Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Trots are honorary anarchists

E. As are any white Maoists other than Brace

Norm Finkelstein was a Maoist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/arts-letters/articles/qa-norman-finkelstein posted:

INTERVIEWER: What are Chomsky’s biggest flaws?

NORMAN FINKELSTEIN: I’m never going to say. Because Chomsky’s biggest virtue, you know what it is? Aside from his staggering intellect and absolute faithfulness, Professor Chomsky never betrayed a friend. He will defend them even though inside he knows that they’re completely wrong.

So, how did I meet him? I had been a Maoist, and then when the Gang of Four was overthrown I was completely distraught. I was bedridden for three weeks, it was a very painful experience for me. Not only because I had been wrong, but because I felt really embarrassed that I had been lecturing and pontificating with such self-confidence.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AnarkYouTube/status/1780741222492954687?t=NztXU1j0hFgjaqAtVgmTsw&s=19

This guy is so loving stupid on multiple different levels

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

that's exactly the problem; per the accounts of karl radek and, i must admit, leon trotsky, the "kronstadt sailors" who actually fomented the revolt were the replacements for the regular sailors, who were busy fighting for the red army

https://www.marxists.org/archive/radek/1921/04/kronstadt.htm Radek

https://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/1921/military/ch61.htm Trotsky

Kronstadt was chosen as the point nearest to Europe and to Petrograd. Since, in the present international situation of our Republic, the Baltic fleet can play no active role, it has inevitably been denuded of manpower as well. An enormous number of the revolutionary sailors who played a very big role in the October revolution of 1917 were transferred to other fields of work during the past period.

More here : https://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/1938/01/kronstadt.htm

I would consider modern day (or cold war era) trotskyists invoking kronstadt as ironic, given Trotsky's own writings on the subject - but it's not really if you consider "trotskyism" as a catchall banner for anti-communist communists, whose purpose is to guide people sympathetic to communism down a path where they end up opposing it and supporting the aims of the imperial core. These days it's more fashionable for those types to identify as anarchist because its cooler and doesn't evoke the unwashed smell of the guy trying to sell you papers on campus, but the fundamental people and tendency are the same

mila kunis has issued a correction as of 01:46 on Apr 20, 2024

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/AnarkYouTube/status/1780392860648444366

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Solidarity_Star/status/1781182358147764545?t=b8zDihthjtxfX4khur5cIg&s=19

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The rise of China specifically came about because the qin crushed feudal society in favor of an absolute monarchy with a bureaucracy of educated elites.

There were still some feudal characteristics in every dynasty, but the assumption in every single coherent dynasty was that the military served the emperor through his appointed generals.

Not local military that owed allegiance to higher lords.

Now you could make the case that the presence of the landlord system and generational title transfer counts as feudal, but that's only a quarter step from saying today's United States is feudal (okay now I see that they're right)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

an "R" chists

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

This is the guy calling you bloodthirsty for saying anything positive about the USSR

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

when I'm in the same room as the State Department's enemies I just start killing

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

my bony fealty posted:

an "R" chists

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

when I'm in the same room as the State Department's enemies I just start killing

Once more I reluctantly act for the evil empire, sighing at the cruel fate that somehow aligned our interests for the hundredth time

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

my bony fealty posted:

an "R" chists

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

quote:

identify as anarchist because its cooler and doesn't evoke the unwashed smell

:dafuq:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
It's a core tenant of anarchism to kill all presidents, union presidents, student council presidents, camp residents.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

its well known that anarchists hate sharks, President of the fishes

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

do you wanna smell like piss and BO or weed and BO?

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
Antardchists.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

the first part is correct but the second part i dont even understand at all

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/justinarchie/status/1782523720088596982?s=46&t=UyfxoSAUKW7QZlR_GhkuYA

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

lol what

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

anarchist slave taking

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

when a member of the community busts a deal, they are then required to "spin the wheel"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Prison abolition was a dark time for "leftist discourse." The abolitionists weren't all that interested in explaining what they actually believed because they already knew this is where it would end up. Coming up with Puritan horror for godless communards.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Prison abolition was a dark time for "leftist discourse." The abolitionists weren't all that interested in explaining what they actually believed because they already knew this is where it would end up. Coming up with Puritan horror for godless communards.

shirley jackson-rear end vision of society

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Drowning people in front of their families is pretty metal. I like it.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Okay so what if, one by one, the family of the killer takes out the rest of the members of the victim's family and slowly takes the other family over completely thereby escaping the drowning penalty?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
the hatfields and mccoys represented the highest form of rehabilitative justice

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

LuxuryLarva posted:

Okay so what if, one by one, the family of the killer takes out the rest of the members of the victim's family and slowly takes the other family over completely thereby escaping the drowning penalty?

:hmmyes:

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Al! posted:

when a member of the community busts a deal, they are then required to "spin the wheel"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Al! posted:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

pinochet's ritualistic empathy ceremonies,

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
thinking about how medieval germans thought that the best way to rehabilitate and save a murderers soul was to beat them slowly to death with a wagon wheel

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

thinking about how medieval germans thought that the best way to rehabilitate and save a murderers soul was to beat them slowly to death with a wagon wheel

Rock me mama any way you feel
Hey... mama rock me

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
that makes total sense if you are living like 12,000 years ago. if you cast out the killer they're likely come back to haunt you in some way, and if you don't kill them, you need to have them rapidly reintegrate into the community with a totally new relationship to everyone. To actually think that applies to anything now? I think it's kind of the anarchist problem of orienting things towards a communal life that doesn't exist + primitivism + anarchist conceptions of justice mostly involving brutal hazing or summary execution (or just, not dealing with it)

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Zedhe Khoja posted:

And how would you know it doesn't work?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
was self criticism as huge a practice as it is today with anarchists and communists? I know there's a tradition of it but being tuned into current day anarchists in the first world it seems a lot of focus is on that, almost therapy talk

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lol that is psychotic. it makes the "beating their rear end and dumping them over the county line" solution seem reasonable

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

lol that is psychotic. it makes the "beating their rear end and dumping them over the county line" solution seem reasonable

The Franks had a better system for this with the Weregild. If you murdered a guy then your family had to pay the blood price in money to consider the matter settled. No life debts necessary, no elaborate ritual where the need for revenge is satiated with someone's death. Actually existing prechristian Germanics were more serious about how to handle criminality than "Prison Abolitionists."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
What would happen if you couldnt pay?