Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
can anyone here recommend some decent documentary / video content about the history of the bolsheviks and the october revolution? I've read a few books about it, but want something more audio visually stimulating. everything I could find is ether heavily tinted with a liberal bias or is from a reactionary monarchist perspective (what the hell)

I also understand russian if that helps

AFancyQuestionMark has issued a correction as of 23:12 on Apr 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

vyelkin posted:

If you can find it, Esfir Shub's Padenie dinastii Romanovykh (1927) is pretty great

e: actually it turns out it's very easy to find on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFCEnmyCbjw

thank you for this

unrelated, but how come there's this unblievable mass of epic pop history youtubers doing pro Tzar and Whites propaganda? A two part documentary lionizing loving Admiral Kolchak :wtc:

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
If people want to continue the discussion from the Ukraine thread regarding the effectiveness of purges (and particularly the late 30s mass trials) and the relation to the fall of the USSR, I am really interested in that.

I'll be honest here, I started from an anti-purge perspective and am gradually moving towards pro-purge but anti-terror. I have read various history books on the circumstances of the October revolution, the Civil War and the trials themselves. I read Lenin and Trotsky, but mostly articles, polemics and pamphlets, not large theory volumes (sorry, it's hard to stay focused).

If you want to discuss this/educate me, I would appreciate that

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Look, there are a lot of people in the other thread that read Losurdo and such (I did not) and explain that Khrushev and Gorbachev's rise and the perrstroika was a consequence of not carrying out enough purges(including in the 60s and 70s). I want to understand this

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
IIRC there's an entire genre of Chinese literature describing intellectuals being persecuted during the CR, so this isn't a nieche viewpoint, as far as I understand "CR was bad and a mistake" is the mainstream view in China