Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
On the topic of purges and the historiography of actually existing Communism: I've been reading The Three-Body Problem and the parts that take place during the Cultural Revolution seem to be critical of the actions of the Communists. I only have a vague, possibly incorrect understanding of the Cultural Revolution, that it was hardcore Communist youth groups denouncing/killing/imprisoning/exiling alleged counter-revolutionaries that the party eventually had to reign in. Is there a good history of the Cultural Revolution that isn't explicitly anti-Communist and, while I understand this is probably harder to get (especially in English), is there any information on what modern Chinese people and historians think about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

I think this is exactly what I was looking for. Added to my reading list.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
Any book recommendations for a history of the Korean War? I've been trying to listen to Blowback S3 but I have a hard time retaining information from podcasts. I checked their sources list and it's extensive but I only really have time for 1 or 2 books.