Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’ve been reading this thread for months but haven’t participated because I’m trying to catch up on all the previous pages. I jumped to the end today because I saw it had been locked. I’m sure others are in a similar situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Helping Cuomo seems pretty damning, honestly. I can't see that as any kind of structural factor of US society.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Metoo was kind of doomed the moment it was reduced to entertainment media coverage of celebrities. Reportage neutralized a lot of its potential by turning it into human-interest content involving actresses and stories about how famous women have gone through things their audience have endured, rather than keeping attention on how and why sexual violence persists.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t know if there’s a meaningful distinction between being an op and being a band of ideological opportunists who genuinely believe it’s an adult, big-brain pragmatic choice to protect politicians they think are positioned to help their cause and who view the whole thing as career boosting and who think that everyone sees everything as career-boosting. See that quote upthread about how a bunch of people saw Cuomo as the way to get their progressive agenda through the legislature regardless of what he was like as a person. Surely we’ll see some of these people on the board of the Clinton Foundation or the dnc at some point, because to them caring about causes is part of how you play the game.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s probably humiliating to be impeached. Also there’s less of a chance people will start to forget what you did so that you can get a show on cnn like Spitzer.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It is seriously naive to think that Weinstein would have raped the president’s daughter. People like that know how to protect themselves.

The claims about Epstein being a spy etc strike me as fantastical however, and I think they do a disservice to his victims by directing attention away from how a creep like that actually gets away with it. It’s a bit like the satanic panic, where the wild claims become the main story and people stop caring about “mere” mundane abuse as it actually happens. He was able to get away with it because America hates victims and sells justice. The thing that chills me cold about Epstein is that he told his victims he’d ruin their reputations by calling them whores and showing how they’d cut class and then everyone would blame them, and he was right.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yeah, it's not worth diving into it too much, especially not in this thread, but sometimes people assume that all conspiracies are automatically :tinfoil: when if you think about them they're really mundane and basic. Other than some people saying that Epstein had to have help to get started, most of the spy talk is just that he knew had he basic coverage as long as he occasionally handed dirt over to the alphabet agencies. That's less :tinfoil: and more everyday mob/criminal bullshit. It's either that or the theory that he was smart enough to hang out around influential people under the correct guess that the association would make them put a finger on the scale if he ever got charged even if they weren't personally guilty.

Unless you have some evidence for these claims, the objection to them is that this kind of mythologizing is disrespectful to his victims and distracts from what is known about how he operated. It’s as if you’re saying the truth is less interesting, meaningful, and real than a set of speculations that you’d prefer to focus on. If your interest is in justice and reducing harm to women, this is not the way to go about it. Epstein wasn’t some fascinating mystery: he was a crude rapist.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

selec posted:

I am absolutely certain the two most insane intel agencies on earth also had no interest in two of their former heads of state having the same pimp. Why would that interest them?

Jesus H dude listen to yourself. Just ground floor, it’s an enormous blackmail risk. It was public knowledge Epstein was an international trafficker and Clinton and Barak palling around with him was no biggie?

Seems incredibly weird to assert they’d have no interest in him, and in no way detracts from or seeds doubt in his victims stories. What a weird angle to take.

I’m not saying it’s impossible that there is more to the story than is known, but when you ignore what is known about how he found his victims in favor of speculation about how spy agencies must have been involved because there’s no other way he could have gotten away with it, you’re ignoring how abusers get away with it every day. The story isn’t “really” about Clinton and Trump and Bill Gates: they are implicated in a story that is really about how a man got away with abusing women. To say otherwise is to remove the victims from their own stories, which I don’t like because it gives cover to abusers with less sensational stories.

Again, I’m not saying fantastical claims about what else might have happened are wrong, but focus on them as the real truth of what happened is unhelpful in the project of respecting victims and preventing abuse. What’s interesting about epstein is how little he had to do to make people not care about his victims and how easily he could silence them, and all because of mundane features of everyday life in the United States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If I got raped at work and it was the nature of my profession that I would be expected not to name the rapist to avoid being blacklisted, I would not want to be a part of that profession any more and would probably want to use the truth to destroy anyone telling me to stay quiet it if I could.

However I guess the actual reason is that she knows nothing will happen anyway and she’d be blowing up her own life for nothing, like in any situation where a person is sexually assaulted. It sucks.