Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
There has been a lot of talk about threadbans lately, and some threadbans have actually occurred (OOCC from like every thread ever, hilariously). I don't really remember threadbans being common until recently in this forum, and whenever they come up a lot of people hate the idea. As a fake polls plane, I am not really fond of them myself, and also I feel like there is a lot of mystery around them.

How do threadbans work? Is there any automation or is it all done by the mods? Is there a time limit on threadbans? The oldest threads on the forums are older than some of our posters (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=140694 is the oldest thread confirmed by Jeffrey, from 2002), and numerous megathreads are over 5 years old. If bans spread thread incarnations probably most of the threads in the forums are that way. This seems like the shittiest possible punishment because it's opaque, arbitrary, and open-ended - total cop poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Threadbans suck add and should be last resort poo poo, for when someone just refuses to stop making GBS threads up a thread. Otherwise let the posts roam free

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

really queer Christmas posted:

Threadbans suck add and should be last resort poo poo, for when someone just refuses to stop making GBS threads up a thread. Otherwise let the posts roam free

I like the ol' ban for threadshitting

like if someone is threadshitting that badly, just give them the regular boot

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

if someone's doing something punishable it merits not posting on this dead/gay site at all for whatever time period, not constructing little thread-fiefdoms

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

let the people post.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Our forefathers posted for thousands of years without need for this threadban technology. If you require innovative moderation techniques I recommend the R website

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
if the posters have complaints, let them be heard. if the lurkers have complaints, let them remain silent.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They're dumb. They're very dumb for the forum that prides itself on its ability to bully people.

Threadbans are just one of the knots mods tie themselves up into because they're not willing to tell people "you suck, gently caress off".

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

SchnorkIes posted:

There has been a lot of talk about threadbans lately, and some threadbans have actually occurred (OOCC from like every thread ever, hilariously). I don't really remember threadbans being common until recently in this forum, and whenever they come up a lot of people hate the idea. As a fake polls plane, I am not really fond of them myself, and also I feel like there is a lot of mystery around them.

How do threadbans work? Is there any automation or is it all done by the mods? Is there a time limit on threadbans? The oldest threads on the forums are older than some of our posters (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=140694 is the oldest thread confirmed by Jeffrey, from 2002), and numerous megathreads are over 5 years old. If bans spread thread incarnations probably most of the threads in the forums are that way. This seems like the shittiest possible punishment because it's opaque, arbitrary, and open-ended - total cop poo poo.

Mods please threadban poster "Schnorkles" from this thread. He is clearly posting in bad faith, and his posts have been consistently made solely for the purpose of antagonizing people.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
CSPAM becomes a top-level forum? Looks like threadbans are BACK ON THE MENU boys.

No thread bans ever. No mods. No peace.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
threadbans are silly. anything worth threadbanning for is worth making someone a mod for.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
make OOCC a mod of CSPAM, FYAD, and GiP

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
i, for one, think it's cool and good for the mods to discuss threadbanning people from threads they openly hate having to actually moderate and do not post in without even bothering to talk to the person being considered for a threadban. perfect system.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

threadbanning is a cop move

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I mainly brought it up because

Fly Molo posted:

hey CSPAM mods, you know what's great

waking up to the succ zone renamed something other than [succ], again, along with a fresh pack of libs kramering in to accuse CSPAM of being sexist rape-supporters (???). this thread being under constant attack from dumbasses, both external and internal, while you do nothing or actively make the problem worse is super cool and good.

and I regret it

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

galenanorth posted:

I mainly brought it up because

and I regret it

drat well if you don't want to mod or are bad at being a mod maybe you shouldn't be a mod? part of the job involves figuring out who to listen to and why. constantly renaming the succ zone is bad and stupid. likewise, threadbans are almost always bad and stupid.

keep in mind that just about anyone mashing the report button or begging you to do something is the C-SPAM equivalent of the racist neighbor on nextdoor who calls the cops if they see anyone outside who passes the paper bag test. the mere fact of them summoning you means that you should be extremely skeptical of whatever the gently caress it is they want from you.

this is counter-intuitive and makes your job harder, i know. thems the breaks. it's not like it's a well-kept secret that modding loving sucks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
zdr hid cspam from top bunk wanker on 2016 election night and he had a qcs meltdown about it as a result

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Jose posted:

zdr hid cspam from top bunk wanker on 2016 election night and he had a qcs meltdown about it as a result

lol

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Quetzadilla posted:

drat well if you don't want to mod or are bad at being a mod maybe you shouldn't be a mod? part of the job involves figuring out who to listen to and why. constantly renaming the succ zone is bad and stupid. likewise, threadbans are almost always bad and stupid.

keep in mind that just about anyone mashing the report button or begging you to do something is the C-SPAM equivalent of the racist neighbor on nextdoor who calls the cops if they see anyone outside who passes the paper bag test. the mere fact of them summoning you means that you should be extremely skeptical of whatever the gently caress it is they want from you.

this is counter-intuitive and makes your job harder, i know. thems the breaks. it's not like it's a well-kept secret that modding loving sucks.

reported. Not that I expect THE MODS to do anything about it!

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Jose posted:

lol, hadn't heard about that that's great.

Man what a wormy little rear end in a top hat that guy was

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just escalate the probes until moral improves. I promise you the shitters will either learn or eat perma

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Jose posted:

lmao

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Making new rules to deal with poo poo that can be dealt with under the existing rules is lib 101 and has no place here (OOCC deserved it though)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
it's funny because it's 99% on goons who can't help themselves from being The Smartest Woke In the Room fishmech-style and their reptilians brain demands they constantly engage instead of just ignoring (function-wise or mentally) and moving on. instead they have to engage getting trolled time after time and become a fission bomb each time -- which is actually way more bad then just a single bad poster that you can ignore

Admiral Ray posted:

threadbans are silly. anything worth threadbanning for is worth making someone a mod for.
also this

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

bad posters need to be given an immediate sixer as soon as they post bad, it's the only way they'll learn to associate the punishment with the behavior

to this end, i propose we recruit more mods and iks, about 50 should do it

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Quetzadilla posted:

drat well if you don't want to mod or are bad at being a mod maybe you shouldn't be a mod?

Anyone who actually wants to be a mod should not be. Absolute sickos

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

threadban bad
probe libs on sight when they are being succ. or don't, who cares

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

some plague rats posted:

also extremely true. modding is a land of contradictions.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

dont threadban anyone. let the posts run free

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

some plague rats posted:

true for all kinds of power

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
what

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
eyyayy im friggin postin here

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

threadbans are bad and will just encourage the pernicious clique poo poo that already corrupts cspam moderation actions

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

some plague rats posted:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Quetzadilla posted:

keep in mind that just about anyone mashing the report button or begging you to do something is the C-SPAM equivalent of the racist neighbor on nextdoor who calls the cops if they see anyone outside who passes the paper bag test.
lol wtf

animist
Aug 28, 2018

me pressing "report" on a picture of quadruple goatse: gosh do I love redlining

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
the mods dont have the stones to ban me from this thread

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

forum cop doesnt understand what a forum snitch is in the anti-cop forum. shocking.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Anyone who openly admits to putting above a certain threshold of a thread on ignore should be threadbanned out of hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Jose posted:

lmao

id really like to hear ol tbw perspective on the last 4 years