Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
This thread was really important for me to read. I feel like I've been unintentionally enabling rape culture in ways I'm horrified about in the ways I've discussed Biden. I also don't think I really understood what it meant to fully support rape survivors and stand behind the women these predators target. Thank you to the earlier posters that shared some really brave things to provide context to their posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

some plague rats posted:

Do you mind sharing any specifics? Knowing what can get through to people is helpful when we talk about stuff like this. Also I'm so internet poisoned I had to read through that twice to figure out if it was a poo poo post, god help me

I deleted it and rewrote it twice. I wasn't sure I wanted to post it. I'm fairly embarrassed. The conversations regarding systemic enabling of rapists through "greater good" rationalization and the nuances attached to that were important. I also feel like... and this is the embarrassing part, I fell for a lot of silencing propaganda. Nothing about denying this women made any sense, but when you have "reasonable people" speaking with confidence, and your family saying the same, it's so easy to come to this comfortable, passive, conclusion that doesn't challenge you. And that conclusion sucked. And I have to apologize to a couple people.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

dex_sda posted:

first off, the apology isn't to me in any sense but I do want to say it's heartwarming to see someone reevaluate their point of view and improve. i don't think you should be as embarrassed for falling for it as you are, if anything I think it deserves praise that you realised your error.

So, a genuine question, since you've highlighted something in that post. To me, the denials have made no sense from the start, and they still don't, for many reasons that the article I posted and this thread elucidates. Since it is so clear to me, the denials have gotten my blood boiling with anger. But you raise a good point that many 'reasonable people' in the media were suddenly speaking against Tara so some ordinary peeps felt compelled to come to a passive conclusion that ignored the truth, which, while misguided, is not hateful. So, I guess I wondered: from your perspective of the time, do you feel the voices of people who believed Tara were being intentionally squashed along with hers and this is why you may have missed them? What did you think of the Megyn Kelly interview - did you watch it or perhaps skipped it assuming it would be Fox drivel? And what do you think made the Dem establishment so effective at silencing Tara's story?

I can't really overstate how much of an echo chamber I was in of self appointed woke liberals. I think when everyone around you is like "oh that thing? No it's not credible." You just kind of accept it, and you believe the people you love and trust. Especially people who seem to be more well read than you or work in a field that implies expertise. You make your own truth based off theirs. It's a vulnerability of trust I guess. There weren't any red flags for me, which is not good.

I missed the interview for the reasons you said.

The democratic party represents corporate and patriarchal power in a way that appeals to people who want to feel like they're doing "the right thing" in one way, conservatives do the same thing in a different way that on average is more damaging to people. They're just different flavors of pickle for different tastes, but it's still the same drat pickle. It's a machine made to kill opposition to power, which accountability for this would be. People always joke how democrats are the most efficient losers in politics, but they're not, they're doing exactly what they set out to do and they're great at it.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I want to thank you for engaging with us and sharing your point of view. It is providing a lot of good insight into potentially common thought processes that people can go through for these situations, particularly, the stuff you posted about how this has eroded your belief in the democrats.

Did you feel that way about the dems before you read through this thread or did re-evaluating your belief of Tara Reade also cause you to re-examine how you viewed the dems?

To answer your questions about democrats without going off the rails in an angry tirade I've been disillusioned with them for years, but until recently I've thought of them as still being leagues better than the alternative. They're not. I think until recently I was thinking of this in terms of one or the other, dem or con. But I don't want to support a rapist. It doesn't make me want to get Biden elected anymore to keep a Trump out, it makes me want to destroy the institution. Yes, obviously I'd want a Biden presidency over a Trump one in a vacuum but I don't want to play that disgusting game any more. I don't know what to do. I have a lot of impotent rage I need to figure out how to focus. Maybe if a party backs a rapist the point of view should be that they've chosen to lose, and who am I to get in their way? Where should the burden be? If I don't vote for the rapist am I responsible for deaths caused by the alternate administration? I didn't put the rapist up as a choice! But the choice is there. It disgusts me. I think a lot of people are confused, and don't have the logical rigor to work it through. I don't feel like I do sometimes, and feel foolish.

That's why threads like this are important. They're challenging. They make you work for the answer.

Anyway, I think I've taken enough attention in this thread. Thanks for being kind enough to seek out my perspective, rough as it is.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Bringing up Biden being a rapist with my liberal in-laws and extended family... woof

That's about the quickest and most handily this white boy has ever been dismissed. Probably a good lesson in humility. Didn't even have a chance to discuss, was just a roaring hurricane of not giving a gently caress and disengaged dismissal. Anecdotal I guess but people really just don't want to hear it.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

some plague rats posted:

Now imagine your family is the entire country and you've got an idea of how Tara Reade felt! Just a little something to completely ruin your morning :(

This has been ruining a lot more than my morning.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

This thread is never going to change the minds of people who don't believe women.

You helped to change mine. Thanks, for what it's worth.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

The only exception I can think of was Leanne Tweeden who didn't seem to suffer any longterm consequences.

But they still tried with her (publishing pictures of her in skimpy outfits, bringing up all the times she consensually touched or kissed someone to imply she's a slut who wanted it or made it up later or something etc)

Of course
  • She didn't have a political career so was more protected from retaliation
  • She had the photo of him harassing her that he'd previously used to humiliate her for laughs
  • Very telling that none of the women in Democratic party politics that he'd harassed felt safe accusing him until actual proof of him doing it to someone else came out

The way people are polarized against parties at all costs, combined with the undermining of rape culture... I feel like you could release a literal video of you being raped with the senator smiling dead-straight at the camera and still get death threats and Tucker Carlson interviewing your grade 2 teacher about how you cheated on a mad minutes or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I'd be very pleased to have a small nugget of my cynicism skewered.