Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

John_A_Tallon posted:

We may be placing similar value on how malignant and awful the latter are. I weigh the former more harshly than most people would because I believe that cowardice allows malignancy to fester.

"All it takes for evil to triumph is that good people do nothing" but phrased a bit differently, and seems like the crux at many of the criticisms levied at the Democratic party about this subject!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

emSparkly posted:

By engaging with the exploitative TV, film, and music industries, or the all too often misogynist and pedophilic mediums of video games or anime, am I perpetuating rape culture? Everyone I've met seems to think no, but I can't stomach the idea of thinking my enjoyment of a film is more important than the life and safety of a woman who the director raped in college. I feel like by enjoying anything at all I'm just another walking insult to survivors of sexual violence. How are so many just able to go about their day finding enjoyment in things so closely related to a culture of hurting women and shaming them afterward and coming away not feeling disgusted?

To answer your last question, human beings are fairly good at compartmentalizing, for better or worse. I don't mean this as some kind of stupid gotcha, but your question could just as well apply to more or less any other field of human endeavour. This is a nearly decade-old Vox article, so not the best source available, but they had this handy chart:

Obviously we all agree that sexual harassment is awful, workplace-related or otherwise, but basically by spending money on anything you're throwing it at industries where rape culture exists. One option would be to go full Ted Kaczynski (without the bombs!) and live "off the grid", but that's not feasible for everybody. Alternatively, one could attempt some kind of moral calculus: "I must eat, therefore giving money to grocery chains I have to do even if it perpetuates hostile workplaces, but watching a Kevin Spacey movie isn't necessary for my survival", etc., but this is where that compartmentalization comes in. I personally don't really think I'm perpetuating rape culture (at least very directly) if I watch a :filez: copy of American Beauty, at least in the sense that I'm somehow keeping mister Spacey's career alive, that movie itself has some problematic themes though.

And the flip-side of this is that by disengaging from, in this case, mass media, there's no avenue left for attempting to enact change. To pick a current example, the guy who played a big bad dude in the Marvel Cinematic Universe recently and was slated to star in a bunch of movies got his career kinda poo poo-canned after his atrocious behaviour came to light, and the consuming populace at large made it clear that they no longer wanted to consume products with that dude in them. This particular case is still kinda in the air as far as I know, but you get the gist, I think.

I personally don't think capitalism can be "salvaged" via ethical consumption or whatever, and we can cynically point out that only the rapists who get caught too publicly and/or are not too "big" to dislodge (Jimmy Savile?) actually face consequences for their direct participation in sexual assault and rape culture. If you personally can't stomach watching pop media due to their corporate culture, that's your choice and I doubt anyone would fault you for it. But the answer to your question is some linear combination of powerlessness, apathy and a smattering of psychological defences.