vast majority of its time trying to shut down plants. Even Salt was just Nixon and Brezhnev doing détente rather than anything the anti-nuclear movement did.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

An interesting counterpoint to all the cheap paperbacks valorizing the brave doomed Japanese soldiers that were de rigueur in the era.

I was under the impression most pulp fiction of the time that dealt with Japan was Tom Clancy style fear mongering about how the inscrutable Japanese oriental was just biding his time till he could avenge himself upon freedom loving America, Remember Pearl Harbor! Or did that not really get going until the 80’s when the economic boom and better than American cars made people anxious?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

my dad posted:

Old ethnic/religious maps of Yugoslavia have a tendency of being too... clean and discrete, I guess? Relative to the actual situation. Here's a great one I got linked to that's represents the census data as 100 people dots instead, showing a much more accurate picture.

https://twitter.com/mapsareamazing/status/1702648890363666813

e: Sadly, it lacks a depiction of the Jewish population. Vojvodina in particular would have them in noticeable number, alongside a few cities like Belgrade and Sarajevo.

anyone who uses both lime green and yellow in the same map should be jailed. It’s not like there aren’t a billion other darker shades of green to use.
Anyway what’s that peninsula of Protestantism in Slovenia?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Slavvy posted:

There's also a bit where they show some factory sabotage, someone welded a tube onto a filler bung so the thing would seem like it was full while actually not being even close

I’ve never found any good data (and to be fair I don’t see how you could get it or even quantify it at this point) on just how much of the Nazi reputation for unreliable lovely equipment came from intentional sabotage by their slaves. We know it was endemic, but it’s not like Joe McFactoryslave was keeping an official ledger of how many suspension springs he sabotaged this fiscal quarter.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Slavvy posted:

I suspect that between material shortages, substandard materials, and sabotage, they probably come across as a lot worse than they should be on paper.

Another thing that comes up in the panther video is them putting in little planks of wood to line the wheel hub tubes. The reasoning being that the wood would take up a lot of volume which would otherwise have to be filled with wheel bearing grease, thus saving on grease. Clearly there is a disconnect there because if the designer was aware of this issue he would simply have designed wheel hubs with less wasted volume.

But at the same time, the Nazi vehicles were exquisitely complex and built to a philosophy of occasional total refurbishment vs partial field repair like everyone smart was doing.

Like everything else about the third reich there were multiple compounding causes of failure.

Oh yeah that’s part of what I meant by “How could you even quantify it?” because even if every worker had kept meticulous records of all their sabotage it was such a smorgasbord of failure from every direction of the whole system that it becomes practically impossible to ascribe blame to which particular defect or deficiency on a particular piece of equipment as the straw that broke the camels back on this or that individual tank.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Azathoth posted:

Reminds me of those Christian weightlifters my school brought in for an assembly back in the 90s. They'd rip phone books in half and other assorted feats of strength while spouting Bible verses and inspirational messages.

Holy poo poo the Righteous Gemstones didn’t make that up?!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Rosie the Riveter, fascist?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
No one in all of America eats like that. no one puts down the knife or constantly switches hands. Hell most people just cut all their stuff at the start so they can eat without constantly having to stop to cut a new piece.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Khrushchev was right about modern art being dogshit, even if he went on an unhinged bigoted rant about it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

StashAugustine posted:

I get where he's coming from but backing up to the discussion of racism in antiwar liberalism, the VC weren't cannibal savages with axes lol. The NVA had a serious air force!

It’s the language of cinema though. You only have 2 hours of runtime. You don’t have time to to go over in excruciating detail the Ewoks lacking the industrial infrastructure of the Empire and the logistics problems the Ewok-Kong have to work around in order to provide space-gasoline to their space-tanks. You have to show something that is an immediately visual representation of being “low tech” that the audience can understand without further explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Cerebral Bore posted:

mannerheim did mellow out a bit later in life, but i feel like that was mostly because he recognized that his previous goals weren't realistic when you're a sparsely populated country with a tiny fraction of the ussr's industrial capacity

rats don’t get credit for jumping of a sinking ship