Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I think it is easy for some players to mentally make a small adjustment or ignore one line, or even ignore very big weirdness, it just depends how much it grates on you vs how much it amuses you or is easily ignoreable. I had honestly forgotten about BOTW telling you things are urgent because obviously that doesn't come up for the next 30 hours of gameplay.

Obviously as games get more realistically styled or themed any kind of gameplay/narrative dissonance gets much, much worse. No-one wants to play a shooter game in which you die in one bullet, but people have to die in one bullet in cutscenes. My favourite example which I find hilarious is in Mass Effect 3, Shepard shoots Kaiden in a cutscene. Shepard has a low power pistol you can use in gameplay. Kaiden is wearing combat armor, which means he also has barriers. In gameplay, even on high diffculty, the barrier could catch 12+ bullets and his armor could catch another 12+ bullets. He gets shot once in the stomach and dies immediatly, and there is nothing sci-fi medicine could have done. Grunt, an alien who has multiple redundant organs, a huge amount of health in gameplay, combat armor, and a rage mode that is described as a neurological feedback loop that makes him nigh impervious to bullets... also can get shot once in the stomach and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

That's actually really interesting and I never knew that was a feature, I'd definitely give random mode a go for a second playthrough.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I've been playing this game again after I found out about the randomizer mode, and just finished again today. I also went with the personal restriction of no crystal berry shop so I'd do something different. I relied a lot on a combination of berserker + first plating + strong start + antlion jaws on Vi for random battles, and berserker and power exchange on Vi combined with hard charge on Lief for huge Frost Relay damage to late bosses. I don't think I found berserker at all the first time I played, but it was great fun to use it on randomizer. One of the surprise early game stars for me was a pickup of boulder toss for Kabbu - does 5 damage to the main target and 2 splash damage, which is pretty good for a no setup time early damage skill. I had great fun with the randomizer mode, so cheers to this thread for telling me it exists! I'd definitely recommend it to anyone playing this game after the first time.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I think you're right that Rubber Prison doesn't really advance the plot and could probably be skipped to lead straight in to the next area. I didn't really think about it when I was playing, but you're right that with the slower LP pace it does stick out a little, which is amplified if you've been doing a bunch of side quests before since you have access to termite kingdom and the sub.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

This game is great though I never tried any post game stuff, I felt I had a complete experience from the main game. Thank you for showing it off!