Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

What's the most forgiving shotgun and how do I use it (hip fire, ADS, further away than you'd think etc)?

I'm finding I contribute more consistently to team fights with the RE-45, Volt. Rampage, and Spitfire. Basically guns that let me fire a controllable stream and put some damage on the enemy. The problem with this is I mostly play Gibraltar and his skill tree a d bubble fighting both push me to shotgun, but I'm rusty and I miss way more meat shots than I hit.

Use the mastiff and quickly ads when you fire unless the target is literally touching you. The spread tightens when you ads so it can hit hard at a surprising range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Jack B Nimble posted:

What's the most forgiving shotgun and how do I use it (hip fire, ADS, further away than you'd think etc)?

I'm finding I contribute more consistently to team fights with the RE-45, Volt. Rampage, and Spitfire. Basically guns that let me fire a controllable stream and put some damage on the enemy. The problem with this is I mostly play Gibraltar and his skill tree a d bubble fighting both push me to shotgun, but I'm rusty and I miss way more meat shots than I hit.

With Gibby you want to make sure you eat some damage with your arm shield which requires ADSing, the mastiff pretty much needs to be ADS’d to do significant damage. The PK you can disable the choke and hipfire if you want but with him it’s prob better to just use the choke. The mozam is probably the easiest to use.

That said I play on roller and suck with Gibby and shotguns and like to hipfire so I kinda just avoid all these things.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My mozzy experience lately is flicking shots alternatingly left and right of my opponent and then dying. I just find the shotguns aren't very forgiving, probably because close quarters is just so lethal generally

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

repiv posted:

EAC are saying it's not them, so implying it's an engine RCE

https://twitter.com/TeddyEAC/status/1769725032047972566

That's the first post that account has made in 5 years, they definitely wanted to wash their hands of the problem as much as they possibly could.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BabelFish posted:

That's the first post that account has made in 5 years, they definitely wanted to wash their hands of the problem as much as they possibly could.

I'm honestly surprised they still had people working there and it wasn't just a fully automated company.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yes cheats may have gotten through and may have ruined a tournament but that's definitely not our problem, here at Easy Anti Cheat

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

well yeah their product is easy anti cheat, not good anti cheat

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

one of my former roommates was one of the people let go from respawn and they were only notified when they called in to find out why their log-in wasnt working. never change ea.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Jiro posted:

I'm honestly surprised they still had people working there and it wasn't just a fully automated company.

I think they went quiet shortly after being acquired by Epic so that's why they aren't tweeting directly under normal circumstances, but this was such a negative public thing it would be weird if the statement about EAC came from Epic directly, they probably don't want the attention.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Yes cheats may have gotten through and may have ruined a tournament but that's definitely not our problem, here at Easy Anti Cheat

lol I get what you're saying but this dude has clearly compromised the entire server, he's like spawning thousands of free packs for people and sniping their lobbies with armies of bots, that seems a bit outside the scope of clientside anti cheat.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Had nobody tried putting in the konami code on server select until now

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Brut posted:

I think they went quiet shortly after being acquired by Epic so that's why they aren't tweeting directly under normal circumstances, but this was such a negative public thing it would be weird if the statement about EAC came from Epic directly, they probably don't want the attention.

lol I get what you're saying but this dude has clearly compromised the entire server, he's like spawning thousands of free packs for people and sniping their lobbies with armies of bots, that seems a bit outside the scope of clientside anti cheat.

yeah this kind of poo poo has literally been going on for years with respawn. idk how their security practices are so fuckin bad, but there's absolutely a story there because by all appearances significant amounts of their backend have been compromised for much of the last 5 years. like yeah the issue isn't eac, it isn't even in eac's ballpark, it's that respawn appears to have literally some of the worst security practices of any major studio

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
so...have they posted about it, like, at all?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd even be willing to believe it could of just been the pro players being careless with a email phishing scam to get access to their computers if not for [gestures vaguely in the direction of titanfall2 and the massive issues there]

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Sai-kun posted:

so...have they posted about it, like, at all?

Basically no. So there's like a thousand different competing theories and explanations and no hard information to go on whatsoever it's all vibes.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Also they recently laid off the apex community lead :)

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/1770285073688137762

err
Apr 11, 2005

If anyone is curious about competitive Apex, it's pretty interesting to follow. The recent Evo changes shook up the meta a bit. Some teams immediately go to zone with blue shields while others like Dark Zero intentionally go and get purple/red to fight teams early.

People always think it's too RNG but Dark Zero and TSM are always pretty consistently top performers with multiple LAN wins.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

err posted:

If anyone is curious about competitive Apex, it's pretty interesting to follow. The recent Evo changes shook up the meta a bit. Some teams immediately go to zone with blue shields while others like Dark Zero intentionally go and get purple/red to fight teams early.

People always think it's too RNG but Dark Zero and TSM are always pretty consistently top performers with multiple LAN wins.

There's a couple teams completely head and shoulders above the rest in their respective regions right now, specifically DarkZero and Aurora in NA/EMEA respectively. Hell, in the hacking game where Gen dropped pretty soon after the hack thing happened, DZ still managed to finish 2nd that game and realistically should've easily mopped up the win.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
too bad aurora probably won't be able to make LAN, again, as they are russian citizens who need longer to get US visas in time for the June ALGS

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
TSM actually isn't doing so hot this split.

Last night's episode of the Wide Swing podcast was real good. One thing they were talking about is how this seasons changes make playing zone so much harder than edge due to armor differences, you're basically stuck on blue if you play zone. DZ has been far and away the best this split and their strategy is to go to all the caches and get reds then go bully people. They said it's much more rewarding to do pve chores than shoot another player, no idea how much of that is sour grapes though since some of the participants teams have been struggling.

err
Apr 11, 2005

Interview with the hacker here:

quote:

In an interview with TechCrunch, the hacker Destroyer2009 took credit for the hacks, saying that he did it “just for fun,” and with the goal of forcing the Apex Legends’ developers to fix the vulnerability he exploited.

The hacks sent the Apex Legends community into a frenzy, with countless streamers reacting to the incidents. Some players suggested that Apex Legends is not safe to play and that every player could could potentially be at risk; that could apply to not only in-game, but having their computers hacked, too.

Destroyer2009 declined to provide details of how he allegedly pulled off hacking the two players midgame or which specific vulnerabilities he exploited.

“I really don’t want to go into the details until everything is fully patched and everything goes back to normal,” the hacker said. The only thing Destroyer2009 said regarding the technique he used was that the vulnerability “has nothing to do with the server and I’ve never touched anything outside of the Apex process,” and that he did not hack the two players’ computers directly.

The hacks “never went outside of the game,” he said.

Destroyer2009 said he did not report the vulnerability to Respawn, the video game developer that makes Apex Legends, because neither the company nor the game’s publisher, Electronic Arts, offer a bug bounty program that financially rewards hackers and researchers for privately reporting security flaws.

“They know how to patch it without anyone reporting it to them,” he said.

Talking about the hacks he did during the tournament, Destroyer2009 said that he “went viral, but not many people would have used an exploit like that in an absolutely innocent way for players.”

“Just imagine if it wasn’t a joke and we didn’t put any memes in the cheat, I’m pretty sure you can ruin someone’s career if they had a cheat pop up on a tournament,” said Destroyer2009, defending his actions in an attempt to show that he never had malicious intentions.
https://techcrunch.com/2024/03/20/apex-legends-hacker-said-he-hacked-tournament-games-for-fun/

Hackan Slash posted:

TSM actually isn't doing so hot this split.

Last night's episode of the Wide Swing podcast was real good. One thing they were talking about is how this seasons changes make playing zone so much harder than edge due to armor differences, you're basically stuck on blue if you play zone. DZ has been far and away the best this split and their strategy is to go to all the caches and get reds then go bully people. They said it's much more rewarding to do pve chores than shoot another player, no idea how much of that is sour grapes though since some of the participants teams have been struggling.

Yeah, I listened to that. I wouldn't trust them too much; they are all struggling. TSM was in shambles just a week ago and were trying out Rampart and Ballistic out of frustration. OG and Xset, which were on the podcast, are probably going to do roster changes after this season too.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

https://youtu.be/M82iTOsGoF8?si=0zKYw7pMeCC5f9HE

https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/news/shadow-society-event

-LTM is a mixtape-style mode
-Free rewards are shop-style like the Post Malone and FF7 events
-Pretty extensive patch notes
-Three Strikes is mentioned in the patch notes but it doesn’t say anything about it being available

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Poor KC is the only map not in rotation. :'(

Patch notes posted:

Default Legend pick (whoever you were in Lobby) now shows as your selection to teammates unless you hover over another legend

Awesome!

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
that's cool. also revenant, conduit , Bangalore, and care package changes sound good. Its annoying getting krabered 5 mins into a game.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is fear of a remote code execution keeping anyone else from playing?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is fear of a remote code execution keeping anyone else from playing?

no. It also seems to be highly unlikely at this point to be an RCE

runchild
May 26, 2010

The April Fools Mozambiques are back. And it sounds like later rings have lower gravity and weapon kickback.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

the lower gravity is all the time, it just increases as the rings get closer.

Today, Rampart is a mobility legend. :getin:

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

it's really, really funny. I won a game earlier with 10 kills running RE-45 & mozambique kraber. Eked it out as a solo vs a team of 3 because one guy just said see ya to his team and blasted off away from them as they died to my maggie ult outside the ring.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Evil Kit posted:

the lower gravity is all the time, it just increases as the rings get closer.

Today, Rampart is a mobility legend. :getin:

Now that I’ve played a couple matches I can’t say I’ve noticed any gravity difference in the first few rings. And I haven’t had a team survive into the later ones :/

Also the “normal” BR doesn’t count for BR daily challenges today, lol.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

runchild posted:

Now that I’ve played a couple matches I can’t say I’ve noticed any gravity difference in the first few rings. And I haven’t had a team survive into the later ones :/

Also the “normal” BR doesn’t count for BR daily challenges today, lol.

it works for rings survived and that's all that matters!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

"Huh, why is it suddenly telling me about cross progression" I think to myself as I launch Apex.

https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/1775215429289742754

Holy poo poo they hosed up real bad

Edit: I'm curious enough to waste the 50gb of bandwidth, gonna download Apex in the EA client to see if it just dumped my progression there (I usually play through Steam).

Edit2: Nope, logging in via EA shows exactly the same stuff as going through Steam, so this isn't like the account got cleaved in half. :shrug:

Brut fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 2, 2024

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Also on Steam, my entire battle pass got reset to zero but all my other stuff is intact.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Battlepass reset, rank zero'd out, saw a few comments saying anything purchased is gone, in addition to older seasons ranked rewards being gone from earlier this year.

lol, lmao

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Shame their database admin cost so much!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/1775270277322301837

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
at the risk of overusing this sentence lately wrt apex 'man that's one huge fuckup'

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Respawn: we are now implementing NFTs so your digital items are safe and stored on the electronic arts blockchain for the next few weeks until we fire that one weird crypto guy and never mention this again

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
that weird crypto guy's name? destroyer2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/1775447745526149510

Respawn: We messed up!

Maybe you're getting your stuff back now.