Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Abhorrence posted:

The idea that Trump et al. Didn't want to open pandora's box re: sexual assault allegations doesn't ring true; remember both the adage that "every republican accusation is also a confession" and that Trump got caught on camera uttering his "locker room talk" and seemed to recover from that in time to win the election. If sexual impropriety was a deal breaker, Clinton would be running for re election in 2020.

I think it's more likely that the walking peice of poo poo just didn't believe her out of hand and directed his campaign accordingly.

If sexual impropriety was a deal breaker, Clinton wouldn't have been the nominee in 2016 due to her husband's actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

silicone thrills posted:

2016 was a very different time. I was raped in 2003 and I only felt comfortable even talking to people close to me once the whole MeToo conversation got going. Everything felt like it was moving in a good direction for a minute there :(

It's really loving horrifying to hear that happened to you, and I'm glad there was a period of time where you felt a little better about talking to people about it.

We might get back there eventually, maybe?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wondering if MeToo getting dumpstered was the canary in the coal mine; now the protests in Australia and the UK being met with brutality and sneers with the so-called opposition parties making themselves invisible, with the full aid of the media, is setting the stage for further institutional violence against women and women's rights being rolled back to enable institutional abuses.

The core of the rejection of Tara Reade and by extension, MeToo, was that if someone is important enough, they're immune to consequences.

Biden winning was important, so Tara Reade didn't matter.

You see it now in the Cuomo situation, where we've had public officials openly saying that a little faking COVID death numbers is okay, a little sexual harassment is okay, you should stay in power, your abuses were hard-earned.

If a Democratic Senator likely to be replaced with a Republican (or the seat kept empty until November) were be accused tomorrow, I guarantee that you would see a lot of people jump through hoops to explain why either A) the accuser is in some way not credible, or B) listen, sure our person is a rapist, but Mitch McConnell is way worse, so we can't punish them for it.

The only question is where does the 'important enough' line get drawn, since it's been made? After all, many people would insist that the local police are more important than governors. By the Biden/Cuomo logic, that means the police get to do a little bit of terrible too. It's only fair.