Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
This LP and a steam sale reminded me to buy and play this game. It's pretty fun, though the quirks of the system take a little attitude changing (another case of LPs helping the hump of game start).

Did come across a button mashing prompt that felt insanely hard, even as a non-young but still experienced game. (Went and changed it to sequential presses in the options a little better).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Playing to catch up with the LP I did find a neat way of getting the food/Venus quest done around this time without huge RNG. The wave 10 award of the Cave Trials is a Tangy Berry. Just, don't accidentally use it or something.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
To start and in short : Feelings a little unprepared is normal. Blowing through your consumables feels like kind of expected play. Just keep going and see how it goes, IMO.

But, here's some rambling about systems and options.

I've ended up mostly going for the 'stack all the attack on Vi and then use her multihit attacks' especially if you can use the weirdness of Defense Down and the +1 damage vs defense from Hurricane Toss.

But there's a lot of ways of approaching stuff. Spicy fries + weak stomach +poison attack is definitely a solid combo if you need to buff someone's attack for a specific fight. When exploring around, Frigid Coffin and then not breaking them out can easily save you more HP than the 3 TP would heal.

Heavy Sleeper and a drowsy cake also makes for a surprisingly good tank on Kabbu if you've got some HP Plus on him. But obviously he can't taunt while asleep (but can taunt then be put asleep).

Also, don't look down on the basic Honey + Leaf for 5HP and 5 TP. Or Glazed Honey for 8 TP. A sleep bomb is useful for Mothiva/Zasp but far from required.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I think I found the cave just before the end of this chapter or at the start of the next. The reward though has really saved my bacon against a number of tough fights. When I played though, didn't get any weird cooked item drops. I forget if I was high enough level that bug me not wiped the brutes on the map though (probably).

The little ice puzzle has a fun alternate solution. Frozen monsters are pretty big ice blocks and the shield lets you bait them into position pretty safely, so you can use a droplet to get up and then hop straight over on the head of a frozen chomper.

Surprised that Heal Plus works on Vi's healing skills. Will have to consider it. For some reason I misread it as the wearer being healed more by items.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Explopyro posted:

If I had one complaint to make about this game, I think it would be that a lot of the effective strategies it pushes you towards make the battles too short (and when you steamroll the enemies with huge damage, all the fights feel the same since you miss out seeing the behaviours that make them unique). I'm deliberately trying to strike a balance for the LP between playing well and still letting the bosses do their thing, though I'm not sure how well that's actually working.

I can confirm, after finding out how Vi reacts so weirdly with attack up, it's hard to mentally pivot to trying another strategy.

Mechanically, it's not hard to pivot, just. Bee goes brrr.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
There's a fair few spots where it can just be hard to remember there's a fallen branch you can dig under or similar. Especially as some games would have the structure just be a cute wall.

Admittedly I also missed the bottom left exit to the desert town that leads to the caravan shop for I think an entire chapter. Which also leads to a nice looping shortcut. Sometimes your brain just blanks stuff.

I do wish something told the player about how the action cost of the team attacks work. And/or how Bubble Shield uses 2(?) of Leif's actions.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The thing I hate the most (it is more common in action games though) is the really hard boss fight. That you have to win (or survive a long time or whatever). And then the boss cutscene wipes the floor with you. So story-wise, it'd have been exactly the same if you'd just lost in the mechanical fight.

The Wasp King here though, is a pretty good example of doing it well, I agree. Especially as... I don't think Poison damage will KO you? Otherwise you might be able to lose with the random buff medal, being on 1 hp, and bad rng.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Meanwhile I never remembered it was Maki saying not to bother the guy, so I only ended up fighting him by approaching from the other direction.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The boss fight video showed as Private for me, but otherwise great updates Explopyro. Nice to see all the boss's stuff getting shown off.

I can't remember how I fought it, but it was probably stacking attack on Vi and Hurricane Toss because I fell into that rut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I liked playing through the Rubber Prison. But it's very much more of the same and/or a chance to flex your rewards from side-quests. I think you did a good job of showing it off so far though, Explopyro!