Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
so grocery stores throw out shitload billions of tons of food every year, why don't they sell it to hog farmers? hogs can eat most anything, much of which humans cannot eat, and turn it into good quality meat. it's called slop for gently caress's sake. hell, they could just give it away to farmers in exchange for buying the pork that results at a slight premium.

is this a stupid idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
its not economically viable. hth

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why don't they keep their own hogs?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They do, they're called shoppers

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
it could be like the lobster tanks, you go out back and point out which dumpster hog you want for dinner

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

When I worked in the produce department of a supermarket our reason was that there was no way to tell whether the person was actually going to give it to their animals or if they were going to eat it themselves. If they ate it and got sick, the supermarket would be liable since they cannot sell food intended for human consumption which is not fit for eating. So you just have to tell em no and chuck it all away which I agree kind of sucks

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Aardvark! posted:

it could be like the lobster tanks, you go out back and point out which dumpster hog you want for dinner

how much to enter the hog dumpster??

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Enter the Hog

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

that comes after ;)

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Visible Stink posted:

When I worked in the produce department of a supermarket our reason was that there was no way to tell whether the person was actually going to give it to their animals or if they were going to eat it themselves. If they ate it and got sick, the supermarket would be liable since they cannot sell food intended for human consumption which is not fit for eating. So you just have to tell em no and chuck it all away which I agree kind of sucks

surely there must be a way that the store can legally cover itself from such litigation / liability. i.e. "sign this thing saying that you intend to feed this to hogs and if you yourself or any other human eats it we are not at fault"

Perhaps this would necessitate the store / company having a separate department or branch specifically for selling or giving away old food?

Aardvark! posted:

correct. all hogs are dumpster hogs

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Honestly I'm all for feeding hogs groceries because it would likely make them taste more similar to human beings.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Every citizens final duty

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
the food waste goes towards compost fertilizer to perpetuate the cycle op

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

Every citizens final duty

Indigenous Hogforms

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Because the hogs killed people

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Hogs eat the eggs

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Some grocery stores sell their spoiled produce to worm farms, OP

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
hog farm where pigs live or hog farm the male strip club chain?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The hogs killed exactly eight men and one child

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
They do this at Kroger's in Michigan. They offer up any food they have before throwing it out. Since most of the stuff needs some degree of refrigeration, the people who come to pick it up are hog farmers.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
We used to have bins that we filled with iffy poo poo and scraps that they told us went to go feed the animals, a big truck came by a couple times a week and emptied em.

What actually happened is that those bins got loving disgusting in like a day and a half, stayed disgusting forever and the only animals they fed were the rats and roaches that were already in the store and were doing just fine before the bin program

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
we did at the grocery store i worked at and it was disgusting. we filled up several massive, rolling trashcans a week with rotting produce and the hog farmers came and picked them up

i can still smell the watermelon

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

hogs are a huge waste of resources OP

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

GolfHole posted:

humans hogs are a huge waste of resources OP

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

heard some of those hogs got some mighty fine balls

big old pig balls

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

GolfHole posted:

hogs are. a huge waste of resources: OP

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

hogs hogs hogs

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The hog farmers should have saved the effort and just sent 30-50 domesticated hogs to the back of the store, to be fed and possibly butchered directly :thunk:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
hello butcher man i would like that hog. the one currently rolling around in a pile of rotting deli meat. his taste will be exquisite

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

The hogs typically walk through the front door and pay for their groceries

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I was one of the people the hogs killed.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

goddamn hogs is a funny word, like poo poo

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
what if you have to bring the hogs to the market yourself, so that way someone at the supermarket can supervise and ensure that it's just hogs eating the trash. They can even hire a community member to do this (googlge Job Creation), you can say that you are a Hog Watcher down at the Kroger and hold your head with pride. "Uh yeah I'm a Hog Looker at the Hyvee" youd say,

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hogs! hogs! hogs! hogs!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

hogs! hogs! hogs! hogs!

youre hogging all the hogs :mad:

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
well the boy just got hired on to start his career as a Hog Peaker, me and the misses frankly couldn't be more proud of him

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

i agree op, your mom is probably v hungry

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Why don't grocery stores sell new food to hog farms?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The Hottest Trend In Sustainable Living Today: Throw Out Your Backyard Chicken Coop And Get Ready For Your Basement Hog Pit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

I look through the produce with my family, trying to ignore the sounds of hog hysteria behind the building as they gobble up expired foods