Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I love this game and understand the "easy to edit" qualifier, at least for the first few games since 100%ing the early ones can be done with minimal backtracking.

One of the other "nice" things about this game is the random enemies who react to hurting you Axe Maces and Jammingers, you purple fuckers who I will always call out for being the Bladers for a new generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Protip: you aren't cursing enough.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

"As you can see..." *can't see half the time due to frame rate limitations*

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 4, 2021

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fionordequester posted:

Fun fact—it also stops in place and drops little mini-spiders, if you jump before it lands.

These are some very strange ideas of fun.

I love the fully charged X-buster, for one very significant reason. That half circle that shoots out behind X? That's an active hitbox. Things like oh, I don't know, those purple assholes that laugh at you when they swoop in and hit you get a nasty surprise when they try to sneak in behind.

I like to think Dr. Light made an insanely overpowered weapon, one that would send X's tiny baby body 30 feet backwards with recoil and instead of scaling it down just shunted some of the blast backwards to offset the recoil.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fionordequester posted:

So it's just like X4, it sounds like :cheeky: ?

4 was when the veneer of what a maverick is started to peel off. At least them explicitly refusing to disarm and come in for questioning sort of is an explanation.

5 and especially 6 go full into the "you have something I want and its quicker and less paperwork for me to have it if you're a maverick."

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Switch ports and probably the other current collections have them.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I still argue that the X1 helmet is the best of the original trilogy. At least it serves as a plot coupon beyond just unlocking 100% bonuses and I still think it protects against the rock slides in sting chameleon stage.

X2's dumb helmet is such an afterthought I once got to fortress stage 3 before realizing that I forgot it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

welcome to the DKC3 of the Mega Man X series...

This is not a compliment.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

no, it's where the DKC series goes from "okay yeah we have a lot of collecting junk" to "this is a collectathon (derogatory)"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Not really, most of it was just "get this to get 103% or whatever" but there was arbitrary bullshit where you needed to collect a thing to get to a plot required stage or speed run a stage to progress.

So yeah, I guess maybe comparing X3 to that is a bit harsh, maybe convergent evolution of games thinking "what we did was good, so doing more of it would make it better"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

BBcode for the link is borked.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Zero had so many limitations for how bad he is. The very best you can use him for is half a stage.

I guess at least he does serve a purpose in getting some extra distance if you fluff a jump though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Also is it just me and being susceptible to "this is new and therefore bad" brain worms or does the PSX versions worse in almost every way? While I don't care for the original X3 buttrock maverick intro music on the SNES, the PSX version's maverick intro being some strange sped up Mega Man 2 onward enemy intro music sucks, and the stage music seems strangely muted.