Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Abhorrence posted:

To be clear, you don't believe that committing perjury erodes someone's credibility?

Can you understand how someone could believe the opposite?

Would you consider Biden's catalogue of lying about various things over the years evidence that he did in fact do it, then? Because that's the same logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
There are a bunch of accounts of her talking about it contemporaneously when it happened, as well as her mother calling in, and various other staffers who worked with her at the time said they also believe it happened. I also think that having that kind of traumatic event happen to you might affect the way the rest of your life goes, so using something that happened decades later doesn't really have any bearing and is pretty much just grasping at straws trying to impugn her. Again, Biden has lied about much more substantial things with much more severe consequences, but that doesn't really seem relevant to the people bringing up the degree thing, which is a pretty glaring inconsistency.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fallen Hamprince posted:

In that video, Reade’s mother states that Reade had had “problems” while working at Biden’s office, but didn’t want to speak out for fear of harming Biden’s reputation. It’s not particularly consistent with the 2020 allegations. Reade’s former coworker, when interviewed, told reporters that Reade had had difficulties with her work as a staffer.

Reade’s account of the assault does not match up with the geography of the capital building.
[/quote]

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/12/us/politics/joe-biden-tara-reade-sexual-assault-complaint.html

quote:

Ms. Reade, who worked as a staff assistant helping manage the office interns, said she also filed a complaint with the Senate in 1993 about Mr. Biden; she said she did not have a copy of it, and such paperwork has not been located. The Biden campaign said it did not have a complaint. The Times reviewed an official copy of her employment history from the Senate that she provided showing she was hired in December 1992 and paid by Mr. Biden’s office until August 1993.

The seven other women who had complained about Mr. Biden told the Times this month that they did not have any new information about their experiences to add, but several said they believed Ms. Reade’s account.

It seems much more straightforward to assume that people who were there at the time and had first hand knowledge of both the location and the people involved had a better perspective on how likely it was to have happened than people walking around 30 years later and saying "nope doesn't look like it to me, case closed"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Abhorrence posted:

Just to be clear here, about my own personal views I do believe Reide, but the circumstances make it unclear enough that I can understand why people would be skeptical, without being rape apologists.

Please correct me if I'm wrong,, but there is little to no corroborating evidence; I recall the politico investigative journalist who investigated it expressing her frustration over the lack of evidence. So a lot of this depends on believing in Reide, and a history of lying makes that more difficult.

Unless you think that lying about something decades later is that damning, you can also look at the contemporaneous accounts from other women who made similar kinds of accusations, though to a different degree, who believed her, and the other people she told about it happening at the time, and how she was fairly unceremoniously removed from her duties around the time she said it happened. Also, if lying makes you not credible, then Biden should have much, much less credibility, since he lied about way more things that were much more consequential before, during, and after the time it happened.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Gods_Butthole posted:

If you want to be generous, yeah you can not believe Tara Reid without being an actual rape apologist. You are just functionally making rape apology easier by undercutting the MeToo movement. I'm not sure if that's any better.

The biggest thing is how stark the contrast has been between her treatment and the treatment of Ford. I haven't run into anybody who supports Democrats who has accused her of lying about Kavanaugh or even less flagrantly just said they're unsure about her, but people are willing to try to find any reason to discredit Reid. It's pretty hard to look at those two cases and treat them completely differently just based on the facts, you pretty much only can if there's an extra motivation behind it with regards to how one of them is accusing a Republican and one is accusing a Democrat.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Do you have any links? I’ve never seen any corroboration from fellow staffers.

One issue with relying on corroboration from friends is that in some cases, the stories have changed:

I linked the relevant section in another post where NYT reporters asked some of the other women who accused Biden and clearly stated that some of them also believed her account:

Lemming posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/12/us/politics/joe-biden-tara-reade-sexual-assault-complaint.html

It seems much more straightforward to assume that people who were there at the time and had first hand knowledge of both the location and the people involved had a better perspective on how likely it was to have happened than people walking around 30 years later and saying "nope doesn't look like it to me, case closed"

Since you seem to be focusing on the fact that the stories have changed as evidence that she should be discredited, could you show me some research showing that that's not a normal thing to happen with this sort of case? Because my understanding is that things like details changing in your memory is actually massively common in this sort of thing, and it being used to try to prove that she's lying is pretty gross. I agree it makes the situation much stickier than it would otherwise be if everything was perfectly consistent and rock solid, but again there are enough contemporaneous accounts (and the call her mother gave is incredibly specific and damning, imo) that I don't think a few details changing is particularly relevant.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Again, it’s not only that Reade’s memory regarding the assault itself changed. It’s that other people’s memory of what Reade told her appears to change also.

Needing to be reminded about something that happened almost 30 years ago isn't a "memory changing" it's that it happened 30 years ago and you probably aren't going to vividly remember every detail instantly. Why are you pointedly ignoring the phone call her mother gave which specifically mentions the event, which is unambiguous and objective evidence of someone talking about it without "changing their memory"?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Is there a breakdown somewhere of all the people she told, it keeps sounding like a bunch but everyone keeps talking about that one neighbor.

Wikipedia has a good breakdown:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Biden_sexual_assault_allegation#Accounts_by_Reade%27s_associates

The next two sections under it also talk about her family and ex-husband she also told

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fallen Hamprince posted:

The phone call to Larry King does not mention any instance of sexual assault or harassment, by Biden or anyone else. The earliest recorded mention of anything like that is in the court documents relating to her ex husband, but these again do not mention Biden specifically.

Yeah I'm done with this charade, this guy was banned for being gross about calling Reade a liar before and it's clear no amount of good faith discussion is going to amount to anything. Who the gently caress else could it be, she was working for Biden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Huh I hadn't heard about that, now I understand why people question that one neighbor that did not remember until Reade not that I agree with them. This whole thing is a mess did Reade ever press charges so there could be a full real investigation or has it been too long I'm not sure if sexual assault has a statute of limitations.

quote:

Reade and her brother stated that their mother had encouraged Reade to call the police after the alleged incident, and that her brother regretted having previously told Reade to "move on, guys are idiots".[35]

She didn't, but the fact that she didn't doesn't do anything to prove things one way or the other. It is incredibly common not to try to do that in these situations, and a lot of people will say they regret trying to press charges because they still weren't believed and it made their lives much worse.