Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I vote for Hybrid, but that's just because I love HP too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Btw, I forgot to post this earlier, but - I'll just assume 'Vi' is short for 'Violet', which is pronounced 'Beeolet'.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Explopyro posted:

This is a convenient time to talk about blocking mechanics in a bit more detail. According to the wiki, the window for blocking (at 60 FPS) is 19 frames, and the last 4 frames of that count as a Super Block (which is pretty tight timing!). There is a 36-frame cooldown between block inputs, so you can't just mash the button either.

OK, this is interesting. In the original Paper Mario 64, the block window was 3 frames at 30 FPS (that'd be 6 frames at 60) - which is about what the Super Block window is here! If you equipped the Dodge Master badge, the window would expand to 8 frames at 30 FPS (16 at 60 FPS), which is about what the game's block window is by default...

Also, Paper Mario had an anti-mashing cooldown of 15 frames at 30 FPS (30 at 60), too. It's interesting to compare the numbers.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I can appreciate 'Unbeelievable'. :allears:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I like what you've done so far! Good luck with the rest of the LP!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Black Robe posted:

Two trolls and a straight man shouldn't really work, but it does.

Ah, but which are which? :haw:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm glad we've finally met the best character, Tanjerin.

Ha, I get the feeling we'll be seeing a lot more of him at some point.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ooh, will there be a Glitz Pit?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I mean, for all you know, we'll face off with a Kamen Spider later in the game. :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh bug-ger.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Fun fact: There are a few pitcher plants that have other strategies than just eating insects. Nepenthes hemsleyana is a pitcher plant that's evolved an elongated tube with a lip in it. A bat called "Hardwicke's woolly bat" roosts in the plant, which gets nitrogen from the bat guano.

Small bonus note about Paper Mario: Master Quest, since Explopyro mentioned it.

• Work on version 2.0 is still going on. I'll probably post a Chapter 2 update post one of these days.
• I'm working on making the AIs for all enemies completely deterministic in the new version of the game. Most are simple; some, not so much.
• As for the 'save or get beaten up' thing... there's not much I can necessarily do, but I've got some good balance testers now. I'm going to do my best to listen to them.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Fanart time! This was created by Moriri, who won an art contest in the Bug Fables Discord.

I honestly think it's amazing :allears:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Explopyro posted:

(finally, a spell for him that doesn't involve ice!).

Ah, but it's a nice spell :allears:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Aw man, they put in a whole minigame? That is the BEST idea.

I kinda wanna play Bug Fables some time. when I'm done making PMMQ

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ah, Overcharmed. Another Hollow Knight reference!

(You can wear more Charms in Hollow Knight than your listed capacity through a certain method, at the cost of taking double damage while you do.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Explopyro posted:

I'm honestly surprised you didn't react to the Hustle Berry, I thought if anything in this post was going to get your attention it would have been that ;)

I did actually have some thoughts about the Hustle Berry, too - arguably the reason that this game can just offer it freely early (ish) on is that the game is already balanced around you having multiple turns through the exhaustion mechanic (so it's basically a free Turn Relay).

In Paper Mario: Master Quest, two Mario turns... like, Mario basically has the power of two out of three Bug Fables characters in battle, with the partner being the third. So imagine getting two Bug Fables character turns twice, without exhaustion. Yeah. We have Hustle Drink as an endgame item, and it's still going to be good despite various nerfs to cancel certain strategies (most notably, having Repel Gel remove the Hustle effect).

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

"Oh. My. Self!" made me snort.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This made me snort.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Slaan posted:

It would be called B-33 wouldn't it

Isn't it UN-B-33-LIEVABLE? :allears:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I absolutely vote for Luckier Day. :allears:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm always down for some Yu-Bee-Oh. :allears:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I vote for saving the tournament for later, but go for Metal Island now.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Given what some of the stolen goods are, looks like Team Snakemouth is 'horning in' on the bandits' business. :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I vote to clean out Shades' stock.

Oh my god. I never spied these guys as Kabbu and I had no idea he was a Kamen Rider Double fan. :allears:

Wait, since this is Bug Fables...

wouldn't it be Kamen Spider? :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Junpei posted:

Immature giggling about the Watcher's Max HP number

Nice  UNBEELIEVABLE!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Luckier day, of course!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Poor Leif.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Man, Miracle Shakes are really cool. It's always nice seeing the bonus bosses taken down, as well.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This is getting interesting.

...would you say that puzzle room has been bugging you? :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I vote for pepper on Vi.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

There's probably a 'deflection' joke in here, but I've no clue what it is.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

quote:

:viduck:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

When I saw Mothiva, I admit I was thinking, “we’re going to cause an international incident, aren’t we”. :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Explopyro posted:

God, TI-83 games take me back, my friends and I thought those were so cool in middle school. We made some simple ones ourselves, and then there were others people downloaded and distributed (the things had link cables, so of course people would trade games), I remember having Breakout, some Space Invaders variants and even a Mega Man clone at one point (though it was a very barebones adaptation).

I wonder if that's still a thing kids do, or if the ubiquity of smartphones has made them obsolete now.

I had a TI-83 Plus as a kid, too. I had the USB link cable and downloaded games from ticalc.org.

Anyway, I understand that while there is a community, there's a lot less of one. It doesn't help that TI has progressively locked down later models of their calculators to render them suitable to use for taking tests with (even going so far as to disable the running of assembly-language programs on the TI-83 Premium). Unsurprisingly, the community has found jailbreaks, but things are still generally more quiet than it was when I was a kid.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

welp, here we go.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Dead Lands are cool. In an 'oh poo poo' kind of way.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:golfclap: Congrats on beating the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Having seen all this, I'd say— Bug Fables is a pretty cool game!

(I've been thinking of adding a second challenge mode to Master Quest. Maybe one where you always are refilled to max HP/FP/etc after each battle, but...

...well, haven't got the drawback figured out yet. Or the special parameters. But maybe someday.)