Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Herstory Begins Now posted:

on a non IK note, I'm skeptical that there's anything particularly about liberals or whatever that is leading to people choosing to vote for someone accused of rape when literally both sides just had the highest turn out in american history while each running candidates accused of rape.

Which is hella depressing to think about. I'm gonna go walk around in the woods with my dog.

It was a choice of poo poo sandwiches. Handsy Joe versus Grab-em-by-the-Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Willa Rogers posted:

No; I'm pointing out the absurdity of handwaving Reade's accusation as Biden being "handsy."

Your point is well taken, though I was referring to his general handsiness, not Reade in particular. Their "signature moves", if you will.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, what's the upside of most of the weirdly spiteful things people like Joe do? It's just owning the people who make him mad.

:ironicat:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

Also this is just a really bizarre criterion for believably. Tara Reade would have more credibility if other women had come forward after her? In this case, she's the one coming forward after other women had already spoken about Biden's inappropriate behavior.

There's other sexual assault allegations against Biden?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

tmfc posted:

The OP didn't specify "sexual assault," just inappropriate behavior.

Oh, it's not like Handsy Uncle Joe was a secret, just that Reade was the only one I'd heard of who credibly alleged sexual assault.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

Could we not dismiss the violation of women's physical boundaries as being "Handsy Uncle Joe," please?

If it makes you happier, he's a creepy, touchy-feely, wildly-inappropriate-at-a-minimum, hair-sniffing old weirdo. Quite possibly committed at least one sexual assault. Good old Handsy Uncle Joe.

I dismissed nothing, incidentally, you seem a little too hyper-ready to jump to attack people who actually substantively agree with you, friend.

gently caress Handsy Uncle Joe.

Ed: in neither case was I referring to Reade's allegations as Biden being "handsy". Biden does, generally, have a reputation for being "handsy", however. I don't think that's really a contentious point, surely?

I am able to differentiate Biden's public persona from private allegations, and frankly "Handsy Uncle Joe" seems quite apt as regards the former. You may, in future, assume that is the frame of reference in which I am using the term. I will try to remember to talk about the sexual assault allegations as "Rapey Uncle Joe" in a gesture of solidarity henceforth. I hope this can be reciprocated in comradely good-fellowship, friend.

A compromise has been put forth.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 9, 2021

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

For want of a better place or time: other posters disliked how I described the general public's perception of Biden and Trump's treatment of women.

Leaving that to one side, for the record, I hope I have been clear that I believe and have said Reade's accusations were serious and credible. In a just world they would have been treated as such, and investigated thoroughly; instead she was predictably attacked and slandered, just as Trump's allies attacked and slandered his accusers. Powerful men are rarely called to account; Weinstein and Epstein are exceptions, not the rule.

I hope she finds justice and peace. I seriously doubt either Trump or Biden will ever be held to account, of course.

Three decades ago my sister quietly sat me down and explained she'd been raped some months prior by a classmate while half-passed out drunk on a couch. She blamed herself for getting drunk, told nobody, quietly got STD tested out of town so nobody could see her at a clinic. When she told me I wanted nothing more than to find the rapist and break his loving legs. My sister then explained she'd waited to tell me until he'd flown home overseas after graduation to avoid "any scenes". That was my introduction at 23 to how hosed up society is on the issue of rape. My sister didn't consent, and I have zero problems believing Reade didn't consent to any sexual assault from Biden.

I really don't have anything to contribute to this thread other than the above. Apart from trying to help my sister come to terms with what happened I've never had to deal with anything similar.

Apologies for the intrusion.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

some plague rats posted:

Here's something else I'd like to bring up. First up, I fully understand your reaction so I don't want it to seem like I'm picking on you or anything. But to any other guys who might read this, please DO NOT do this.

No, no, you nailed it. My sister actually told me at the time she had specifically waited to tell me until there was literally no chance I could do anything, something like "I knew you'd feel this way".

I mean I was 23, she was my only sister, and we were all the family each had, our parents had both died before I turned 20.

So looking back, I shake my head at 23-year-old-me trying to play hothead, but at the time I didn't have the advantage of three decades more life experience.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I was making the point that the ethical justification for "innocent until proven guilty" doesn't make sense when applied to the wealthy/powerful.

I disagree with the "it's important to protect defendant rights even when it's a rich person like Cosby" rationale because I think that people who fall into that class are not part of the population warranting protection.

I can just see it now, defense lawyers trying to prove their client was worth less than some arbitrary wealth limit that lets the state just toss "those people" in jail.

Plus if you're tossing out presumption of innocence, just dispense with right to counsel too, and habeas corpus and self-incrimination, while you're at it. Much speedier show trials.

Very ethical indeed.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

And mb I guess Ytlaya was kinda saying the courts should ignore due process for rich people as long as they exist.

Frankly, if they ignore due process for "rich people", why on earth would anyone think they'll give any such consideration to poor people?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

"Yeah, so let's make it *worse*" is an odd mast to tie yourself to.

Ed: let's just end this pointless "why can't I throw everyone I don't like in jail" derail.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 7, 2021

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Jarmak posted:

Noted rich person Ernesto Miranda.

Mustache-twirling, evil railroad tycoon Clarence Earl Gideon, likewise.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

Let's not, please.

Though it is a bit ironic that the article you shared is using the exact same framing you objected to LLD using.

Odd that posters dismissed the issue as just "he said/she said" for Dore. That his behaviour should be ignored because the poster liked his politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Flayer posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3v5ng/girls-sexual-abuse-multiple-coaches-blackhills-football-club

So an appalling story of child rape by a coach at the club, the victims finally starting to get some semblance of justice over a decade later. Digging down into the story though it really does reveal how hosed the American justice system is. Because the rapist is poor (or at least not rich) there is no point going after him so he gets to walk away scot free. The (culpable) football club pays out some compensation instead because that's where the profit is.

What

The decision not to sue the rapist was made by the victim, which makes sense in a civil trial if the rapist has no assets.

It would be great if this ended up getting criminal charges laid, I doubt there's a statute of limitations issue.