Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Whatever the case, I feel that Biden is atoning for his past actions with his policies, and that at the very least he has stopped his misdemeanors crimes.

It's hard to say given media silence on the issue, but given his history of being extremely skeevy around women (up to and including on live tv) it's hard to believe he stopped

Biden has also openly said that he "is not sorry for anything [he's] ever done" in regards to his history of sexual harassment

crepeface posted:

I realise Biden's miserable political history is outside this thread's topic, but Biden's rape of Tara Reade is one personal and specific case that Democratic leadership and corporate media/PR chose to overlook.

The fact he was still nominated reveals their complete lack of moral superiority/leadership. They have no grounds to lecture and anyone that gives them anything but extreme skepticism and contempt is a sycophantic worm.

Part of why Reade was so heavily muted, besides daring to imply that the establishment's current favorite boy did anything wrong and the culture of shielding the powerful from any consequences, is she went against the "beacon of healing and unity" narrative the media was pushing.

This is why his campaign was largely hiding him in a basement and painting him as Mr. Rogers, Biden is roughly just as combative and toxic as Trump and has a lifetime of vile policies to back it up

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Not sure why you put the word perjury in scare quotes. You should preferably not do bullshit like that, because lying under oath is lying under oath, and it is a serious crime.

Anyway, since you asked:

https://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca...z5SUCAgCg%3D%3D

The defendant is Jennifer Vasquez from this article: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/tara-reade-s-qualifications-expert-witness-come-under-fire-n1212516

Reade's perjurious testimony contributed to the defendant being sentenced to life in prison.

Also discussed here: https://www.montereycountyweekly.co...76b2cd779e.html

Why is this relevant in the first place though

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yep and it's why I focus on an investigation. Even if you absolutely don't believe her you should want an investigation because that's how the system should work and that's how we decide guilt and innocence and no one should be above the law. Yet a bunch of team blue thinks there shouldn't be one.

I wouldn't have much faith in an investigation since rich people facing actual consequences under capitalism is insanely rare unless they pissed off someone richer, but I agree that one needs to happen nonetheless

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DoomTrainPhD posted:

As discussed earlier, the DNC should not have put them in that position to begin with.

I feel like this needs to be hammered home, because Biden was tanking hard before the DNC put their thumb on the scale in his favor. They literally could have chose anyone else! But no, it had to be the(very unpopular at the time) Biden for some reason.

Like from a pure sociopath standpoint I could understand why they would push Biden if his popularity was overwhelming(though that would not make it right to do so) but he was like one of the worst choices imaginable, why do this for him???

silicone thrills posted:

Im not angry at individuals who felt like they had to vote for Joe Biden.

I'm angry that we have a party that forced this into being.

I am angry at individuals who continue to act as if we need to support him or give him an iota of respect or allowance. I will not give him a break. I will not stop hammering him. I will not stop hammering the party.

This is where I'm at.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

LionArcher posted:

Cool. Are you white? because if you are, and you're not more pissed at someone like Tom Brady (who is both clearly a worse human being and also a worse athlete) then your high horsing something that's at least partly fueled in racial biases. Kobe's legal team did what they were paid to do. And yes, it was lovely. And yes, he at least admitted fault and paid a fee. Was justice served? That feels like a different conversation honestly. But I will say if you look at his actions after the case, it appears that he was in fact trying to right wrongs. He championed female sports, put a spotlight on them and was doing a drat good job of being a coach. And now he's dead, so if nothing else your post is in poor taste, but this feels like a derail.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I think that people who rape are in fact bad, no matter who they are or what else they've done

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lester Shy posted:

Agreed. It's also disheartening to see him talked about as a cute old man (He has rescue dogs! He likes ice cream!) while these accusations are never addressed. I feel like a big selling point was his personal demeanor, which all of these accusations undercut, but not really because they just get swept under the rug. It reminds me of the MAGA fanatics who go all starry eyed over Trump while ignoring every single thing about his personal life.

His demeanor in-person, much like Trump, is almost always extremely combative and ill-tempered outside of speeches.

Joe's biggest weakness is that Joe Biden is, put as politely as possible, an extremely unpleasant person and his popularity depends entirely on the illusion that he's a saint of healing and understanding. So basically:

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

In order to keep their voting base so as to pursue their economic and political goals, the Democrats CANNOT allow Reade to be perceived as telling the truth. It undermines their entire project. That's why they had to go after her, and that's why they'll continue to go after her for at least as long as keeps speaking out about what Biden did to her (and probably until she, or maybe Biden, dies)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

How are u posted:

From this source: https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/06/politics/joe-biden-tara-reade-monmouth-poll/index.html
The Tara Reade allegation got plenty of air time. It was fully absorbed by Democrats, and 8 out of 10 Democrats decided that they didn't believe her accusation. You can hop into the crosstabs for the poll at this link, on page 16: https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/documents/monmouthpoll_us_050620.pdf/

I'd argue it wasn't "fully absorbed", most just ignored the details and looked for the first excuse to ignore it entirely, especially because it interfered with the media's "biden is a saint of healing and compassion" narrative

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

How are u posted:

Just say nothing about Putin!

Fun fact: this important lesson can also be applied to this thread

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I've only run into the "fan of a piece of art that turns out to have been made by a sexpest" scenario a couple times and it absolutely ruins the art for me full-stop. Like my brain just goes "gently caress that used to be so good, but now it's poo poo" and I disengage entirely.

Some people might be more indifferent(or, if they're terrible, more appreciative) but I think it does change your perception of the art in some way, without exception.

In my opinion you can't really separate art from artist as art is a form of expression by the artist. If that artist turns out to be a terrible human being, it shifts your perception of the art. Previously overlooked flaws or strange things suddenly become very clear, and bad.

That's just me though, I'm not even remotely what you would call an Art Appreciator so I could be entirely off-base.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

misadventurous posted:

I appreciate you being thoughtful about it so I’ll be clear that I didn’t intend to come off as flippant. This behavior earnestly disgusts me and I think it’s loving stunning that he just keeps doing it, especially again in the same week where he was asked to give a statement about another gropey creep.

I certainly don’t co-sign any of that twitter accounts beliefs. In general I do try to double check and make sure I’m not retweeting/reposting someone heinous; because I had already seen both the video source and Higgins’ tweet in addition to this one, and because this is a pattern of behavior for Biden, it was sufficiently corroborated from my POV and I just grabbed the first link I remembered seeing without glancing at his TL first. Wasn’t trying to post up a gotcha, or further some shithead’s agenda, just giving my visceral reaction. because yeeeeeeeesh.

Yeah he just won't stop doing it and the most frustrating part is how everyone loving ignores it.

Like Biden gets handsy with a literal child on live tv for like the 5th time and everyone around him, his supporters, and even people on these very forums, immediately adopt a 1000 yard stare and develop super vision that stops them from seeing Joe Biden only. It's incredibly vile.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

misadventurous posted:

Just remembered he also made that bizarre comment recently about a little girl at the memorial day thing

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/biden-called-creepy-after-attempting-to-compliment-young-girl-by-saying-she-looks-19/ar-AAKvnir

Like seriously, I hate this fuckin guy and I don’t support him, but even if I did I’d be like “shut up you dumb creep! stop touching kids! what the hell are you doing”

Again, you’d think he’d have handlers by now specifically to STOP HIM FROM DOING THIS poo poo

The main reason he gets away with it is that everyone around him cannot acknowledge that he's a huge fuckin creeper. Biden's entire popularity and political effectiveness hinges on the idea that he's some saint of healing come to fix the country after the Bad Orange Man(and only the Bad Orange Man there are no problems with capitalism and he definitely wasn't just a symptom of a bigger problem) ruined everything,

Unfortunately the person they chose as a symbol of this idea is a serial sex pest who literally cannot stop himself from assaulting every girl or woman he sees, because he has never actually been punished for it. So everyone's eyes glaze over and they just pretend he's not assaulting people on live TV right in front of them. Restraining him would be acknowledging that there's a problem and would break the elaborate fantasy they've constructed out of nothing.

It's horrific.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

It's cool, lets just pigeon hole the whole conversation to a thread with less than 30 regular readers because the idea of talking about this in a popular and active thread is uncouth.

The Fantasy must be maintained at all costs.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Time's Up is a catch-and-kill operation. Helping Cuomo is the kind of thing it was made for.

I thought it originated as a way to cynically attack Republicans, then morphed into a catch-and-kill the second people started thinking Democrat sex pests were also bad

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Given the timing of the accusations during the primaries, it's quite possible that orders came down from on high that suddenly Biden had to be sainted rather than an also-ran and the story went from supported to quashed with extreme prejudice.

Yeah within like days of Obama putting his thumb on the scale and Joe Biden suddenly becoming a treasured saint of healing and love it was all-hands-on-deck to scrub #metoo from the public consciousness, along with driving home "HIM OR TRUMP, HIM OR TRUMP" to get around the whole "has spent his entire political career being an utter monster" issue. It was as impressive as it was utterly irredeemable and vile.

Cranappleberry posted:

It sure seems like any time anyone creates a charity, NGO or centralized organization from a grassroots movement it's a deliberate effort to scam people or appropriate the movement into helping the powerful.

grassroots efforts can go horribly awry, too, but I can't blame people for their cynicism.

Coopting is a huge problem for basically any attempt at organizational change in the U.S. Protests will have random people nobody's seen before show up with megaphones and claim to speak for everyone, while demanding everyone be extra-nice to cops and don't trouble our betters. More organized groups will have careerists weasel their way into leadership positions and immediately set to watering down anything that isn't ruling-class-friendly.

It's a favored tactic of the ruling class because it's hard to do anything about it pre-emptively without descending into paranoia. Of course there's other methods, such a media smears/blackouts and just outright police brutality. For being such incredibly ineffective rulers they have a ton of ways to make sure nothing gets done.

And if all that isn't enough, there's the final issue: If the ruling-class assault is either ineffective or successfully repelled then uh people just start mysteriously turning up dead.

e: That's why "Organize!" tends to ring hollow to a lot of people

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 9, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cranappleberry posted:

I'm not trying to criticize organizing so stay with me here. Commiserating, having support and a common purpose that you are willing to fight for is good but it's fraught with difficulties. Intra-group issues can also turn people off.

I bring it up because in the case of celebrities or wealthy, their influence positions them in a hierarchical position of power within a group. So the group can easily become about them and be used as another vehicle with which to exercise their will, as mentioned. The same is true of local groups becoming personality cults or exploited by a particular individual or in-group. That's just one issue.

Even with decentralized groups and movements there are about a million problems that can arise from internal dynamics, not even getting into outside issues or pressures. It's a wonder humans can work together at all.

Oh sorry I wasn't accusing you or anything, just elaborating on why everything seems to turn into a lovely grift

It actually takes quite a lot of work to stop humans from working together, years of manpower and trillions of dollars have been burnt to that end

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

Just a pure unrestricted "I am going to shoot myself in the foot" statement delivered in defense of a monster. What on Gods green earth was this person thinking?

"Doubling the gently caress down on an indefensible position" is a proud American tradition, see Biden's approval rating despite being a proven monster for an easy example

e: People just don't like being wrong, even if they have to go against reality itself to maintain their illusion. That person probably bought into the Cuomo hype at one point and is now just loyal until death because to do otherwise would be admitting an error in judgement.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 9, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

fool of sound posted:

There's an unspoken rule in... most leadership positions but especially politics, where resignation leads to less severe or no further consequences. In theory, the utility here is to encourage people to resign rather than cause a bunch of damage to a government or organization by fighting till the end, but it also exists just because it lets wealthy and influential people avoid consequences.

A standard tactic in the UK at least is to quietly resign into a golden parachute to diffuse anger and then the resigned gets replaced by someone who's more or less the same. In this way blatant corruption can pass without damaging the party at large

Cuomo probably won't stay hiding for long though, his ego won't really allow it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The idea that Epstein wasn't collecting a big ol blackmail folder from visitations to Pedo Island is patently absurd.

It's the most basic rule of ruling-class horrific sex crime rings: make sure enough powerful people are "initiated" so that everyone goes down if someone starts having morals all of a sudden. A lot of powerful people have a very, very vested interest in this issue stopping immediately at Epstein himself and going no further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1461865958365188098?s=20

Oops! All Grifters.