Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The records are sealed iirc
People's stories change over time, especially those stemming from traumatic events.
I don't care that she committed purgery as an expert witness
Again, Joe has a long history of being a sex-pest

To be clear, you don't believe that committing perjury erodes someone's credibility?

Can you understand how someone could believe the opposite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Insanite posted:

What is Joe Biden's credibility given that his first presidential campaign imploded over lying and plagiarism?

e: This not a useful branch of discussion, never mind the moral implications of it--it's he said, she said between two people who've had issues with the truth in the past.

Who do you give the benefit of the doubt? If political expedience is the tie breaker here for you, I'd be straight about it.

Just to be clear here, about my own personal views I do believe Reide, but the circumstances make it unclear enough that I can understand why people would be skeptical, without being rape apologists.

Please correct me if I'm wrong,, but there is little to no corroborating evidence; I recall the politico investigative journalist who investigated it expressing her frustration over the lack of evidence. So a lot of this depends on believing in Reade, and a history of lying makes that more difficult.

Abhorrence fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 7, 2021

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

goethe.cx posted:

I'm still a little confused why right-wing media didn't do anything with the accusation. Sure, you could say that Trump's a rapist too, but hypocrisy never stopped them before.

This also mystifies me. Were I head of Fox news, and trying to smear Biden, you wouldn't be able to watch a minute of Fox without hearing Tara Reade's tale.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Trump, in an example of that famous message discipline he is so well known for, publicly implied that he doesn’t think it’s true.

What a south facing compass.

:sad:

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Cloaked posted:

• When evaluating an abuse story, is it important that the details remain consistent in discussions spread over decades? Does a victim telling someone that they were abused in one way and then later describing different, more invasive and more disturbing details to another person later imply that both stories are false? Related to that, there's a variety of research on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyewitness_memory; are you familiar with the neurological factors at play here?

For this, her story drifting over time increases the credibility, at least to me. If she told the exact same story in 2020 as she did in 1993, I would find that extremely suspicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

The idea that Trump et al. Didn't want to open pandora's box re: sexual assault allegations doesn't ring true; remember both the adage that "every republican accusation is also a confession" and that Trump got caught on camera uttering his "locker room talk" and seemed to recover from that in time to win the election. If sexual impropriety was a deal breaker, Clinton would be running for re election in 2020.

I think it's more likely that the walking peice of poo poo just didn't believe her out of hand and directed his campaign accordingly.