Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

try the new taco place posted:

I cannot understand why folks keep referring to her allegations as credible, I am excited to read about the valid proof that I have missed in the last 2 years.

Coming from the opposite side, I've never seen any "debunkings" of her that made her sound less credible than Christine Blasey Ford imo and I believe her so I don't know why I wouldn't also believe Reade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
IIRC didn’t it later turn out through court documents that Ellison was the one who had been abused?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Malleum posted:

i havent found anything that specifically states that Ellison was abused, only that the video that instigated the claims never surfaced

you might be confusing him with lee carter, who was also accused of being an abusive partner before writing an article about how he was the one who was abused, with a copy of a protective order the court granted him
https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1126522033494474753

Here's what I was thinking of, although it's not so much definitive proof as it was him alleging physical abuse in a 2015 divorce filing

https://apnews.com/article/4d7391c3bb9f46cf8d24f0c26f69e41c

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Grouchio posted:

I believe that Reade was sexually harassed in the distant past but not sexually assaulted like with Ford. There would've been more credence to her larger claim had she not decided RT to be her main outlet, and had she not begun actively supporting Putin before 2020.
That is my stance.

I guess I don’t see how these things are connected. Could you elaborate?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

LionArcher posted:

Cool. Are you white? because if you are, and you're not more pissed at someone like Tom Brady (who is both clearly a worse human being and also a worse athlete) then your high horsing something that's at least partly fueled in racial biases. Kobe's legal team did what they were paid to do. And yes, it was lovely. And yes, he at least admitted fault and paid a fee. Was justice served? That feels like a different conversation honestly. But I will say if you look at his actions after the case, it appears that he was in fact trying to right wrongs. He championed female sports, put a spotlight on them and was doing a drat good job of being a coach. And now he's dead, so if nothing else your post is in poor taste, but this feels like a derail.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yes, I think I can meet this exacting standard of “gently caress Tom Brady”

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Probably Magic posted:

Could somebody explain this Cosby release to my pea-sized brain?

From my understanding, an earlier prosecutor had decided not to press charges in order to allow Cosby to be forced to testify in a civil trial. Without the threat of self-incrimination, Cosby wasn't able to invoke the 5th and that's when the deposition happened. Later DAs didn't feel bound by the earlier agreement and used that deposition in the trial which his lawyers successfully argued was illegal evidence.

E: ^Yeah, what they said

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
For me, the thing here is that I wouldn't mind this decision so much* if I had any faith that it would be equally applied to your average citizen caught in the wheels of justice. But, sadly, there is no doubt in my mind that only rich and powerful people like Cosby will get the benefit.

*Which is not to say that I'm happy Cosby is free by any means.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Stop insinuating and just come right out and call the victim a liar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Probably Magic posted:

The people who were demanding better sources also weren't common posters in this thread. Weird what gets called an invasion and what doesn't.

I don’t commonly post in this thread, but I do commonly read it. For whatever that’s worth