Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

malcolm gladwell managed to write a book about how curtis lemay was actually good

https://mobile.twitter.com/thebafflermag/status/1394412663996887040

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

milhist question: listening to revolutions and the description of the brusilov offensive kinda sounds like a proto-deep battle strategy; was that an explicit inspiration?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

the bit that gets left out of this story is that the British came back, burned every village on the way to Kabul, bombed the ancient city center into rubble, and then hosed off to let their puppet die once they'd gotten all the rape and murder out of their system

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Weka posted:

I asked about this and didn't get much of an answer but I thought about it for a bit and I'm leaning towards Bush gave Saddam the green light to invade so he could start the war. Seems about on par for an ex CIA director.

Yeah that's definitely a possibility; the whole thing was basically just an exercise in America throwing its weight around as the Soviets were falling apart. Even if it wasn't encouraged by the US they definitely went all out in the propaganda for it, c.f. the famous phony UN testimony. Its not like Saddam's Iraq was really good or in the right but they were just the first opportunity for the US to beat someone up

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Stug is a pretty recognizable vehicle if you're into WW2 stuff but that doesn't detract from the Finns being Nazi collaborators

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

hey whats the best current book about the buildup to ww1? asking for reasons

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

sleepwalkers how europe went to war

or if you're the most british tory to have ever tory'd: max hasting's catastrophe 1914 which is all about how glorious england was entirely justified in fighting the dreadful huns who started the war

thanks, currently reading about how the primary cause of ww1 was the Austrian chief of staff trying to bang a married woman

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Peggotty posted:

Is that some sort of joke I'm not getting or are you honestly recommending Christopher Clark?

ooh ooh history fight!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

question coming from preparing to paint up miniatures for a ww1 strategy game: which powers used colonial forces in Europe? I think the French used African troops, the British used Indian troops but mostly used Africans in the colonies (?), German had African colonies but idk if they got troops from them to Europe

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I remember hearing that the Habsburg armies fighting Napoleon required officers to oversee enlisted if they had to go take a poo poo in the woods because they'd run away otherwise

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is the reason boys don't go to the bathroom together anymore, while girls still do.

thanks napoleon

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Lol that the concept of governments who actually do things is now being lost in the mists of time and pretty much like Hitler if you think about it

gonna crack a minute and let a bit of lib brain out: its insanely cool how the concept of "actually doing things to improve the lives of citizens" has been so thoroughly associated with the concept of the dreaded authoritarianism that the natural response for a lot of people is to draw the conclusion that dictatorship is thus cool and good

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

He was smart enough to realize that he couldn't piss off NATO after what happened to his predecessor

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

This is a huge pedantic point but it is kinda funny given that the original dictators were specifically intended to relinquish power

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

"Mild compared to the 30 Years War" is a hell of a low bar

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I've been trying to figure out hair/skin colors for painting dark ages European miniatures and it kinda feels racist just googling it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Anyone got a good book recommendation on the Dreyfus affair?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/__apf__/status/1536475785493716993

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

This would be easier to buy from someone who wasn't a self evident psycho

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Every sentence of that is stupid in a radically different way

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Modern history begins in 1492

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Fredericksburg! Fredericksburg! Fredericksburg!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Weka posted:

Most people in the UK seem to support keeping the monarchy so I'm not sure getting rid of it would be democratic.
FPP might not be perfectly democratic, but then what is? It is a flawed democratic system. Athens was a democracy, just a very flawed one.
The last two are just problems you tend to see in democracys. You would probably see them in some hypothetical ideal democracy.

Tyranny, you say? How can you tyrannize someone who cannot feel pain?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Talking about Ancient Greece in the modern history thread. Y'all are getting reported tsk tsk tsk

the oligarchy never ended

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/owenbroadcast/status/1547942977837731840?t=0Gvz4tRSuETzRJeWJF9qRg&s=19

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

From purely material standpoint I'd rather be on the US side than the North Vietnamese one

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

If you die in the Congo war you get to come back as a vengeful headless ghost tho

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If it wasn't for Russia we'd all be speaking Swedish right now

This but for whatever Swedish cavalryman accidentally shot Gustavus Adolphus in the back of the head

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

well actually it was just a French genocide, they let the Anglos off with a warning

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Azathoth posted:

oswald wasn't ever aware of the degree he was being used. the CIA via de Mohrenschildt hyped the guy up to do violence and they wanted him to do something like shoot Gen. Edwin Walker, which would have had genuine use in anti-communist propaganda.

him hauling off and shooting Kennedy was problematic for a number of reasons, not the least that the guy had intelligence fingerprints all over him. what the CIA did in the aftermath of the shooting was an extremely hasty cover-up of them juicing up a violent dipshit who ended up in exactly the right place at exactly the right time.

there were thousands and thousands of guys just like Oswald stashed all over the US, it just happens that they got extremely lucky/unlucky with this one.

the "oswald was an asset but also acted alone" theory is kinda funny yeah

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm reading a biography of Oliver Morton, the Republican war governor of Indiana (who suspended the House when antiwar Dems won in 1862 and ran the state off personal loans and federal money until the end of the war), and one interesting wrinkle in this is that there were a fair number of Republicans who were initially for a limited Reconstruction but then radicalized when they saw that Johnson's kid-glove treatment was still met with resistance and terrorism. So who knows what could have happened if a still lenient but less obviously stupid Reconstruction was attempted early on.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i say swears online posted:

did Rome end strong? i think i only saw the first season ages ago

Sort of: they got canceled halfway though season 2 and thus had to wrap up that season and do the entire Octavian-Antony civil war in 6 episodes. Given those constraints (and a recast for an older Antony who's not nearly as good) it came out all right, I'd recommend watching it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Oh whoops yeah. Young Octavian is good and the recast is unfortunate but losing Purefoy would have practically killed the show

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

the more I hear about this Hitler fellow the less I care for him

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Apparently the Manhattan Project did have trouble with workers being careless with radioactive material because they couldn't be properly briefed on it, yeah

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

just remembered Naomi Wolf getting owned

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

mycomancy posted:

Which time? The one that comes to my mind first is the one where she misunderstood a word's historical use in documents that meant the opposite of what she was assuming because she couldn't be bothered to try and falsify herself.

She certainly has been owned a lot but yeah thats the one I was thinking of

Also good post my dad, looking forward to the rest of it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I was at a reenactment of Perryville recently and it was darkly funny to see a battle fought by two incompetents, Buell vs Bragg

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm sorry to quote a wikipedia article but the Germans were just such loving clowns in WW2

it rocks how they were so incompetent that british intelligence managed to run circles around them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Reminded of how the Germans were aware they'd have to tear up and resize Soviet rails since they were a different gage, but forgot that since a bigger gage means you carry more fuel they also had to build more refueling stations