Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Chad Sexington posted:

The SPAC game isn't about long-term value investing though. Might as well just buy index funds. In the abstract I think all the measures Ackman is employing to prevent people from just dumping stocks are interesting, but this deal is stupidly complicated and who the gently caress knows how to value all the pieces. It's not bullish I know that much!

I disagree about your thoughts about the SPAC game. At least for me, I always saw it as a low-risk place to invest with a lot of future potential. The gains back in Feb were abnormal for the entire market and you can't expect SPACs to match that kind of performance. Investing in a SPAC usually has a 2-year window, if you want quick gains you are generally going to have to do something riskier with your money.

I'm not saying this is a great deal, they made it complicated so it is hard to evaluate. On its face, 40b valuation for 7b in revenue doesn't seem terrible, but there are a lot of details we don't know. And yes, it's not a sexy target to get the Reddit pump, but depending on the deal, it could be a good long-term play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

dalstrs posted:

The gains back in Feb were abnormal for the entire market and you can't expect SPACs to match that kind of performance

The flip side of this is that the gains in SPACs from June 2020 through December/January were also very abnormal.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

The flip side of this is that the gains in SPACs from June 2020 through December/January were also very abnormal.

Can we not say that about most stocks during that timeframe of the pandemic?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

dalstrs posted:

Can we not say that about most stocks during that timeframe of the pandemic?

I don't think we can. The stock market went up by 30-40% during that timeframe, whereas some people here who played the SPAC game saw gains as high as 500%, maybe more.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yeah my portfolio went up 610% between November and February and I've been treading water since then. Totally got spoiled. :smith:

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
There was definitely a bubble, but did anyone really expect those kinds of gains to continue? I'd love it if they did, but I mostly see the SPACs as a safe way to hold money with some potential upside, at least, as long as you are investing at near or below nav.

I hoped PSTH would get a better bump after announcing a target, but I'm still not sure this was a bad deal, just not one that could get some of that oomph that rockets it up.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Stolen from r/spacs

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

dalstrs posted:

I mostly see the SPACs as a safe way to hold money with some potential upside, at least, as long as you are investing at near or below nav.

That was how I looked at it during the bubble though honestly. Because there was still a good chance that your SPAC would be a total whiff. So it was still mostly just a place to park cash with potential for upside. That some people made a lot playing options on the handful of rocket ships is besides the point.

I don't see how you could look at the current market and see it as the same thing. The whole sector has basically collapsed. There are too many SPACs out there competing for too few valuable companies. The "potential for upside" is radically diminished when the pitch is basically "you have a one in several hundred chance to get a DA which at best has a 3-5 year horizon for profitability and will trade around NAV for the indefinite future."

I guess if your read is that the overall stock market is poised to tank, then the $10 floor might still be attractive, but then why not just put your money into bonds or something?

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Chad Sexington posted:

I guess if your read is that the overall stock market is poised to tank, then the $10 floor might still be attractive, but then why not just put your money into bonds or something?

Mostly low-risk lottery tickets, bonds don't have the potential for a pop like a SPAC could. I'm not looking for SPACs to invest in like during the bubble, but I'll hold money in some of the ones that have seemingly good management teams.

My main thing is diversity, I'm not keeping a significant % of my portfolio in any 1 thing.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Just dumped all my DHHC at a loss after seeing the giant cluster around Lordstown AND their failure to file quarterly reports. Not at all what you want to see from a management group.

HelloNewman
Aug 8, 2007

When you control the mail, you control information!

So FTOC is evidently merging with Payoneer. Why is it still trading so close to $10?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

HelloNewman posted:

So FTOC is evidently merging with Payoneer. Why is it still trading so close to $10?

Why wouldn't it?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

HelloNewman posted:

This dude did a good writeup.

https://twitter.com/SPACMAN17/status/1398652211262013446

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yes, it's a good writeup. We've had a good 3 months of evidence supporting the theory.

As a result, most DAs have been dead money until after merger (and after the usual post-merger selloff). Plus there's no NAV floor to protect you at that point.

So either you gamble on which merged companies will do well (which requires a high degree of skill/research to be consistently profitable) or you stick to quality pre-LOI SPACs and hope they land a good target at a good price, and generate profit because prices right now are about as low as they can go.

Since you can buy most of those for 9.75 - 9.95 right now, your maximum losses are very minimal as long as you don't hold through merger.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 10, 2021

HelloNewman
Aug 8, 2007

When you control the mail, you control information!

Thanks! Those responses / Twitter thread are incredibly helpful for me to better understand the valuation.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
CCV in talks with Thrasio to take it public.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve just been sitting on it but are any of you also sitting on ALTU? I accidentally unbookmarked this thread awhile ago and I’m way behind.

Edit: 6/18 10c are at 0.01 lol :birdthunk:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Rolo posted:

I’ve just been sitting on it but are any of you also sitting on ALTU? I accidentally unbookmarked this thread awhile ago and I’m way behind.

Edit: 6/18 10c are at 0.01 lol :birdthunk:

Nope. Got spooked and rolled out of it before it was announced that Aerion died.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
Svok, womp womp to that 6 cent spike off of DA.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

GrandmaParty posted:

Nope. Got spooked and rolled out of it before it was announced that Aerion died.

Ooops. This is what I get for forgetting to check up on something.

At least it wasn’t a lot.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Joiny posted:

Svok, womp womp to that 6 cent spike off of DA.

Good valuation, I honestly expected more price movement. I bought in at 9.80 so it's disappointing but no big deal. GSAH was far more annoying to me today.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 14, 2021

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Anyone else still holding ALUS? Merger vote is coming up next week.

I kind of like Freyr, but given the low trading volume AND that it's trading under redemption value... seems like maybe not a good idea to hold.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

wow, this thread sure has been exciting

heh

real talk though: now that we know SPACs are dead, what's next?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

wow, this thread sure has been exciting

heh

real talk though: now that we know SPACs are dead, what's next?

cryp- oh wait

movax
Aug 30, 2008

$BCYP didn't even move on DA. Exit ramp, made $2!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
The game has changed. It's a lot more involved now and it's playing these things as they exit spactown and move to despactown.

Like slinging stocks

Gross.

(Get into warrants below a buck).

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Lol, I was holding onto my swbk until a da was announced, but apparently that happened a month ago it was just such a wet fart that it didn't even blip the price. Oh well, that was my last spac. :byewhore:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BTAQ, SVOK, ACEV and TINV are my leftover turds -- still kinda hoping BTAQ does something but I'll just be happy to get out break-even at this point.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm loading the gently caress up on hcic warrants.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

GrandmaParty posted:

I'm loving furious at the turd that is ASTS.

She is no longer a turd.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Anybody else on the MUDS/TOPP train? :toot:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Fingers crossed that Polestar is gonna go CCIV style nuts.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

RIP $ACEV/$ACEVW

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Let's talk about how the game is played now.

1. Institutions buy spac units for $10.00 and split them into commons and warrants.
2. They sell the warrants for a (small but guaranteed) profit and hold the commons.
3. They'll still sell off commons until the price goes below ten because it's still profit for them.
4. If the price is under $10.00 on redemption time, they'll redeem because it's guaranteed profit. This makes the stock take a deuce.
5. In bringing a company public, a lot of times the spac company employs a pipe, who buys a massive amount of shares at $10.00.
6. After merger, they want to protect their investment, so they'll hedge by shorting shares. If the stock goes up, great, their stock goes up. If it doesn't, they still made the profit from the short.

Buy cheap warrants and post-merger commons.

I like ORGN at these levels a lot.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 21, 2021

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

One of my last handful of holdings announced yesterday. SPAQ is merging with Allego, a Dutch EV charging company with pretty sketchy revenue projections. My DA "pop" was from 9.70 to 9.88.

Shame for me, really, since I played it well according to the older rules of the road. Got units under $10.50. Team with a track record. An EV company! If this had been November 2020 I'd have almost doubled my money.

Oh well, trying to decide whether to just liquidate commons now or wait and get my :10bux:. Has anyone ever actually tried to redeem shares for cash at the vote? I'm imagining they make it a pain in the rear end.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Took a tiny loss on the GRSV before the vote tomorrow. Oh well. Couldve been worse

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Don't hold anything through merger, much less PIPE unlock. PIPE exists only to gently caress you and steal your loving money.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Now that SPACs have run out of steam, what's the next "thing" that guarantees vast levels of wealth?

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
Crypto, obviously!

(kidding)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Now that SPACs have run out of steam, what's the next "thing" that guarantees vast levels of wealth?

Despacs