Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

https://twitter.com/playapex/status/1785323501055783383

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
When is there likely to be another new map?

runchild
May 26, 2010

Not this season, this time we’re getting an update to Broken Moon. And it seems like it involves an alternate-universe version of Olympus that crashed into it? Weird, but okay.

The old cadence was a new map every fourth season starting with the third, but that would have been last season. So now, who knows.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Conduit's homeworld has been teased as the next map for years; some concept art for the POIs just got leaked last week. Could be a while before it actually gets released though.

runchild
May 26, 2010

https://youtu.be/hDTorbKavfI?si=geaoq6QkSEPS2Wn8

I hope she looks better in-game cause I am not sold on that character design. It’s got some strong fan-made character vibes.

The season page is up, and it looks like they’re finally bringing back solos. I saw “Solos Taveover” mentioned elsewhere on the site so it’s probably a limited time thing.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Reddit says it might replace the duos playlist for 6 weeks, so I guess I won't be playing the game if that's the case

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

That looks like poo poo lol. They overcorrected after how boring Newcastle was. Azula crossed with Jinx and with 500% more edge.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Last time they had solos I remember every lobby was full of pathfinders perched on clifftop nests and caustics nestled in their burrows.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

High mobility legends have a distinct advantage in solos since they can easily retreat and reset if they’re losing a fight.

I have an iron crown badge for each available legend the last time solos was a thing so it’s not as if the advantage is totally overwhelming but it’s there.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

make solos a permanent option for those that want it, this takeover bullshit is tiresome

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Daztek posted:

Reddit says it might replace the duos playlist for 6 weeks, so I guess I won't be playing the game if that's the case
That would be a poo poo thing to do, since they already have an actual system in place to put in limited time modes without replacing existing poo poo. So I fully expect them to do it the lovely way

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Last time they had solos I remember every lobby was full of pathfinders perched on clifftop nests and caustics nestled in their burrows.
lol

Relyssa posted:

make solos a permanent option for those that want it, this takeover bullshit is tiresome
this.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Today I experienced for the first time, honest to god spawn camping in a Control match. If you're playing Thunderdome Control and your first point is C (the hanger bay/lift off platform) if the enemy team captures that and manages to somehow set up in front of the room in the back that every single player on your team will now spawn in they can just loving... spawn camp you. Permanently.

I stayed till the end for my Valkyrie match, but wow that's the most bullshit experience I've ever had in the game. Everyone else but one player in my squad just quit.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Evil Kit posted:

Today I experienced for the first time, honest to god spawn camping in a Control match. If you're playing Thunderdome Control and your first point is C (the hanger bay/lift off platform) if the enemy team captures that and manages to somehow set up in front of the room in the back that every single player on your team will now spawn in they can just loving... spawn camp you. Permanently.

I stayed till the end for my Valkyrie match, but wow that's the most bullshit experience I've ever had in the game. Everyone else but one player in my squad just quit.

Yeah I've seen that happen a couple times, luckily when it does, the game ends pretty quickly.

FWIW I don't think it checks if you finished the match for the "play matches as legend" quests, it just checks that you were in a match as that legend at all, so once the abandon penalty gets lifted (after a couple people leave), you should be good to go.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Brut posted:

Yeah I've seen that happen a couple times, luckily when it does, the game ends pretty quickly.

FWIW I don't think it checks if you finished the match for the "play matches as legend" quests, it just checks that you were in a match as that legend at all, so once the abandon penalty gets lifted (after a couple people leave), you should be good to go.

You need to be the legend at the end of the match. That's all, you can start as someone else, but it only counts whichever legend you finish as. For Mixtape at least.

Also I stuck it out anyway cause the match was almost over and it was just so absurd lol.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I can only remember Pathfinder and Gibby being everywhere in solos back in the day, the former because he could get to so many places no other characters were able to reach, and Gibby for the health advantage in every 1v1 fight with Fortified and the arm shield.

The new solos mode sounds pretty good to me. Anti rat early proximity warnings for all legends, and an extra lives system like in Bloodhunt solos (which I ended up playing nearly 300 hours), as well as changes to the loot pool which I assume is in the interest of speeding up matches. Looking forward to checking it out.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I am going to play the poo poo out of alter and nobody is going to stop me

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK2p-vZNfPA

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Keito posted:

I can only remember Pathfinder and Gibby being everywhere in solos back in the day, the former because he could get to so many places no other characters were able to reach, and Gibby for the health advantage in every 1v1 fight with Fortified and the arm shield.

The new solos mode sounds pretty good to me. Anti rat early proximity warnings for all legends, and an extra lives system like in Bloodhunt solos (which I ended up playing nearly 300 hours), as well as changes to the loot pool which I assume is in the interest of speeding up matches. Looking forward to checking it out.

Is there a resource where you get this information from? I only see the EA official splash page for the new season and it is decidedly lacking in info lol.

Quick question as someone who has litle experience with seasons and never completed one until now: what happens to my stars now that I'm max level on the season pass?

Also this game owns bones y'all. Enjoying droppin' on fools in pubs (just kidding, I am the fool) and playing mixtape.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Apex is a fantastic pvp FPS with a learning curve so steep it's a sheer cliff, and at the top of the cliff is another cliff representing the no life players that actively try and kick you back down the previous cliff.

When Apex hits tho, it really hits good.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So Alter does what people thought Ash would do when her abilities were initially teased.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
stuff gets leaked a lot, but the new season page just got updated an hour or so ago
https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/news/upheaval-game-updates

my favorite part of the BM updates is that the map is so unmemorable besides promenade and terraformer I don't know where the new POIs are

runchild
May 26, 2010

Those abilities sound cool but she’s still the most Deviantart OC imaginable, in both design and characterization.

kung fu jive posted:

Is there a resource where you get this information from? I only see the EA official splash page for the new season and it is decidedly lacking in info lol.

Not sure where Keito got his info yesterday but the news post about the new season now has some details on the Solos Takeover.

There’s also a news post about customization for the Katar melee weapon. Tying a whole new customization system to a single mythic item is weird. Sure, it’s the one any legend can use, but what tiny percentage of the player base actually has it? There is a bit in the post that basically says the nitride variant hints at a new map though, so maybe we’ll see that next season.

kung fu jive posted:

Quick question as someone who has litle experience with seasons and never completed one until now: what happens to my stars now that I'm max level on the season pass?

Stars are useless after the battle pass is complete. Next season’s battle pass will start fresh.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Evil Kit posted:

Apex is a fantastic pvp FPS with a learning curve so steep it's a sheer cliff, and at the top of the cliff is another cliff representing the no life players that actively try and kick you back down the previous cliff.

When Apex hits tho, it really hits good.

I feel this vibe.

99% of my matches are an introduction to the inside of a dumpster. I just stopped caring and started enjoying the rare moments where I pop off. And to be fair, I have a lot of improvement to make.

Right now I am trying to unlearn the bad habit of taking every fight, all-in, dick out, let's loving go. I think it just happens in pubs and with my inexperienced mindset that when I see an enemy I have to fight them right now. Reading the situation and deciding if it's favorable, unfavorable, or impossible before engaging is top of my mind now. The hard part is getting that assessment right (will come with time I hope), and communicating that to my team. I've been using my mic more but half the time my team just all-ins no matter what I say, leaving me 1v3 which I assure you I cannot convert most of the time. Maybe I will have more success in ranked? I'm sure all of this will come with more time and experience.

Also, movement. gently caress, it's hard. I spend a little bit of time in the firing range just bopping around but it's directionless and I don't know what to practice. I should really find a guide or something because my time is limited. I'm not trying to become a sweaty god at this game but there is something those players have unlocked that I don't have.

runchild posted:

Those abilities sound cool but she’s still the most Deviantart OC imaginable, in both design and characterization.

Not sure where Keito got his info yesterday but the news post about the new season now has some details on the Solos Takeover.

There’s also a news post about customization for the Katar melee weapon. Tying a whole new customization system to a single mythic item is weird. Sure, it’s the one any legend can use, but what tiny percentage of the player base actually has it? There is a bit in the post that basically says the nitride variant hints at a new map though, so maybe we’ll see that next season.

Stars are useless after the battle pass is complete. Next season’s battle pass will start fresh.

This is awesome info, thanks!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

kung fu jive posted:

Right now I am trying to unlearn the bad habit of taking every fight, all-in, dick out, let's loving go. I think it just happens in pubs and with my inexperienced mindset that when I see an enemy I have to fight them right now. Reading the situation and deciding if it's favorable, unfavorable, or impossible before engaging is top of my mind now. The hard part is getting that assessment right (will come with time I hope), and communicating that to my team. I've been using my mic more but half the time my team just all-ins no matter what I say, leaving me 1v3 which I assure you I cannot convert most of the time. Maybe I will have more success in ranked? I'm sure all of this will come with more time and experience.
if you want to improve at fighting, you need to be taking 99% of the fights you find yourself in with the mindset of "we should be loving dudes", and in the context of unranked matches that means going full dick in with your half brain cell pubbies, because the only thing worse than a bad push is a bad push you don't take as a full 3 man

quote:

Also, movement. gently caress, it's hard. I spend a little bit of time in the firing range just bopping around but it's directionless and I don't know what to practice. I should really find a guide or something because my time is limited. I'm not trying to become a sweaty god at this game but there is something those players have unlocked that I don't have.

I think the only 2 movement techniques that are critical to learn are how not to deadslide and how to ledge slide,

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

runchild posted:

I am going to play diet lady joker and it's gonna be great

re: katar - leaks say they'll be selling those + reactive skins for a new currency this coming season, so don't you worry more people will be able to spend stupid amounts of money on a skin

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

dragon enthusiast posted:

if you want to improve at fighting, you need to be taking 99% of the fights you find yourself in with the mindset of "we should be loving dudes", and in the context of unranked matches that means going full dick in with your half brain cell pubbies, because the only thing worse than a bad push is a bad push you don't take as a full 3 man

I think the only 2 movement techniques that are critical to learn are how not to deadslide and how to ledge slide,

great, so by not loving dudes i've been loving my team. i'm the bad guy by trying to be cute. thanks for the advice, i will go forth dick out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

kung fu jive posted:

great, so by not loving dudes i've been loving my team. i'm the bad guy by trying to be cute. thanks for the advice, i will go forth dick out

Pretty much. You can learn what fights are goood to take and bad to take with experience and it can be a nebulous concept but the basics are just simple math. A 2v3 is very hard to win even if other factors are in your favor. Even if it’s a bad fight, once your squad is committed it’s better to go all in sometimes.