Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best superbowl food
Pizza
Wings
Chili
Nachos
Lasagna
BBQ
Fried chicken
Other
View Results

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Come on y’all, I hear lots of good dip ideas, you gotta post those! I need some suggestions, I’m scaling down a bit this year from the usual and only making chili, bread, and a potato casserole, but I could use some good apps to go with.

I made this last year for Thanksgiving and it was a huge hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

DariusLikewise posted:

I might gently caress around and air fry some wings for the Super Bowl for my wife and I

Burginator posted:

I'm gonna make myself about 3 pounds of wings in the air fryer, bathe it all in some buffalo, and I'm going to eat it all while I watch Tom Brady lose another super bowl

Post your recipe please. I just got an air fryer and would love to make some delicious wings.

Also guidance on what to buy at the store in terms of chicken will help me greatly. Treat me like a dope (I am).

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Post your recipe please. I just got an air fryer and would love to make some delicious wings.

Also guidance on what to buy at the store in terms of chicken will help me greatly. Treat me like a dope (I am).

My grocer and butcher will usually have wings pre cut into drums and flats on a tray that you can buy because they usually break down chickens to sell the breasts, thighs and necks etc seperately anyway. The only time i can't get them pre cut you get a whole wing and you just need to do a quick cut. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar2NkhEsJCE to separate the wings and flats.

The other thing that I will usually do is cut them the day before and then before I go to bed or first thing in the morning I'll toss them in a bowl with baking powder, salt and pepper and then sit them on a baking tray uncovered on the top rack of the fridge (careful not to let anything near the chicken to avoid contamination). This draws the moisture out of the skin and helps them get extra crispy.

I'll usually put them into two batches once they're finished cooking and toss one half in lemon zest, olive oil, lemon juice and cracked pepper and put them into a hot oven for a few minutes to bake the seasoning into them. The other half I'll usually toss with whatever - buffalo sauce, bbq sauce, sweet chilli, honey/soy and some sesame seeds and do the same bake method just to get them glazed. Usually 5 or 10 mins in a hot oven is enough.

This year though I'm going to run a cucumber through a mandolin, cut a carrot into match stick size pieces, fry up some spam cut about 5mm thick and then throw it all into some rice paper rolls with vermicelli noodles, pickled red onion, fresh lettuce to make some spring rolls. I might make a dipping sauce with peanut butter, hoisin, soy, little water and some siracha too. It's going to be stinking hot on superbowl day here so it'll be nice to have something light and fresh for lunch while I watch it.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

BlindSite posted:

The only time i can't get them pre cut you get a whole wing and you just need to do a quick cut. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar2NkhEsJCE to separate the wings and flats.

The other thing that I will usually do is cut them the day before and then before I go to bed or first thing in the morning I'll toss them in a bowl with baking powder, salt and pepper and then sit them on a baking tray uncovered on the top rack of the fridge (careful not to let anything near the chicken to avoid contamination). This draws the moisture out of the skin and helps them get extra crispy.

I'll usually put them into two batches once they're finished cooking and toss one half in lemon zest, olive oil, lemon juice and cracked pepper and put them into a hot oven for a few minutes to bake the seasoning into them. The other half I'll usually toss with whatever - buffalo sauce, bbq sauce, sweet chilli, honey/soy and some sesame seeds and do the same bake method just to get them glazed. Usually 5 or 10 mins in a hot oven is enough.

I just got an air fryer as well, so this is great info for me. Thanks!

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

My wife and I are literally finishing our whole30 diet on Superbowl Sunday. This is our splurge before we start up again on Monday lol.

We're going bougie, we're going all out. Every year we're either in Vegas/Reno/or at our friends house but this year we moved, so we can't go. No food all day other than the superbowl food.

-Cheese plate with specials from the Marin French Cheese company: brie, schloss, and english breakfast cheese. Also from Laura Chenel: truffle oil marinated goat cheese (life changing if you're a cheese fan).
-Probably 10 or so wings for me tossed in Frank's Red Hot and Butter with bleu cheese and ranch dipping sauces (she's a pescatarian, I do chicken)
-Smoked salmon on toasted baguettes with cream cheese and capers
-Deviled eggs with horseradish mustard
-Spinach dip
-A chicken brat with peppers that I'm gonna put in the slow cooker and have at half time. I'll simmer them in Rao's marinara and melt some mozzarella over it in a bun.
-Red potato salad

How do those air fryers work, overall? I'm really curious, I keep seeing them but I'd love to get some goon opinions on them.

BlindSite posted:

Great info, thank you so much for this pro tip. I've done a few different methods in the past and haven't really found a great one that I love. I tried Kenji's wings from Serious Eats where he basically does them confit the night before on low heat and then blasts them the day of but it's just too damned much work imo and not as good as I'd like. This sounds perfect.

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Feb 6, 2021

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
My only experience with an air fryer was my girlfriend making wings with them, and they were surprisingly decent, a 97% acceptable substitute for actual frying IMO. More importantly, here’s a halfway decent sauce I highly recommend, stupidly easy and quite delicious:

1/2 C gochujang
6 tbsp cider vinegar
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp sesame oil

For my part, because it’s just the two of us I’m keeping it light, whipping up my usual chili, some focaccia, a dip for veggies so we pretend it’s healthy, and Braksgirl’s potato casserole. Gonna get fat, gonna enjoy it!

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I cook so much poo poo in the air fryer now. Mainly chicken nuggets for my kids but grown up food is good too. Wings are very good in them though mine is too small for a Super Bowl batch

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

BlindSite posted:

My grocer and butcher will usually have wings pre cut into drums and flats on a tray that you can buy because they usually break down chickens to sell the breasts, thighs and necks etc seperately anyway. The only time i can't get them pre cut you get a whole wing and you just need to do a quick cut. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar2NkhEsJCE to separate the wings and flats.

This year though I'm going to run a cucumber through a mandolin, cut a carrot into match stick size pieces, fry up some spam cut about 5mm thick and then throw it all into some rice paper rolls with vermicelli noodles, pickled red onion, fresh lettuce to make some spring rolls. I might make a dipping sauce with peanut butter, hoisin, soy, little water and some siracha too. It's going to be stinking hot on superbowl day here so it'll be nice to have something light and fresh for lunch while I watch it.

Thank you! My store only had some frozen ones (unprepared) so letting those thaw overnight and will do what you said.

Any advice on air fryer temps and times?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I have the Ninja Air Foodi 4 in 1 Air Fryer and wings usually take ~25m at 375F. Same process as everyone else describe, pat the wings with paper towel and make sure they are dry, coat in baking power/salt/pepper and space them out nice in the air fryer and give them a spray of olive oil. I usually just sauce them in a Frank's/Butter/Celery Salt mix or whatever BBQ sauce I've picked up recently.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Sorry mate I've only ever oven baked, deep fried or grilled.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

BlindSite posted:

Sorry mate I've only ever oven baked, deep fried or grilled.

The prep was what I was mostly referring to.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

The prep was what I was mostly referring to.

No worries at all. Happy to help

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
This is gonna be my first SuperBowl alone, well, at least without a bar to go to.

Trying to think what I should make for myself tomorrow...I don't have a grill unfortunately otherwise it would be ribs or something like that.

50% chance I just order a pizza or something but EVERYONE will be too so...

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Order now? I do that for stuff here all the time when they're going to be stupid busy. Most places will take an advance order.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

BlindSite posted:

Order now? I do that for stuff here all the time when they're going to be stupid busy. Most places will take an advance order.

Yeah, my cousin was like "get here early so we can avoid the order rush." Uh, maybe order ahead?

We'll see how that poo poo show pans out SB evening.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Yeah, my cousin was like "get here early so we can avoid the order rush." Uh, maybe order ahead?

We'll see how that poo poo show pans out SB evening.

This is why on days like the Super Bowl, it's always better to make stuff at home. Ordering ahead or not, restaurant kitchens are going to be loving slammed hard, and the odds of an order getting screwed up are exponentially higher. This would be one of the last days of the year I'd order some pizzas or a platter of wings or something, because kitchens are going to be completely focused upon volume, not quality.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BlindSite posted:

Yes, order early.

I was delivering pizzas during Superbowl 38 (Panthers vs Patriots) in NC so everyone was hyped and it was a madhouse all day until like early in the 4th quarter and nobody was ordering pizza and was instead watching the game.

Chinatown: Order your pizza like 3 hours before kickoff. It will be fine all day, it's delivery pizza.

edit: at home we're having wings from a local supermarket and then healthy salad and chicken for dinner

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 7, 2021

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

CannonFodder posted:

Chinatown: Order your pizza like 3 hours before kickoff. It will be fine all day, it's delivery pizza.

Thank you.

I have decided to combine my love of bacon, cream cheese, and jalapenos into jalapeno poppers. (Might still get a pizza too)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
gonna air fry a bunch of frozen things and wash tem down with a handful of Lipitor.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Just made some pimento cheese following The NY Times recipe. Gonna pair that with some cocktail wieners and probably some mild cheese nachos so my anti-spice kids will eat it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Braksgirl is making a nacho bar and a homemade king cake for the Super Bowl. Also, homemade queso that is a Torchy's Tacos clone and homemade salsa.

The diet may be postponed today.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

About to marinate my steak

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Smoked this brisket on Friday for about 2 hours. Saturday morning it went into a sous vide to cook at 155°F for 26 hours. Gave it an ice bath this morning and it's back on the smoker for a final smoke & to get to temp. Theoretically it should be up by 2pm PST & ready to consume by kickoff.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I wimped out. I'm just gonna do Pizza and hot Wings tonight. I may not have beer....maybe whiskey and bourbon.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I lied. It'll be spaghetti and meatballs with a side of croissant and beer.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm having leftover salmon and lentil hummus

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Gatts posted:

I wimped out. I'm just gonna do Pizza and hot Wings tonight. I may not have beer....maybe whiskey and bourbon.

Uh... why no more bourbon? Bourbon goes with everything.

Appropriately themed doughnuts (TB, KC, and SEA) from Top Pot in Seattle:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm getting anxious & indecisive. My brisket is done & sitting in a cooler, but I feel like I should have wings. Should I order wings? It's getting pretty close to game time & I expect places to be slammed.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

generic one posted:

Uh... why no more bourbon? Bourbon goes with everything.

Appropriately themed doughnuts (TB, KC, and SEA) from Top Pot in Seattle:

I meant I will be drinking whiskey and bourbon. But then I went to the store to get some veggies and cheese for the pasta sauce so I ended up picking a bottle each of Thirsty Dog's Blood Orange IPA and Fathead's Holly Jolly Christmas Ale. My regular store, Lizardville, is closed today otherwise I'd have grabbed some fancier beer.

So depending on how I want to go...I could start off with the whiskey and bourbon for shots then get into the beer. I've got Four Roses and Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. I'll be making a Rum Runner for my Mom.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I caved in & ordered wings from Prey & Tell. They should arrive around kickoff.

I am weak.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Android Apocalypse posted:

I am weak.

That ain’t weak. That’s just smart.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I mean I am weak because I already have a brisket I've been prepping since Friday all ready for the game. There was really no reason whatsoever to get more food as I'm here watching the game by myself.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Android Apocalypse posted:

I am weak.

drat, that looks great. I live in the midwest and don't get the cool food the coasts do.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Ahahaha I know Rich from Woody's Grill and Tap holy poo poo

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Braksgirl's homemade king cake:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Silly Burrito posted:

Braksgirl's homemade king cake:

:asoiaf:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I got some strawberry pop tarts from the gas station

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I made Chilaquiles.

They're good

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Pizza!

Homemade crust. Topped with a mix of mozzarella and red wine cheese, crumbled bacon, pepperoni, mushrooms and three bulbs worth of sauteed garlic. It took longer than I care to admit to chop all of that.

Wanted to make it closer to game time but didn't want to make wife and daughter wait that late. Had a slice and I'm really proud of the way the crust came out. A little dark but crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Had one slice for now and I'll reheat some more for myself around kickoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I have made my sought after buffalo chicken dip containing local chicken tenders, which are the best in the world, ranked. However with no party, I get to kill myself with it on my own.

I have also made a wood grilled pizza.

Let's go Torm Brody