Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Hi, sorry for the thread revive, I just wanted to say thank you for an excellent LP that I'm a little sad I missed while it was ongoing; I was playing the game myself and didn't want to be spoiled... and then I burnt out in Rubber Prison on that goddamn gym puzzle. But seeing Vicas and Vprisoner stream the game made me want to go back to it, and I just beat the main game tonight (though it still seems like I've got plenty to do! Going to keep out of those parts of the thread until I'm ready though). But yeah, all in all this LP is wonderfully comprehensive and a great example of an informative SSLP! Now to use it to track down all the Lore Books I've missed... :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Explopyro posted:

No need to apologise for reviving the thread! Honestly, it's a good reminder; I've been pretty overwhelmed these last few months and just haven't had the energy to work on this, but I'd had plans for another two updates or so (not to mention doing a bit of cleanup for archival) that I never quite got to and I should get back in the saddle.

(Also, I should just say, it's great seeing you here and I'm glad you've been enjoying this. I've really appreciated your Advance Wars LPs over the years, even if you probably wouldn't know since I wasn't actively commenting at the time.)
Thank you! And no worries, let's face it I know more than most the difficulties of getting back on the SSLP wagon once one loses momentum :v:

It's hard to know what to say other than just general gushing about the game. Elizant II's character arc in particular is remarkable in the way it plays with the player's expectations about potential betrayal, before serving up a complex, well-intentioned but insecure character. The lore and setting ties everything together brilliantly, from "... the desert's a sandpit, of course it is" to "wait, wasps don't have kings - oh. ohhhh", while still leaving plenty of questions unanswered (just what exactly did happen to the Giants? And, uh, are there any of us left? We may never know). And of course, Vi, Kabbu and Lief all bounce off each other and the people they meet along their journey brilliantly.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

So I beat all the superbosses as well (it's a weird feeling that I've beaten Team Maki, Team Slacker and TANGYBUG but will probably never "see all there is to see!" because I'm terrible at Flower Journey and Mite Knight...) and I started a second playthrough with Hard Mode turned on but also the RUIGEE and MYSTERY? codes turned on as well. I just thought I'd give a trip report on how this is playing out so far for me (have reached Defiant Root but I've yet to travel up to the Hive).

There's obviously the headline-grabbing part of Luigi's Challenge, only getting 1MP per level but every medal costing 1MP, but in some ways the most impactful thing so far has been the way you level up by paying Eetl. First of all, the fact that money and experience are now the same "currency" and the way that levelling up is a voluntary experience brings to mind the Dark Souls system for levelling, which is definitely a big twist on the game's standard formula. You might be choosing to spend money on levels or other things like the Heart and Bond berries or gambling (what with MYSTERY? being turned on!) that Merab might be selling a cool medal. I'm also pretty sure enemies are dropping more berries to make up for the fact that they no longer give XP - for instance, even now Golden Path encounters often drop multiple red berries or even the occasional orange berry worth 20 berries.

The second big thing is that if you think it's a bit too easy to earn money in this game, what with the bank's very generous interest rate and so on, then boy howdy is this the mode for you - at ten extra berries per rank, those administration costs for levelling add up quickly. Sure it's 30 berries to get from rank 1 to 2, but that quickly becomes 100 berries to go from rank 9 to 10, and eventually 280 berries to get from rank 26 to 27. Across the entire game, you'll be spending 4030 berries if you want to get to max rank. The pre v1.1 bank could easily have kept up with that of couse (exponential vs. arithmetic progression, and all that), but the way interest now caps out at 75 berries per half hour makes it a much more even race. One shudders to think what these numbers would get like with MOREFARM turned on as well...

As you might imagine, the lack of the free full heals from level ups also make things trickier. Temporary points of no return also give a lot more trepidation - the main reason I'm currently hesitating on starting the Honey Factory because I know I won't be able to get a level up from Eetl until after beating B-33, so I kind of want to get "ahead of the curve" a bit right now, so to speak.

As for MYSTERY?, well naturally my experience is going to be different from everyone else's! The seed definitely wants me to go down a Poison Build route though - Weak Stomach was the very first medal I picked up, Todd gave me Poison Attacker for finding his ball, and I picked up Reverse Toxin and Poison Defender on my journey through the desert. A couple of other notable finds include getting Strong Start as only my third medal (now that's what I call a str-:commissar:), and TP Saver(!) for delivering a Queen's Dinner to Venus (how's that for a divine reward?).

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 25, 2023

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Great to see you back! And cool to see some of the game's evolution through its demo versions. Seems like they put a lot of effort into making the demo its own thing, too, which is always nice to see.