Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

try the new taco place posted:

I cannot understand why folks keep referring to her allegations as credible, I am excited to read about the valid proof that I have missed in the last 2 years.

Other than:
1) We should believe women
2) She made and filed a complaint when it happened
3) Joe Biden has a long history of being a creepy sex-pest

Do tell, why do you think her allegations are not credible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Fallen Hamprince posted:

There’s no evidence that a complaint was ever filed. No record of it has ever been produced, and Reade’s account of how she made the complaint, and to where, has changed over time.

Mainstream outlets largely stopped covering the story after Politico reported that Reade appears to have committed perjury as an expert witness.

The records are sealed iirc
People's stories change over time, especially those stemming from traumatic events.
I don't care that she committed purgery as an expert witness
Again, Joe has a long history of being a sex-pest

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I'm not sure how much of this thread I'm going to be able to handle, frankly, and I expect to need to tap out sooner rather than later. This has always been the grossest part of this discussion. I've always hated the credibility attacks and character assassination. If she lied in that case, or even has a history of lying, I don't care, because liars can still be assaulted. Going after the details of the event is gross but justifiable, going after her character to say "ah hah! she's a bad person, therefore, she couldn't have been raped!" is just nightmarish to me.

Yeah exactly. Her lying about having a college degree does not mean she lied about being raped, and it's disgusting to think otherwise.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Abhorrence posted:

To be clear, you don't believe that committing perjury erodes someone's credibility?

Can you understand how someone could believe the opposite?

No, and no. Her committing perjury does not mean she wasn't raped. That's a terrible take and opens the door for any woman accusing another person of raping them to be character assassinated. So no, I don't understand how someone could believe the opposite because it's ghoulish to think that way.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Antioch University officials state categorically that she did not graduate.

Who cares? This has absolutely NOTHING to do with her accusation. Any further discussion around her character should be grounds for a probe.

Edit: I don't mean this about Tara specifically. Trying to character assassinate any woman in an attempt to discredit their accusation should be grounds for a probe. It's disgusting.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 7, 2021

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sodomy Hussein posted:

When your legal team quits when it comes out that some other lawyers are going to try to get their cases retried because you lied about your credentials to a jury, you certainly have a case of the nebulous credibility issues. That's above and beyond misremembering details of the assault, which is pretty much a given for any accusation, but especially when it's 30-40+ years ago. This is turn gave the papers ammunition to write long character assassination stories about her.

Again, I really must insist that character assassination attempts like this horseshit should be grounds for an automatic probe/ban. Her lying 30 years later has NOTHING to do with her accusation of being raped by Biden, and it’s absolutely 100% disgusting to say otherwise.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Insanite posted:

Agreed. This is absolute poo poo. Can we not do this here?

And, again, Joe Biden's first presidential campaign imploded due to plagiarism and lying. It's really loving telling when his word is gold to folks who won't even entertain Reade's.

Yeah, Tara could be a convicted murderer for all I care. Murderers can be raped just as much as anyone else. And I will go as far as to say that if anyone brings up Taras lying about her credentials they ARE being a rape apologist and should get an automatic probe or ban. That poo poo should be zero tolerance.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

indiscriminately posted:

You might not realize it but you undermine your position when you post like this, you come across like a fanatic. It does harm to the discussion generally and Tara Reade specifically.

I am more than happy to be labeled a fanatic when it comes to not tolerating character assassination attempts by bringing up poo poo that’s unrelated to her rape.

Bringing up unrelated things like that is exactly what prevents people from coming forward and it’s disgusting.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

I don't remember many Democrats saying anything about Reade either way do you have examples?

Their silence speaks volumes.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The stuff with Reade's legal team/the perjury subplot is pretty much entirely the reason the media has gone dark on Reade since about May 2020, and I doubt NYT would have published this kind of article otherwise, because that episode is providing the "meat" to the story. To be clear, this isn't good, it's just what's happened.

As far as "why believe Ford and not necessarily Reade," which is the point of this discussion, we're also skimming over the very important detail that Ford testified on TV and basically nailed it.
And it’s still disgusting to bring it up because it:
- undermines her right to be heard
- Is a character assassination attempt
- Has absolutely nothing to do with her being raped
- Isn’t relevant to the Joe Biden accusation
- Prevents others from coming forward because they fear the same thing will happen to them.

quote:

I propose that people not try to backseat mod the thread to cut out people who want to discuss the topic in more detail, share their observations, or express a different opinion. This isn't C-SPAM.

Don’t bring up other forums as a crutch to silence discussion.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Grouchio posted:

I believe that Reade was sexually harassed in the distant past but not sexually assaulted like with Ford. There would've been more credence to her larger claim had she not decided RT to be her main outlet, and had she not begun actively supporting Putin before 2020.
That is my stance.

So if a victim supports the wrong person they can’t be raped?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Whatever the case, I feel that Biden is atoning for his past actions with his policies, and that at the very least he has stopped his misdemeanors.

- Rape isn't a misdemeanor
- What policies of his shows that he is atoning for his past actions?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I voted third party because I refuse to vote for a rapist republican. It doesn't seem like a huge moral problem to me. Don't vote for rapists is an incredibly low bar to clear.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kalit posted:

This is the shaming attitude that makes me :rolleyes: You could apply this attitude with regards to nearly any action and/or product purchased in our society as well. And unless you believe that you are a perfect person that does not contribute to any harm (hint: it's not possible), having this smug of an attitude doesn't help anything.

My family member was sexually assaulted, so when people say stuff like this, it makes me feel like you are rolling your eyes at her sexual assault and that if the person who sexually assaulted her ever ran for office, I should ignore what he did. I'm sorry that "don't vote for people who have committed sexual assault" is somehow a slippery slope to you.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 9, 2021

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

As I mentioned up-thread, I know multiple people who have sexually assaulted who themselves voted for Biden in general because their calculus included other things. They had to weigh it all. Because of the way they look at politicians, there's almost nothing that could have been an uncrossable line. It's not that simple.

And I am telling you that it is for me. Being a decent human being and not sexually assaulting people is a shallow bar to cross. It's not just a line in the sand for me, and it's a gigantic wall.

Edit*

What's even shittier is the Dems forcing sexual assault victims to vote for a person who is a sex-pest, that's an INCREDIBLY lovely thing for the Dems to do.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

It can be a simple issue for you, but you should also be able to understand it it isn't for everyone, or even for most people. Attacking them underhandedly with statements like "don't vote for rapists is an incredibly low bar to clear", which implies that voting for Biden is some sort of moral failing, is how you lose your audience.

Anybody could have voted 3rd party. Nobody was forcing them to vote for Biden.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

Didn't you just say that Dems did?

You're right. I should have said:

What's even shittier is the Dems nominating a person who is a sex-pest.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I mean, I already posted about this a few pages back:

The bottom line is that everyone's moral calculus is different. For you, Reade's accusations were sufficient to not vote for Biden. For many others, including people who themselves are victims, it wasn't. If you want to treat that as a character flaw, that's your prerogative, but don't be surprised when you get pushback for it.

And I already said that it wasn't a "Reade's accusations wasn't sufficient to not vote for Biden" situation. It was a failing of the Dems to nominate Biden in the first place.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kalit posted:

I'm sincerely sorry about having a stepdaughter who was sexually assaulted. I am not rolling my eyes at anyone who is sexually assaulted or raped. Like I said upthread, the societal issue is so much bigger than voting for a rapist vs throwing your vote away [and leading to the possibility of having a worse outcome]. You don't want to vote for a rapist for president no matter what, that's fine. But inferring that everyone who voted for Biden do not actually care about rape or sexually assault is really lovely. If that wasn't your intention, I'm sorry for the mis-interpretation, but you should also leave off the end of that post I quoted.
Now who is shaming who? You are saying that my vote was worthless because I refused to vote for a rapist?

Kalit posted:

Real answer: I have no problem voting for a rapist this past November given the circumstances that existed, gently caress your shaming statement.

That's your prerogative, but don't act like you are high and mighty because you were able to ignore sexual assault allegations just because he was on your side.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Insanite posted:

If you're a Democrat who believes that voting Biden was a suboptimal but necessary thing, what are you doing to ensure that your party does not place you in such a position again?

Giving the rapist the highest political position in the nation and making them one of the most powerful people on earth seems like a good start.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kalit posted:

Fair enough, I'm sorry. I meant "vote for one of two realistic candidates, both of whom are rapists". But I'm not trying to act high and mighty nor did I mean to portray it that way. As I said, I'm sorry for using the phrasing of throwing a vote away.

But also, where did I "ignore sexual assault allegations"? I accepted it and still was able to make a decision based on the given circumstances.

By accepting them and voting for Biden I feel as if survivors of sexual assault are being ignored "for the greater good."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

What about Biden voters who themselves are survivors?

As discussed earlier, the DNC should not have put them in that position to begin with.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I get that, I'm asking in response to your statement that you feel as if voting for Biden means survivors of sexual assault are being ignored. What about survivors themselves? Were they ignoring their own experiences when voting for Biden, when they could simply have voted third party, or not voted at all?

I would say that a lot of them did, yes. Which is a pretty terrible thing for the DNC to do!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Insanite posted:

I don't think that anyone ITT is going to come at you for that.

Yeah, the DNC was really awful putting you in that situation and I am glad you are fighting against their poo poo. :sympathy:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I do want to be clear:
Simply accusing somebody of sexual assault should not be grounds for not voting for somebody. If that was the case, then accusations could and would be used as weapons all the time.

What SHOULD be done is an investigation by an independent committee into the allegations, including interviews and possibly a trial. What is infuriating is the DNC's silence on the accusations and going forth with Biden's nomination anyways without doing the above.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Also:

The fact that the DNC keeps inviting Bill Clinton to various events is also gross and shouldn't be tolerated.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

This definitely looks like a young woman who is fully comfortable with this situation and what Joe Biden is doing.

If she writes an article about being uncomfortable in 10 years some people will wonder if she's lying because she had a traffic ticket at one point.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

This definitely looks like a young woman who is fully comfortable with this situation and what Joe Biden is doing.

This picture turns my stomach. The blank stare and slight grimace from her makes me believe that this isn’t the first time she’s had to deal with this kind of thing. :gonk:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

He'll be 82 in 2024. Hopefully he has enough sense not to run again.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/politics/biden-2024-2nd-term/index.html

Headline: Why Joe Biden is already thinking about a 2nd term

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Biden will certainly run again, and if the GOP nominates Trump, or one of his empty suit acolytes, they're going to make it again a very easy choice for most people.

Yeah, the republicans will win., because surprise surprise, the Dems are already walking back on:
- Minimum wage
- college loan forgiveness
- $2000 stimulus checks

They are already ramping up to act like the Obama administration which lead to Trump, much like Carter lead to Regan and Clinton led to Bush. Centrism always disenfranchises the voters into voting for the other party.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Aruan posted:

is your shtick going around to unrelated threads to harp about stimulus checks after you got booted out of uspol? because while it was irritating in the impeachment thread, its totally ridiculous to do it in a serious thread about tara reade.

Is your shtick to ignore context in every situation? Or are you just purposefully ignoring the context in an effort to stir up poo poo? Because while it was irritating in the impeachment thread, it's totally ridiculous to do it in a serious thread about Tara Reade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Aruan posted:

this is a thread about Tara Reade, not about stimulus checks or student loan forgiveness. Do you think there is a level of progressive policy which would lead you to support Biden? and even in the context of "well I hope Biden doesn't run again," that decision doesn't have anything to do with stimulus payments or student loans; it has far more to do with "is Biden alive in four years."

Ah, OK, I got it. You are just ignoring context. You have a bone to pick with me, even though I was responding to a post about the DNC reelection chances in both threads, which you seem unwilling to acknowledge. But hey, keep telling me I don't take these allegations seriously when I have been advocating for Tara FROM THE BEGINNING of this thread, have a family member who was sexually assaulted, I refused to vote for Biden. I lambast anybody who doesn't believe her.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 18, 2021