Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

rare Magic card l00k posted:

It's really loving horrifying to hear that happened to you, and I'm glad there was a period of time where you felt a little better about talking to people about it.

We might get back there eventually, maybe?

Hopefully. It's hard to have this conversation with out acknowledging how much sweeping the whole thing under the rug - whether you believe it not - was hurtful to a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CYBEReris posted:

The frightening thing about rape culture is that this is the moral calculus that it relies on to stay alive. There's always "more important things", always something more "serious" to prioritize. And when rape culture is at its most powerful, it is always its victims that are thrown under the bus first.

All of the calculus is ugly. It's a powerful politician, so everyone has an agenda on the line.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Sodomy Hussein posted:

All of the calculus is ugly. It's a powerful politician, so everyone has an agenda on the line.

Could you elaborate?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It's pretty relevant that Tara Reade was turned down by an organization for help with the case, purely because Biden was running for higher office. I read this article when it came out and I was particularly furious.

I pretty much felt pretty solidly that anyone who saw this at the time had a responsibility to stop supporting Biden in any way since apparently his possible victim wasn't allowed to seek any real redress.

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/24/joe-biden-metoo-times-up/

quote:

“As a nonprofit 501(c)(3) charitable organization, the National Women’s Law Center is restricted in how it can spend its funds, including restrictions that pertain to candidates running for election,” Patrick responded, when asked why the organizing declined to provide funds to Reade.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CYBEReris posted:

Could you elaborate?

Ordinarily an elected politician you voted for (or would vote for) is your guy/gal and people are likely to confuse personal character with politics, which is always a serious mistake to begin with. When a presidential election could hinge on a sexual assault accusation, it's difficult not to see in every statement an ulterior motive. When the presidential election may be "some hope of survival" vs. "probably the end of the republic as we know it," people are going to be less willing to entertain an accusation unless it's absolutely indisputable, and even then many will hold out because politics is a team sport. It muddies the water on everything and the status quo indeed survives on these "what is the greater evil?" considerations.

In 2016 the GOP collectively held its nose to vote for Trump and we watched people construct elaborate fantasies for why even if he was that bad it didn't matter. Similar things happened for Bill Clinton. This is for politicians where their history of misconduct is far more verifiable and repeated.

So at this time with one serious allegation and a lot of people saying that Joe Biden is too handsy (which is serious, but less serious than assault), it's not going to generate much movement. But if X more women show up and say Joe assaulted them, you will still have people who keep riding the ship, because the alternative is letting the other guy, who they are convinced is more evil yet, win.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

2016 was a very different time. I was raped in 2003 and I only felt comfortable even talking to people close to me once the whole MeToo conversation got going. Everything felt like it was moving in a good direction for a minute there :( Like my grandma and my aunts - we all talked about things that had happened to us through out our lives and it was a really good moment.

Talking about it before was treated as very uncouth and always presented as your own fault. Things that Bill Clinton probably did and then the things Hillary did to shut down rape victims was all par for the course.

It took me a very long time to process, let alone talk about the times I've been sexually assaulted. It's extremely uncomfortable at best and downright traumatic at worst. I hope you're doing better, as even time doesn't exactly take the edge off of being so victimized.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Well, since you put in the effort to make this post (which I appreciate), allow me to respond. Regarding item 12, suppose you work for an organization and the CEO is one day accused of having raped someone. Do you quit immediately and on the spot, knowing that every minute of your continual employment will benefit the organization, and by proxy, the CEO? What if it's not just the CEO who is an accused rapist, but a significant portion of leadership? What if you're someone who lives paycheck to paycheck and you and your family's survival depends on you remaining employed?

You might wonder how that applies to the Biden vs. Reade situation. You might say, "well, TWT, surely you did have a choice, which was to not vote for Biden, and that it wasn't a matter of literal survival?" And you're right: for me personally, it wasn't. I can't say the same about my social circle however. For example, I have multiple friends who are DACA recipients, and I knew that their status would continue to be in question if Trump won another term. Another friend is undergoing leukemia therapy, and Trump had tried, and would continue to try, to take away her healthcare. Yet another friend is Yemeni, and her family, back in Yemen, is being crushed by the Saudis, whom Trump supported unequivocally. And more broadly, I genuinely did not think that the country would survive another four years of Trump. So I held my nose and voted for Biden in the general, despite knowing that there is a non-zero chance he sexually assaulted someone in the past. Similarly, no one I know was happy to have to decide between Biden and Trump (and no, don't give me the "you could have voted for Howie" talk), but at the end of the day they did what they thought was right within the larger calculus of their circumstances and that of their social circles.

Speaking more broadly, these situations are rarely black and white. It is not "support rape culture vs. don't support rape culture." The vast majority of the time, people have to operate in murky gray areas, with imperfect information and conflicting priorities, and have to make the choice that they think is the most optimal one, either for themselves or their communities or both. Demanding that they instead put their foot town and make major sacrifices by picking a side and radically changing their behaviors based on that decision will only make you frustrated, because they won't do it. And labeling them "such-and-such apologist" and vehemently arguing that their behaviors are contributing to such-and-such culture will only make it harder for you to win them over — and you absolutely do need to win them over if you want to actually make actual progress.

I know a lot of folks are aggressive on the "you should basically always take the action that does the least amount of evil unless you really really can't" thing, but I didn't intend to argue for that. I agree that all the aspects of survival you mentioned are (appropriately) the most important things in our minds as we go about trying to choose what we do in life. And I certainly think it is uh, extremely reasonable, to imagine Trump winning and things getting (more) horrific for many people.

With the CEO/company thing, the distinction I intend to draw is not between the person that leaves vs the person that stays. It's between the person that is there reluctantly (whether they eventually 'escape' or not) compared to the person that tells themselves it doesn't matter at all whether they are there or not. The latter person will have more comfort but I argue is more disconnected from reality. I don't actually mean to argue that we all need to fully feel reality all the time either; it'd be hard to make it through a day. But when it comes up, you should be able to acknowledge your impact even if it is painful and even if you did it for good reasons.

I don't blame or judge Biden voters as a whole. I've had conversations with people who believe Reade but voted for Biden about the horrific pain that being faced with that choice caused them; it is pretty monstrous to be in that context and then lecture someone. It should never be presented as black and white, yeah. But I don't think it is appropriate to shield people from the ways they can and do influence culture, especially if it is only to win their support for a cause? Like for the other side, sure I want to win people over and have them never vote republican again, but I don't ever want to pretend that Trump voters aren't responsible for Trump's impact on our country.

One aspect of Trump vs Biden was "person who explicitly acknowledges sexually assaulting someone" vs "person with sketchy history and a credible allegation". If we agree on that, I find it hard to understand how participating in that can be argued to not be supporting rape culture, even if I understand why people did it. Many survivors saw this play out and saw the vast amount of support and protection that both of these men received from voters and from the powerful. That sends a message and we all have to acknowledge that (and our part in it) before we can ever move forward.

navigation fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 8, 2021

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Lester Shy posted:

I can understand being agnostic towards both or believing both, but outside of partisanship, I don't understand why someone would believe Christine Ford and not believe Tara Reade (or vice versa). Each case seems to have about the same amount of evidence, both have 30-40 years between the event and the public accusation. If anything, Reade has more contemporary witnesses.

I too wonder if anyone found Ford credible enough to hold up Kavanaugh's confirmation, without finding Reade much more credible.

So Reade honestly misremembered a stairwell as an alcove. I say honestly, because what other possibility is there? A lying Reade, putting together her story, would have reconstructed the layout of the passage from memory . . . and still accidentally recalled a stairwell as an alcove. Someone cooking up a story surely has no reason to randomly lie about the layout of a passageway. Clearly, it's possible for the memory there to be wrong, purely by accident.

Now with Ford, the same fallible memory is a much bigger problem; you really have to trust memory to know that this teen-aged "Brett" she met for 10 minutes 30 years ago is the same middle-aged "Brett" on the news. Reade doesn't have the problem of identifying which Joe it was, or knowing when or where it happened. (I don't think Ford remembered what town she was in or what year it was or why she was there or how she got there.)

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Phyzzle posted:

I too wonder if anyone found Ford credible enough to hold up Kavanaugh's confirmation, without finding Reade much more credible.

Kamala Harris, presumably.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Phyzzle posted:

So Reade honestly misremembered a stairwell as an alcove. I say honestly, because what other possibility is there? A lying Reade, putting together her story, would have reconstructed the layout of the passage from memory . . . and still accidentally recalled a stairwell as an alcove. Someone cooking up a story surely has no reason to randomly lie about the layout of a passageway. Clearly, it's possible for the memory there to be wrong, purely by accident.

Now with Ford, the same fallible memory is a much bigger problem; you really have to trust memory to know that this teen-aged "Brett" she met for 10 minutes 30 years ago is the same middle-aged "Brett" on the news. Reade doesn't have the problem of identifying which Joe it was, or knowing when or where it happened. (I don't think Ford remembered what town she was in or what year it was or why she was there or how she got there.)

Setting aside everything else, there were plenty of reasons not to vote for Kavanaugh even if you believed him.

1) Total George W. Bush/Kenneth Star flunky who was nominated because they hoped he would block investigations into Trump under the unitary executive president sun king theory.

2) Almost certainly had some help wiping out like a million in outstanding gambling debts when his name entered the hat for consideration.

3) Despite the fact that Feinstein foolishly waited until almost the last minute to bring the allegations forward, the Republicans bungled the response so badly that there was no political cover to vote for this guy in the name of unity.

4) Kavanaugh has character issues. Pointedly, it's pretty obvious that Kavanaugh was a drunk in college and the backdrop for the Ford accusation was that Kavanaugh was shitfaced. It's possible Kavanaugh indeed has no recollection of being a rapist.

quote:

But when it came to alcohol consumption, his answers became vague and his frustration showed.

In some instances, when faced with questions related to drinking too much, many noticed that Kavanaugh appeared “defensive” and “evasive,” not providing direct answers or throwing questions back at the senators who asked them.

Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), for example, asked whether his drinking ever caused him to be unable to remember events, and he became insolent.

“You’re asking about blackout. I don’t know, have you?” he said.

Apart from the normal inclination of anyone not wanting to be perceived as an excessive drinker, it’s possible Kavanaugh’s answers were more calculated. Any acknowledgment of excessive drinking and drunkenness would help corroborate the accounts put forth by his accusers of what happened during his high school and college years. The suggestion that he was subject to blacking out could be used to show that he was in no position to know one way or the other what he had allegedly done to Ford. It could have undermined his claims of utter certainty that he never was at the gathering described by Ford.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/09/28/brett-kavanaugh-likes-beer-but-not-questions-about-his-drinking-habits/

As far as Joe Biden, his accuser has credibility issues that scared away news agencies and some legal representation, and the circumstantial evidence is that he's too handsy. While that's not nothing, it's also not equivalent.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Just got to memory hole all the other accusations and ignore the existence of that secret Congressional sex crimes settlement arbitration.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Just got to memory hole all the other accusations and ignore the existence of that secret Congressional sex crimes settlement arbitration.

quote:

I am excited to read about the valid proof that I have missed in the last 2 years.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Joe Biden's accuser doesn't have credibility issues.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Fallen Hamprince posted:

The evidence against Ellison was significantly weaker than that against Biden.

It wasn't just weaker, it was shadier. The woman's son said a video of him committing assault existed. The woman said that the video did exist, but she could neither produce it (because she'd misplaced it in a move) nor should she (because it was nobody's business. The accusations, the existence of the video, and its contents were everyone's business, since she confirmed all of that, just not the actual video itself). It looks way worse to claim you have something and fail to produce it than simply claiming not to have corroborating evidence in the first place.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 8, 2021

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

i dont think theres a human being on this planet that doesnt have credibility issues

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Republicans were actively mindful to be more sensitive towards Kavanaugh's accuser an absolute loving magnitude or two more than the Democrats were towards Tara Reade, it's not even a contest.

Republicans knew they might actually get judged by their actions. Democrats knew an establishment approved candidate would get a free pass. And this was right about when they made drat well sure Bernie was ruled out, and after the 'body language expert' to prove Bernie was a secret Jewish rapist landed with a dull thud.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cloaked posted:

Like for the other side, sure I want to win people over and have them never vote republican again, but I don't ever want to pretend that Trump voters aren't responsible for Trump's impact on our country.

The reverse of this is that people who didn’t participate or didn’t vote against Trump are also responsible.

The fact that Biden was the nominee sucks for about a half dozen reasons, the allegations among them and the fact that the choice for president came down to two probable rapists. I can’t say that it reflects on the people who voted for him though, because the alternative appears to have been letting the country and the vast majority in it crash and burn and I can’t see how that’s helpful.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

The reverse of this is that people who didn’t participate or didn’t vote against Trump are also responsible.

The fact that Biden was the nominee sucks for about a half dozen reasons, the allegations among them and the fact that the choice for president came down to two probable rapists. I can’t say that it reflects on the people who voted for him though, because the alternative appears to have been letting the country and the vast majority in it crash and burn and I can’t see how that’s helpful.

If this is the case I would expect significant pressure on him from them now that he is in the most powerful seat in the world. Apart from folks who already supported Reade there have been crickets and tumbleweeds.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 8, 2021

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

TheKingofSprings posted:

I haven't exactly heard people trying to get him to resign because of it now that the election's over. It's just been more rationalizations for why rape should be excused when it's politically expedient, and why it doesn't matter anyway because we can't trust Reade.

One of the things that I've never gotten a straight answer about from folks who don't think it's disqualifying for a candidate to have sexually assaulted somebody is what behavior should be 100% disqualifying. And if there is none, then who else should get the halo of immunity to consequences?

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

i dont think theres a human being on this planet that doesnt have credibility issues

Yeah it's something that defines us as creatures, that we twist reality to our viewpoint, willfully or unconsciously.

You're allowed (encouraged) to hold uncertainty about a stranger's report even while accepting what they say.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

reignonyourparade posted:

When your legal team quits when it comes out that some other lawyers are going to try to get their cases retried because you lied about your credentials to a jury, you certainly have a case of the nebulous credibility issues. That's above and beyond misremembering details of the assault, which is pretty much a given for any accusation, but especially when it's 30-40+ years ago. This is turn gave the papers ammunition to write long character assassination stories about her, dragging in a bunch of un-substantive poo poo like what a bunch of people not at all involved in the case think of her.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sodomy Hussein posted:

When your legal team quits when it comes out that some other lawyers are going to try to get their cases retried because you lied about your credentials to a jury, you certainly have a case of the nebulous credibility issues. That's above and beyond misremembering details of the assault, which is pretty much a given for any accusation, but especially when it's 30-40+ years ago. This is turn gave the papers ammunition to write long character assassination stories about her.

Again, I really must insist that character assassination attempts like this horseshit should be grounds for an automatic probe/ban. Her lying 30 years later has NOTHING to do with her accusation of being raped by Biden, and it’s absolutely 100% disgusting to say otherwise.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Again, I really must insist that character assassination attempts like this horseshit should be grounds for an automatic probe/ban. Her lying 30 years later has NOTHING to do with her accusation of being raped by Biden, and it’s absolutely 100% disgusting to say otherwise.

Agreed. This is absolute poo poo. Can we not do this here?

And, again, Joe Biden's first presidential campaign imploded due to plagiarism and lying. It's really loving telling when his word is gold to folks who won't even entertain Reade's.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Insanite posted:

And, again, Joe Biden's first presidential campaign imploded due to plagiarism and lying. It's really loving telling when his word is gold to folks who won't even entertain Reade's.

Yeah, Tara could be a convicted murderer for all I care. Murderers can be raped just as much as anyone else. And I will go as far as to say that if anyone brings up Taras lying about her credentials they ARE being a rape apologist and should get an automatic probe or ban. That poo poo should be zero tolerance.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

You might not realize it but you undermine your position when you post like this, you come across like a fanatic. It does harm to the discussion generally and Tara Reade specifically.

Insanite posted:

That post didn't mention Joe Biden.

edit: vvvv but why are you implying that the poster believes Biden's word is gold?

indiscriminately fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 8, 2021

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

indiscriminately posted:

That post didn't mention Joe Biden.

While this is technically correct, I'm not a goldfish and I know what context is. :shrug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

indiscriminately posted:

You might not realize it but you undermine your position when you post like this, you come across like a fanatic. It does harm to the discussion generally and Tara Reade specifically.

I am more than happy to be labeled a fanatic when it comes to not tolerating character assassination attempts by bringing up poo poo that’s unrelated to her rape.

Bringing up unrelated things like that is exactly what prevents people from coming forward and it’s disgusting.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I think re-hashing for the thousandth time whether or not individuals believe Tara Reade is mostly pointless except as an exercise to ferret out who never actually believed in the idea of believing women or the MeToo movement, or only saw it as a useful cudgel for beating Republicans with, and I think those people will out themselves eventually anyway. I also think it's beyond clear that anyone who truly believes someone is using the Reade issue as a cudgel is telling on themselves big time. Plus, there's been more than enough time for the antis to come up with any reasons to disbelieve Tara that aren't bog standard rape apologia excuses, and they've come up with absolutely nothing.

I propose that moving forward, we assume ITT that she's telling the truth, and move on to the uncomfortable questions that follow. What does it mean that Tara Reade was frozen out of mainstream media in the US? What does it mean now that the man who sexually assaulted her is now the most powerful man in the world, and what does that mean for other people who have been abused, assaulted, or raped by powerful men? If it was important to keep Tara Reade out of the spotlight for the sake of getting rid of Trump, why hasn't anyone picked her story back up now that the election is over? Was the skepticism truly about electoral strategy, or was that a fig leaf to cover for the fact that some people just don't want to believe women? Did electing Biden reinforce America's rape culture problem? Et cetera.

The default position imo should be "We believe Tara Reade. What does this mean for our current situation?"

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

This is where I hope this thread could end up.

I don't really have good answers to these questions--I find it sort of depressing just to dwell on them.

There are large swathes of politically aware Americans who don't seem to mind that their elected leaders rape women, cavort with human traffickers, or, hell, just disrespect children's personal boundaries. As long as they're on their team, anyway.

Is that chiefly because political tribalism trumps all? I don't know. It helps, but the wealthy and the powerful, as a rule, get away with this stuff whether or not political control is on the line.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Republicans were actively mindful to be more sensitive towards Kavanaugh's accuser an absolute loving magnitude or two more than the Democrats were towards Tara Reade, it's not even a contest.

Republicans knew they might actually get judged by their actions. Democrats knew an establishment approved candidate would get a free pass. And this was right about when they made drat well sure Bernie was ruled out, and after the 'body language expert' to prove Bernie was a secret Jewish rapist landed with a dull thud.

I don't remember many Democrats saying anything about Reade either way do you have examples?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

I don't remember many Democrats saying anything about Reade either way do you have examples?

Their silence speaks volumes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The stuff with Reade's legal team/the perjury subplot is pretty much entirely the reason the media has gone dark on Reade since about May 2020, and I doubt NYT would have published this kind of article otherwise, because that episode is providing the "meat" to the story. To be clear, this isn't good, it's just what's happened.

As far as "why believe Ford and not necessarily Reade," which is the point of this discussion, we're also skimming over the very important detail that Ford testified on TV and basically nailed it.

quote:

I propose that moving forward, we assume ITT that she's telling the truth, and move on to the uncomfortable questions that follow.

I propose that people not try to backseat mod the thread to cut out people who want to discuss the topic in more detail, share their observations, or express a different opinion. This isn't C-SPAM.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I propose that people not try to backseat mod the thread to cut out people who want to discuss the topic in more detail, share their observations, or express a different opinion. This isn't C-SPAM.

Not backseat modding, just trying to encourage this discussion to be more and better than the thousandth argument between people who believe women vs people who don't :shrug:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This isn't C-SPAM.

Could you not? This is why productive conversations go to hell. Treating "the other forum" as lesser is childish.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
After #metoo, I seriously thought we were going to have a difficult-but-necessary reckoning with all of the various abusers in the Dem party. Franken resigned. After Epstein's arrest, Christine Pelosi made a widely-mocked post about "some of our faves" being implicated, which, while cringeworthy, did indicate we were going to rid ourselves of the Bill Clintons and Bill Richardsons of the party.

I thought #metoo was a line in the sand that said "yes, we've had our share of problems, and moving forward those problems will be dealt with, no matter how painful it is." And then they nominated a man credibly accused of rape, so actually none of that stuff mattered at all.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

Here's some

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/04/30/biden-democrat-supporters-tara-reade-assault-allegation/3056685001/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ent/3056450001/

quote:

Pelosi went on to say that "there was never any record and nobody ever came forward to say something about it apart from the principal involved."

quote:

"So when we say believe women, it's for this explicit intention of making sure there's space for all women to come forward to speak their truth, to be heard. And in this allegation, that is what Tara Reade has done," Gillibrand said.

quote:

"I believed then and I believe now that women deserve to be heard because too often they are not," Abrams said on CNN. "And Tara Reade deserved to have her story listened to and investigated."

Abrams pointed to the reporting done by The New York Times on Reade's case as supporting the Biden campaign's stance.

"They found that the accusation was not credible," Abrams said. "I believe Joe Biden."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The stuff with Reade's legal team/the perjury subplot is pretty much entirely the reason the media has gone dark on Reade since about May 2020, and I doubt NYT would have published this kind of article otherwise, because that episode is providing the "meat" to the story. To be clear, this isn't good, it's just what's happened.

As far as "why believe Ford and not necessarily Reade," which is the point of this discussion, we're also skimming over the very important detail that Ford testified on TV and basically nailed it.
And it’s still disgusting to bring it up because it:
- undermines her right to be heard
- Is a character assassination attempt
- Has absolutely nothing to do with her being raped
- Isn’t relevant to the Joe Biden accusation
- Prevents others from coming forward because they fear the same thing will happen to them.

quote:

Don’t bring up other forums as a crutch to silence discussion.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I believe that Reade was sexually harassed in the distant past but not sexually assaulted like with Ford. There would've been more credence to her larger claim had she not decided RT to be her main outlet, and had she not begun actively supporting Putin before 2020.
That is my stance.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Grouchio posted:

I believe that Reade was sexually harassed in the distant past but not sexually assaulted like with Ford. There would've been more credence to her larger claim had she not decided RT to be her main outlet, and had she not begun actively supporting Putin before 2020.
That is my stance.

RT wasn't her main outlet though ??? Like that came much later.

Also If you were raped by a very powerful person and went to every outlet in the US and everyone turned you down, what other choice do you have? Just pretend it never happened?

Also I can't believe I even have to say this but we know for a fact that powerful people in this country have literally done catch and kills on stories for years.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Grouchio posted:

That is my stance.

So if a victim supports the wrong person they can’t be raped?