Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Bug fables is really good. Although I find it interesting that hard is apparently the intended difficulty. Some of this early stuff is grueling even if you can snap the game over your knee once you get the right tools going.

Definitely looking forward to following this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

mp only
Medals are both the strongest and most interesting option. This game does one up paper mario in that hp/tp plus medals aren't 1:1 transfers with the associated level up, so there's that.

If I had one thing to say i didn't like about this game it's that for how hard it's inspired by paper mario it rushes straightforward into all the same balance issues paper mario had. There's another big one we won't see until you get a decent few medals.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Explopyro posted:

Yeah, this is fair. I do think Bug Fables handled balance a little better than Paper Mario, but there are still issues, and after a while the question can become not "do I break things" but "which flavour of breaking things shall I do today"; in fairness, that's often still quite fun. (I admit I'm not completely sure what specific issue you're thinking of, though!)

This is awesome. I am honoured to be the recipient of your excellent spritework :)

I guess its safe to spoiler tag since you hinted at it in the update proper.

multi hit attacks scale so disproportionately well with damage boosts that they obsolete everything else

E: though I will give the game that it does give you the aforementioned variety of ways to do so and the fixed party means I dont feel like I'm giving up a party member because of it.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 11, 2021

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

So I've played to the end of chapter 3 on hard and have at least some opinions on the stats.

This game and Paper Mario are structured around healing to full on level up. You have three resources to spend to keep you going between level ups, your HP, your TP and then your Berries, or currency. Currency is spent through the use of healing items.

Currency is the last thing you ideally want to use because it can be used for other upgrades and things in the game whereas you can't make your HP or TP do anything of the sort. Additionally, the maximum value of these is only valuable in their ability to get you to the next level up. That is to say, once you're at 0 TP a healing item is going to heal the same amount of TP regardless of your max.

So for the HP to TP calculus, this creates a simple question. Will spending 3 TP prevent more than 3 damage incoming to me?

For reasons that become apparent later, the answer is yes nearly 100% of the time. Which means that you'll almost always gain more EHP by taking TP over HP.

So then we get the MP part of the calculus, where we compare MP to TP.

This is where things get a little messy. MP will usually improve your damage more than your TP will across time, but it relies on your TP to function a lot of the time. So taking a little bit of TP to get your good MP combos going. Especially early on, if you go hard MP you'll get to a situation where there just aren't enough badges to equip unless you grind cash. On top of that, you won't have the FP to sustain yourself through a full level.

I agree on most points, but money very quickly becomes a non issue forever depending on how you play.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Dang that bank nerf is huge. I guess they dont want you walking around with 999 berries at all times. Leaving the game on while I was at work was too strong, i guess.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Black Robe posted:

Midges are utter bastards.

:hmmyes:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Also, as mentioned the hills are our next dungeon so it's a good way to test if the people bringing the offerings can make it through. Remember there was commentary indicating that actually going and delivering the offering doesn't happen too often.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I do like how the game just hands you and end game super boss about halfway through chapter two and lets you tackle it whenever. It's a world of difference better than most games where you can't fight/beat them until it doesn't matter.

It could probably be signposted a little better that imminent death lies in the clearing and maybe have the save point a little closer to the entrance so someone doesn't cross the invisible line of doom walking to it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Ah, break. The beginning of Leif's spell kit getting very, very good.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

My thought was that you lost another action relative to using an item and that I was richer than God because I let the bank idle while I was at work.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I'd say knock it out now and then have a bonus episode towards the end where you let loose with all the cards. Especially if stuff from the endgame dungeon gets its own card that most people wouldn't see. I can't remember if there's a point of no return there or not.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It gives +2 hp right? Give it to vi. 11hp is a really useful total to have.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Whoa is technically correct, but either is acceptable in common usage.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

We need that ubeelievable power!

Oh, and poison attacker #2, I guess.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

On that note, one thing they just straight copied from paperario was BP being in the level up choices, which makes it the optimal pick every time. If it was a static rise every level(s) and you got to choose between hp and tp then it would have been an actual choice.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

My big objection is less mechanical balance and more that medals are so much more interesting than hp or to. There's just such more to play with there that they shouldn't have been put against each other. If the balance skewed the other way the player would be disappointed that there were all these neat looking medals but they were better off picking hp.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Next time: we finish up resident weevil

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It's just called card collecting you weirdos

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I vote Vi for the berry by random roll.

And I guess go ahead and grab the last poison attacker and finish that set.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Fun fact, you can actually gi bash your way into the fishing villiage much sooner than this. The only thing stopping you is making and it's pretty easy to double back after he gets injured

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Explopyro posted:

I did know this, but in fairness I don't think it's that much earlier? Once Maki gets injured you're locked into finishing most of the Swamplands dungeon; I guess once you get through there, you can use the bounce shrooms to get back up the broken bridge and double back to Riz and the village before beating the Beast? That's definitely earlier, but you still have to have completed most of Chapter 5 first.

Yeah, it isn't that much earlier, it breaks up the narrative flow, and there's no real reason to, but by golly we're not going to ignore a bug in need that just wants us to leave them alone and not pilfer them for resources.:patriot:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Huh, so there are other plant gods and they have a Roman god/planets theme. I kind of wonder where the other two are at given that Venus seems to only really have a following with her immediate locals

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Flappy bird is waaay older than flappy bird. I remember versions of it with a helicopter in flash and with a ribbon on some of the earliest cell phones.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Quackles posted:

I had a TI-83 Plus as a kid, too. I had the USB link cable and downloaded games from ticalc.org.

Anyway, I understand that while there is a community, there's a lot less of one. It doesn't help that TI has progressively locked down later models of their calculators to render them suitable to use for taking tests with (even going so far as to disable the running of assembly-language programs on the TI-83 Premium). Unsurprisingly, the community has found jailbreaks, but things are still generally more quiet than it was when I was a kid.

The important thing is whether or not puzzle pack still exists. Gotta play some block dude when you get tired of tetris.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Eh, it's a fun dungeon to fight through and has kind of a neat look. It doesn't need justified any more than that. The big thing that makes it feel like a flaw here is that there's only so many ways to say that in text and it doesn't really have many gimmicks to it to highlight in the lp. It's still very fun to play through and I'm glad it's in the game even if it's not advancing the story.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

My personal dumb theory is that nothing awful happened to the humans at all. The bugs just live near one of those run down old shacks with a yard covered in trash and the people don't go outside much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

iron seed should go to an ironhearted individual

so naturally, give them both to Vi

this is a joke, you know who I'm voting for really

Yeah, another vote for Leif