Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Flavius Aetass posted:

What's so interesting about this rebellion, you ask-- well, Hong Xiuquan declared himself to be the younger brother of Jesus, that is, Jesus Christ of Christian fame. Hong did not know a whole lot about the Bible, nor did his followers, but they knew enough to establish what would be known as the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom, of which Hong was the king by divine right.

This was of interest to Westerners. As of 1850 the openly anti-foreign Xianfeng Emperor ruled in Beijing, and resistance to European-based "free trade" was at an all-time high. Suddenly they're hearing that nearly half of China is ruled by a Christian? This could be an opportunity...

It sounds like this is the opening of a story, if it is just ignore me

But somebody started a series of good effortposts over here a few years ago

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585027&userid=127245&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post454915546

I have no idea if this is a thing, but I'm halfway convinced Xiuguan and Emperor Norton had the same psychological event, where they had enormous pressure to think of themselves as one way (Xiuquan as a civil servant, Norton as a businessman) and when life dealt them some incredibly harsh cards denying them their identity, their sense of self underwent a radical transformation to save itself from the crushing, un-processable shame

Or maybe both just were like that one Simpsons episode where the Michael Jackson impersonator started doing it and to his surprise found others and himself liked him better that way and just leaned into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This is new to me: meet the actual radical feminist terrorists who bombed the US capitol in the 1980s. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/1980s-far-left-female-led-domestic-terrorism-group-bombed-us-capitol-180973904/