Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

goethe.cx posted:

I'm still a little confused why right-wing media didn't do anything with the accusation. Sure, you could say that Trump's a rapist too, but hypocrisy never stopped them before.

Abhorrence posted:

This also mystifies me. Were I head of Fox news, and trying to smear Biden, you wouldn't be able to watch a minute of Fox without hearing Tara Reade's tale.

Reade has mentioned in interviews that she was cautioned against doing interviews with FOX and other right wing outlets because people would be suspicious why only FOX, et al, are interviewing and reporting on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Just got to memory hole all the other accusations and ignore the existence of that secret Congressional sex crimes settlement arbitration.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
The only way forward is through sincerity. Playing every action like a game has led us here. Excusing bad behavior. Oppression. Not calling poo poo out.

There are sociopaths among us. They construct and apply game-like rules to inappropriate situations. They are empowered by these games.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

PeterCat posted:

Unfortunately I think that we're 2 presidential elections away before we can get away from anyone tainted by their complicity in either assaulting Tara Reade or covering it up. Either Biden or Harris will run in 2024 and the Party is going to put it's weight behind one of those to candidates.

2028 is the next opportunity to pick a candidate that doesn't have a credible allegation of sexual assault against them.

This kind of buy-in to the contrived games empowers the sociopaths and predators. If you do not truly believe this is inevitable, avoid fatalistic phrasing. These events are years away and can be opposed.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Curious meta going on with the thread's rating. Doesn't look like too many votes, because of the fluctuations, but it does speak volumes that several posters would go out of their way to down vote this topic.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I thought polls showed everyone knew about Tara Reade and what she went through.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Upside is people may see him resign as a form of penance, then if they see him get a job in the Biden admin it must mean that Cuomo either wasn't guilty or he paid his price and is welcome back in the party. Rehabilitates his image with people not paying attention or only paying attention to the good news outlets.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

goethe.cx posted:

The people claiming Biden will appoint Cuomo to something are the same people claiming that he would staff his administration with Rahm Emanuel and Larry Summers. Needless to say, these predictions were off the mark

They were right in that these individuals were almost welcomed into notable seats of the administration, but were wrong in guessing how much criticism the administration was willing to stomach to do so. That was early on. Could be different now, could be the same. It would be great if similar orgs to those that objected to Rahm and Larry would have sufficient pull to make the Clintons and Cuomo and others personae non gratae for sex crimes, war crimes, etc.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

https://news.yahoo.com/as-biden-fends-off-sexassault-charge-national-archives-says-it-has-no-relevant-records-201631973.html posted:

“There is only one place a complaint of this kind could be — the National Archives,” the statement said. “The National Archives is where the records are kept at what was then called the Office of Fair Employment Practices. I am requesting that the Secretary for the Senate ask the Archives to identify any record of the complaint she alleges she filed and make available to the press any such document. If there was ever any such complaint, the record will be there.”

An agency official said it was possible that Congress has leased space at the National Archives that might contain such records from the congressional office — which has since changed its name to the Office of Congressional Workplace Rights. But, the official said, the archives does not control any such records or have custody of them. It was not immediately clear whether any of the congressional records being stored at the archives would include those from the employment office, even if the archives is unable to access them.

Seems like Calvinball.

E: "the statement" being from team biden

the article continues posted:

Biden’s public papers are in the archives of the University of Delaware, under seal until two years after he leaves public life. In response to questions from “Morning Joe” co-host Mika Brzezinski in an interview Friday morning, Biden said those documents would not include any personnel matters but do hold private correspondence with former President Barack Obama and other world leaders that he is unwilling to release in the middle of a presidential campaign.

It is unfortunate no mechanism exists to release only a selection of documents, under some form of disclosure agreement. Unprecedented. Alas, no such document is contained there. Be assured.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 16, 2021

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

some plague rats posted:

So here's the thing, taking Bowie as a good example: I'm not talking in terms of moral purity here. He was clearly a pretty lovely guy in a lot of ways but his impact is so undeniable that trying to scrub him from history is pointless at best. What I'm wondering is on a purely personal level, how it remains possible to enjoy listening to his music with that little voice in the back of your head going hey, remember what this guy did? Is it a question of severity, like he was a poo poo but compared to someone like gary glitter he didn't do anything really bad enough to piss on your enjoyment? Or are you just able to put that out of mind and be like yes. Nice song.? I don't want this to sound like an attack cos it's not, I'm just curious how exactly people go about the specifics of separating art from artist.

Perhaps there are some parallels that can be drawn between this and other habits, like not consuming animal products. Some people are persuaded enough to change their personal behavior, some localities are persuaded to change local norms, ... and so on up to larger and larger circles of human organization. Individual choices are a start, but--while they can be deeply personal--it doesn't do much to change the higher orders (often takes generations).

Consumer choice seams like the only thing we are made to believe we are empowered to do, like reusable shopping bags and bringing your own chopsticks/knife/fork/spoon instead of disposable; systemic changes are much more impactful. To an extent, they are connected and co-arise. Academically it is important to investigate specific aspects like this, but I fear focusing public discourse on it can aid the perpetuation since any ask for systemic change then falls out of the spotlight.

*this thread isn't exclusively public discourse, certainly

we see this academic/public issue elsewhere, like the insistence on prefacing statements with "Saddam/Assad/Maduro/Gaddafi is a bad guy, but..." which contributes to calls for war regardless of whatever comes after the 'but', saying things like "all lives matter", etc.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
There are other guys that when hearing about any sort of "problem" feel they are being told about the issue as a means to seek help or advice, and can get frustrated when it is either a complex issue or--when diving deeper into it--critical details are withheld that (they feel) should have been shared from the start. This is a communication issue as much as a cultural. Though i dunno how much extra care in prefacing would help with the dudes that are trigger happy to jump to ultraviolence.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Let me try to again.

I've seen conversations where (later on) it is unclear if someone is trying to commiserate or figure out a real life problem over some very mundane stuff like dealing with the post office, and it goes on for a hundred posts. It starts out with "oh this X is such a bother" but later statements from the person reveals the crux of the problem is Y, but then after a hundred more posts Y was actually resolved before the whole conversation started and they are hung up on Z. People feel like they were being strung along.

The audience here was expecting this to be a conversation about how to clear some bureaucratic hurdles. Their expectations were informed by their culture w.r.t. conversation and how the communication was structured. The onus is on both parties to overcome cultural and communication hurdles; culture takes a while to shape, and so communication needs to be more flexible in the short run.

In the personal story shared further up, the guy should have wondered a bit more about why he was being shared that information before going aggro. It sucks getting aggro is a part of many people's culture, wish that would change.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Gotta do some introspection because, hey, you might not actually be a good guy. Mayhaps your rhetoric is misguided and actually perpetuates rape culture.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

fool of sound posted:

If you would prefer to yell about things happening rather than learning and understanding why they happened I suggest you do so in a different subforum.

Within the systems of power the official story of "why" is often a façade created with the purpose of preserving the system. You don't gotta take it at face value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

VitalSigns posted:

yeah I guess you're right, it was annoying to get a probe message like "explaining the decision isn't defending it" only for a mod to jump in and start explicitly defending the decision as a victory for defendants' rights.

It was a pretty good example of how power systems are biased to protect certain people, provide a chilling effect to dissuade others from speaking up; even in the microcosm of Something Awful.