Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh hey, this game's pretty good. Played through on 1.05 though and finished up the 1.1 content when that patch dropped. Definitely worth showcasing.

Explopyro posted:

The devs have stated they are intended to be a romantic couple, which suggests they might not quite realise how toxic a relationship they ended up writing.

Wait what. I'll comment more on that later when it actually pops up. I did not know this until you stated it, but wow that relationship did not come across as romantic at all.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I'd say it's more akin to Superguarding in TTYD. In TTYD, the game runs at 60 FPS, and the Guard timing is 8 frames before damage is taken, and the last 3 frames of that is when you can pull off a Superguard.

Wasn't expecting the timing for blocking in Bug Fables to be that generous though I knew that Super blocking was about as tight as Superguarding.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah I would not recommend JPG. The color schemes in this game are flat and cartoony enough that any artifacting would be noticeable.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

This early? Oh god this is gonna be bloody.

Also huh, I could have sworn that fortune teller was under the same restrictions as the Paper Mario ones and doesn’t tell you about loot you can’t reach.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I think the Devourer ate a slight defensive nerf in a patch but yeah it was by far the bounty boss I had the most trouble with. The others weren’t nearly as harrowing in comparison for me.

I was doing a hard mode + hard hits run for Bug Fables, and Devourer was a real roadblock. I ended up fighting it much later, and while I figured out how to deal with the other bounty bosses, taking down Devourer felt kind of hollow because the strategy I used was luck based. In that I was hoping Lief wouldn’t get eaten or the fight was pretty much unwinnable at the point I chose to tackle the boss at. (The fact that he can burst down the plants and Devourer and making use of one of his later skills was the core of my strategy. So if he got chomped yeah that was an automatic reset.)

The head slam definitely feels like it needed to have been tweaked more. You barely have much counterplay to it other than skipping the mechanic entirely. And it’s such a huge wrench in the battle on top of all the other moving parts the battle has that adapting to it on the fly is kind of really not feasible because of the sheer disadvantage that a) being left with 2 party members is and b) you have no control over who gets chomped. If the flytrap mechanic wasn’t in, adapting to the situation from having a random party member be eaten would be more feasible, but as it stands all the moving parts together is kind of a bit much.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Explopyro posted:

I know exactly the skill you're thinking of. Amusingly, the wiki recommends a strategy using that skill that kills it in two turns. I might show this off or something similar later, though I didn't want to here because it requires things from Chapter 5. (Spoilers at link for upcoming medals, skills, and items.)

Oh uh, funnily enough that wasn't actually the skill I was talking about. It was both of his shielding skills. The fight was a bit more attrition based for me and I had to use those to tone down the damage output while redirecting attacks to Kabbu so I'd be in a better position for the fight once the head slam mechanic happened. And after flytraps spawned there Leif was the only one capable of bursting down the plants and Devourer so if he got chomped yeah it was game over. Ideally my strategy had Kabbu be the one chomped as my setup had Vi and Leif as my DPSers, but unfortunately that's not guaranteed, and even Taunt can't change that. Vi being eaten was a setback, but one I could live with. But Leif was a no no, he was too core to my strategy.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Interesting thing to note is that this boss has a slightly higher amount of HP in normal mode, 62, but has 0 defense. Unlike the old version of PM Master Quest, this game definitely knows how important any bit of changes to the defense stats are and how that can change your damage options.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Slaan posted:

Kabbu, what do you know about the doll Ranger that we don't? :tinfoil:

HP to Leif
Get cheapskate charm

I think that just might be a "it's an action figure" quip.

Quackles posted:

Ah, Overcharmed. Another Hollow Knight reference!

(You can wear more Charms in Hollow Knight than your listed capacity through a certain method, at the cost of taking double damage while you do.)

Incidentally, the charm system in Hollow Knight was inspired by Paper Mario's badges.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

senrath posted:

Is it just me or does it seem like the game is blaming Vi 100% for what went down with her leaving, rather than admitting that if someone has been teased to the point of snapping and running off then maybe the other person bears some fault as well?

It's more that she didn't paint a great picture of the hive itself beforehand, but that turned out to be untrue. So it's her overblowing what happened when the conflict was really with a few individuals.

It's basically kind of flipping "this entire faction sucked/is evil so that's why I left" plot device to a more innocuous reason.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

serefin99 posted:

Here's a question: how do the various invincibility things (bubble shield, shock trooper, anything else we might not have seen yet) interact with the Devourer's "eat a party member" attack?

It doesn't. You have no way to protect against that attack at all.

Bubble Shield and Bubble Shield Lite was still invaluable to getting my win cause it was still good at protecting against every single one of its other attacks because there's so much going on in that fight. If Leif got chomped, that was the end of that run cause then my other party members would have no defense against all the other poo poo that goes on in that battle. Spoilered the strat before, but now that the skills have been shown off, I used Bubble Shield while Kabbu Taunted to mitigate most of the damage coming towards the party. Sometimes I used the big bubble shield if I really couldn't afford the party to take much damage. Then once Kabbu (or in worse cases, Vi) got eaten, it was mostly just bursting down the plants with Leif if Vi got eaten, or wailing on Devourer as much as possible with Vi if Kabbu got eaten.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 24, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

B.O.S.S. actually has one other function. If you’re playing on normal mode, getting kills at the rematches with the hard mode medal on will allow you to get the hard mode boss kill achievements for the bosses you fought on normal mode, so those aren’t permanently missable.

However this doesn’t let you get the hard mode medal rewards for free from Artis. He only gives them out for the actual hard mode boss fight kills, so you’ll have to pay for those medals if you played on normal.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I feel like he's less confusing than when I first played this game. Now that I know his relationship with Mothiva is supposed to be romantic (I didn't read it that way)

Same. I just read their relationship as 2 goofball friends instead of that. The romantic reading was absolutely not how those 2 came off to me.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Part of that was due to a smaller budget and scope. The Bug Fables dev team is really small, like a single digit amount of staff? Also the artist said the uneven line art for the characters was the result of faulty drawing tools.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The arbitrary self heal from triggering the item ban was what annoyed me the most about that fight, yeah. Not only did you waste an item, you also wasted a disable.

That ended up causing a reset in that run because I had no idea that would even happen and my party wasn’t in the best of shape when I found out how enforced the item ban was.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Buyout.

I think the availability of the Megaelixir depends on the game. In a lot of games with a limited amount of Megaelixirs, it'll never be truly mandatory to use, otherwise that would make a save file unwinnable.

But some games will push the player a lot harder, and using one or several will basically be expected to deal with some of the hardcore stuff it throws at you. Etrian Odyssey is an RPG series that can be pretty brutal for RPG standards that always makes all consumable items available for purchase. Also there's a bunch of skills throughout the series that party members have that can replicate the effect, so limiting the amount of items that have that effect would be an annoyance that doesn't add much. Generally its philosophy with limited items is handing out very limited powerful items early on that you can't get more of at that point, but once you reach late or postgame, you can get as many as you need. (Because you will need them.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Arzaac posted:

The big thing that gets me about the Berry Smoothie in particular is that there's no real mid-tier TP healing item; a couple heal 12 TP, Queens Dinner heals 15, and the smoothie for 99. I ended up using a ton of Smoothies, if only because by endgame the doughnut just wasn't cutting it and there's literally no other option.

I really would've liked something that healed 20-25 TP, as an option at least.

If anything yeah that was a rather kind of gaping hole in the design space of Bug Fables. Like TP doesn't have to be expanded all that much for much of the game, but if you go with big TP builds, you have no midgame equivalent and are forced to use Berry Smoothies because a Crisbee Donut and Queens Dinner are classified as big TP heals even though you get them early and they don't heal that much if you are using a TP focused build.

In that case I would say buyable Dark Cherries are absolutely justified, namely because there isn't something to accommodate that kind of build in this game, which seems pretty odd.

While Paper Mario only has the Syrup items as basic items for 5, 10, and 50 FP restores. There are a lot of inbetween FP restoratives you can get with cooking.

I will say I kind of get the sense some design decisions focused a little too much on MP focused builds since your stats aren't going to be too high in such builds. Like I get that's one of the best ways to play the oldschool Paper Marios, but even then it the thing Arzaac mentioned kind of really brought it to light for me.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 7, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay yeah this was the first time I heard of that status effect and was confused cause I beat the game before that update came out.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was just an oversight.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Fun fact, the Abombination actually got nerfed in an update. There was a very easy cheese strat you could use (though it was kind of costly and time consuming to set up.) with it.

Originally the Abombination did not break bubble shields. This meant that you could just use Bubble Shield and then an Abombination repeatedly for 10 guaranteed damage each turn. And the 3rd bug could just relay the turn to Lief to keep the feedback loop up, since the Abombination also restores 40% of your TP on use, so you could keep up this strategy as long as you had Abombinations left.

Needless to say this got nerfed into breaking shields on use so you couldn't do an easy safe loop like that. Another nerf that happened was that the TP restore no longer takes place unless it actually damages you, so you can't keep up the loop as easily.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Pretty much the most reliable signpost is having it happen at the beginning of the game or close to it. Not many resources to waste and seeing that HP bar barely budge is basically "oh." And generally not enough room to really think "is there any other possible solutions that can work?"

Or basically nearly dropping the pretense and just killing you off the bat or show that you're literally dealing no damage if that kind of boss battle is deployed later in the game. Ocean Palace Lavos from Chrono Trigger comes to mind there, as that version of Lavos has inflated stats since the party's near the end of the game at that point, and can probably kill normal Lavos otherwise with enough preparations, so the inflated stats version is deployed to shock the player and move the story forward. Granted Lavos is the built up final boss all game so unexpectedly running into it earlier than the player intended is also probably another effective signpost there that the battle isn't meant to be won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I think a big issue with HP level ups is how incremental it's framed. Yes it's +3 HP total, same as the TP and MP increases, but it comes out to +1 HP per party member. I get what they were going for, but it comes out to needing like several HP up levels to be effective since there's a lot of single target attacks in the game, and +1 HP generally doesn't make or break the amount of attacks to kill a party member all too often.