Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Explopyro posted:

This is a Madesphy, and it's a lot more dangerous than it looks (though we're unlikely to see that until later battles with them).

Incidentally, these are based on a real insect, but I cannot for the life of me find the name despite having seen it before ("madesphy" is a deliberate misspelling of the scientific name, and is used only in this game); please do tell me if you know it. The Bug Fables artbook only says "the real one is even uglier".

I just finished binging the LP so far, and tried to give this a shot.

This strongly resembles one of the tussock moth family of caterpillars, but I can't identify a specific one from a misspelling of the name. Amphion floridensis is a species with a caterpillar that's known to be able to "shriek" when attacked, but there's not a strong resemblance of name or appearance. This is going to bother me.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Explopyro posted:

Thank you so much for trying. This just keeps getting more frustrating. I'm fairly certain I saw the name once, but I've never been able to find it again (and honestly, I wouldn't rule out that I'm misremembering how similar they were).

Both of those definitely sound like plausible inspirations, and I've seen a few offhand mentions elsewhere of them being some kind of moth caterpillar, so I think you're on the right track at any rate.

Even if we can't solve this, I'm glad to have you along, I hope you're enjoying the LP.

Upon further review, at least some enemies, such as the Inichas, are named using misspellings of synonymous taxa (meaning outdated ones which are no longer in use). With this in mind I may have more success.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

You made the right decision to discuss Fight Knight.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Small typo in the first post of the update:

quote:

We don't want to think about hwat one must do to earn such a cell.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

A small typo, you've got a

quote:

(ha ha301 good one)
in your second post. At a guess, the dead landers may be minibosses to exempt them from Bug Me Not.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Really incredible how well balanced the game is, from tip to tail.

(btw the first leafbug fight video link is borked)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Zero worries explopyro, this thread should be bottom priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Thanks so much for all your hard work on this LP! I think the improved characterization makes the tradeoff of the play change worth it.