Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

So when are we going to admit Cuomo isn't going to face any consequences for sexual misconduct, is there like a deadline date where we finally admit we were all wrong if he's still governor on that day.

I'd think we would have thrown away any hope of powerful rapists being prosecuted once both parties nominated one, but I guess we're still holding out hope?

I don't think he'll see any consequences to anything but his perceived political future. Basically, what he thought he deserved (senate, high position in another admin, presidency) and was most assuredly going to get because it was his due, even if he didn't ever have a real shot. I'd love to be wrong but he and many powerful democrats continue to get away with so much stuff.

Its possible he thinks he can survive, be vindicated (read: threaten, sleaze and buy his way out) and brute force past the allegations in another election. I have no doubt he is doing everything he can to get to every person who can corroborate what he did. Its a sad state of politics in NY and the democratic party that the investigations may find him guilty and he still runs and wins the primary.

Guy is a corrupt creep. Based on the video of him at the wedding, I doubt they have found all of the people he has victimized and I don't doubt there are more scandals buried.

lil poopendorfer posted:

I read that he's looking to serve as many terms as his dad and I think he's still polling well. Plus him stepping down kinda makes him look guilty, so I think Gov Cuomo won't be going anywhere

What a loving monster

He is not polling so well after the nursing home scandal. Versus other people in the primary and in a general versus a horrible republican? I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Applying what you say an entire forum, with hundreds of posters, "thinks" to posters in this thread about an entirely different topic is a bad argument, its stupid and it shows a serious ignorance of the issues.

Just because someone has posted in another political forum, doesn't mean they aren't contributing in this one, and it certainly doesn't mean everyone who has posted in those forums are automatically representative of what they believe.

This topic horrifies me because of the assaults, the violations. But its made worse because of the people who ostensibly declare themselves on the side of victims, but then when they think it affects their team politically, turn to opinions that might as well be cynical disinformation.

I'm not pointing out anyone. I'm just saying that that is part of the topic because there are individuals who are democrat politicians, or who merely support the democratic party, that don't seem to care as much about sexual harassment and assault when it is coming from their team.

Also, gently caress Andrew Cuomo.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
They are saying as long as rich people exist the system will be stacked for them because they have the power to influence things at many levels to make the system that way. Often they can bypass the system entirely. If we have a system based on good ideals but for some reason only rich people are capable of getting justice from it (often the results they specifically want) then how much do the ideals the system claims to uphold matter?

Its good to have ideals but at some point you have to acknowledge the process is so broken that its laughable to expect justice for certain classes (this goes both ways), races or sexes on average...

they can correct me if I am wrong.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Jarmak posted:

You're wrong, because you're making the same mistake most humans make where as soon as a probabilistic event crosses a certain threshold in their head they just round it up to 1.

I was interpreting someone else's post. I don't know how you didn't get that.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
and don't forget, allowing pleading down (even if you are innocent) actually *helps* a jammed system where people can end up in jail for years because they can't make bail and prosecutors can keep delaying the trial to "prepare" before finally admitting they don't have any evidence. Right to a speedy trial indeed.

This in no way gives prosecutors huge power to force pleas.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/09/nyregion/kalief-browder-held-at-rikers-island-for-3-years-without-trial-commits-suicide.html

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
A great example of the liberal hypocrisy is Alan Chartok (CEO of WAMC/Northeast Public Radio) who spent years doggedly hating on Andrew Cuomo (for many good reasons) but is slavishly praising of Joe Biden.

And to make that thread relevant - the whole "I don't know what's true about the sexual harassment" run around.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
That's a good point.

From experience, deans and assistant deans exist on a spectrum. The good ones, at least in this dimension, will be clued in about mental illness and sexual assault and how to recognize the signs and also deal with it, not just by covering for themselves and the school, either. They should actually help if they can. It comes from education but also experience. There are best practices to deal with it but also different approaches. What she said is a slap in the face to victims everywhere.

Her coming out publicly and saying the fact that this guy with a ton of influence and money got off on a technicality (inasmuch one exists yet might have been created for him personally) despite tons of evidence and a confession and now he can't be retried is a good thing.

And I can't reckon with how that squares with her job of dealing with students, parents, faculty and STAFF without it being a massive blind spot as you said. It's not a public relations problem, either. The most important things sexual assault survivors need is to be in control, believed and, if they want, justice. All of that was taken from them in this case.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
not politicians but doctors are well-protected, too, usually by other doctors.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/doctor-accused-groping-harassing-24-100000686.html

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
It's probably been said before but Trump's recorded "locker room talk" seems to be the lens or concept by which a lot of these guys view their actions.

Maybe not exactly how he said it or even the same justification, but analogous.

For Weinstein and Cosby, lack of consent was a fetish. They just liked different methods. Ugh.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Misadventurous clearly posted that in good faith. It's easily confirmed and there is plenty of evidence of Biden doing the same thing to other girls. Come on.

Joe Biden is personally powerful and well-liked by many people by default. He is even seen as a political savior/return to normality (whatever horror that means). There are also powerful institutions protecting and enabling him for their own benefit. Some of his protection and enabling definitely comes from him being a Missing Stair.

What if mainstream news organizations never show the clip or full video? Never report on it? Democrats already seem determined to not acknowledge the problem.

False evidence can muddy the waters, which allows Biden defenders to point to something and say that the attacks on him are all bad faith actors with edited clips. It allows them to disregard the tons of evidence of him being a creep. However, in this context, saying a particular source is a bad faith actor (which they very well might be) contributes to that defense. It further ignores that Biden defenders are also acting in bad faith here.

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 6, 2021

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I don't wish to start a derail but here is one of the huge reasons why some people don't trust the mainstream media or the liberal media. Also a reason many people are ignorant of the issue.

It's not just bias, it's outright omission when it behooves them.

It's certainly not the only reason, but it's a major one.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

This post and the attitude behind it are disgusting.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Probably Magic posted:

This isn't the media criticism thread, Fritz tried to dodge this conversation by editing their post, we've established the coverage is real, let's move on with the caveat that people who act like this didn't happen are arguing against physical evidence.

agreed.

I only speak for myself, however.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Weird how they just incompetently advised Cuomo on how to burnish his PR and discredit his victims, gosh so weird how 'poorly run' they are that they just accidentally did that

It sure seems like any time anyone creates a charity, NGO or centralized organization from a grassroots movement it's a deliberate effort to scam people or appropriate the movement into helping the powerful.

grassroots efforts can go horribly awry, too, but I can't blame people for their cynicism.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Yinlock posted:

e: That's why "Organize!" tends to ring hollow to a lot of people

I'm not trying to criticize organizing so stay with me here. Commiserating, having support and a common purpose that you are willing to fight for is good but it's fraught with difficulties. Intra-group issues can also turn people off.

I bring it up because in the case of celebrities or wealthy, their influence positions them in a hierarchical position of power within a group. So the group can easily become about them and be used as another vehicle with which to exercise their will, as mentioned. The same is true of local groups becoming personality cults or exploited by a particular individual or in-group. That's just one issue.

Even with decentralized groups and movements there are about a million problems that can arise from internal dynamics, not even getting into outside issues or pressures. It's a wonder humans can work together at all.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Yinlock posted:

Oh sorry I wasn't accusing you or anything, just elaborating on why everything seems to turn into a lovely grift

It actually takes quite a lot of work to stop humans from working together, years of manpower and trillions of dollars have been burnt to that end

I didn't think you were, I was just trying to be clear that I'm not critical of organization but people might be skeptical or critical because of their experiences with it.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Today, on a group call, director of the call says "We need to take into account intellectual boundaries. There are times and places to discuss politics. It's not appropriate do it here because it makes people uncomfortable and it frequently escalates especially because of how contentious it is with people considering any disagreement as personal criticism..." There was more but you get the point.

Then a response: "I probably shouldn't say this but I love Cuomo..."

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Referring to what I posted this morning- realize the warning could also be used to shutdown talk about inequality, union organization and salary discussion. Technically not legal to outright shut it down but the implication is there.

Josef bugman posted:

Just a pure unrestricted "I am going to shoot myself in the foot" statement delivered in defense of a monster. What on Gods green earth was this person thinking?

OwlFancier posted:

I hope they got shitcanned for it but I am not optimistic.

Yeah, they mentioned "he is done" but failed to say why, however, their tone was disappointed (not necessarily at Cuomo). They then mentioned they felt disagreement with their politics felt personally hurtful. I don't think they were deliberately trying to push the issue. I DO think they were trying to contribute their experience about how they could understand that people would be made to feel uncomfortable by political discussion but did so because...

Yinlock posted:

"Doubling the gently caress down on an indefensible position" is a proud American tradition, see Biden's approval rating despite being a proven monster for an easy example

e: People just don't like being wrong, even if they have to go against reality itself to maintain their illusion. That person probably bought into the Cuomo hype at one point and is now just loyal until death because to do otherwise would be admitting an error in judgement.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Willa Rogers posted:

These people have no shame:

Wah-wah, our gravy train has come to an end bc we're rank hypocrites, wah-wah! Also, SISTERHOOD!

Sedisp posted:

The terf strategy.

It's such nonsense politician/manager speak. No remorse, not even excuses. Everyone else has to adapt to them. How about "we hosed up real bad. We're not actually sorry, though. We don't really know how to help, we only know how to cynically use these issues to create organizations that protect our class and enrich ourselves at the expense of others."

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Violen posted:

the reality is whatever known name with whatever kind of forward-pacing personality who's been involved in whatever thing historically or currently is completely capable of having been or having done whatever awful poo poo regardless of whatever public standing they've got which should have been proven in people's minds a million times over by now. absolutely anyone can be an abuser.

sorry to bust in from lurking with a fingerwagging post at theoretical thread mishaps save one recent example that was already jumped on but this poo poo's a hairtrigger to me by now lol

People still love and support Oprah despite the fact that she has platformed and supported multiple, incredibly awful people. Evil people. Including serial sexual predators with hundreds of victims.

This is a person who is a victim of sexual violence herself.

Some of them, at least (perhaps all, considering her resources), she could have discovered by doing background research, yet she didn't even with the massive amount of resources at her disposal. Most of these people were found out (by her and everyone else) after stuff got so bad that it became impossible to hide or ignore.

It's complicated.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
"It's not my fault! I was vote the handsomest boy in Albany, NY. And we all know twitter will stop at nothing to ruin handsome, successful men!" - Andrew Cuomo

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Also, someone might be a target of surveillance or is an intelligence asset but that definitely does not make them a spy or agent. Assets might think of themselves that way but it doesn't make it so.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Clarste posted:

I'll believe it when it happens.

The usual water-muddying has already begun.

Cuomo's people are already accusing the sheriff of mishandling evidence, leaking to the press and etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
And there it is:

Sex crime charge against Andrew Cuomo 'potentially defective,' prosecutors say

https://abcnews.go.com/US/sex-crime-charge-andrew-cuomo-potentially-defective-prosecutors/story?id=81000024