Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

indiscriminately posted:

Yeah, strong emotion is natural and expected given the subject of the thread but the aggression is inappropriate, it sucks to read, it muddies the debate and discussion. I'm reading this thread because I want to learn about this from people who know more about it than I do and instead I'm mostly weighing whether I can trust the commentary of people I'm otherwise inclined to agree with, because they give such a poor impression of their reasoning and instincts.

If people getting emotional and combative about the subject matter makes you less inclined to believe them then this thread probably isn't for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

LionArcher posted:

I am perfectly fine to tell you or anyone who asks where that line is in terms of a bridge too Far.

How many women does Joe Biden have to rape before its a bridge too far for you?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I can't really overstate how much of an echo chamber I was in of self appointed woke liberals. I think when everyone around you is like "oh that thing? No it's not credible." You just kind of accept it, and you believe the people you love and trust. Especially people who seem to be more well read than you or work in a field that implies expertise. You make your own truth based off theirs. It's a vulnerability of trust I guess. There weren't any red flags for me, which is not good.

I missed the interview for the reasons you said.

The democratic party represents corporate and patriarchal power in a way that appeals to people who want to feel like they're doing "the right thing" in one way, conservatives do the same thing in a different way that on average is more damaging to people. They're just different flavors of pickle for different tastes, but it's still the same drat pickle. It's a machine made to kill opposition to power, which accountability for this would be. People always joke how democrats are the most efficient losers in politics, but they're not, they're doing exactly what they set out to do and they're great at it.

I want to thank you for engaging with us and sharing your point of view. It is providing a lot of good insight into potentially common thought processes that people can go through for these situations, particularly, the stuff you posted about how this has eroded your belief in the democrats.

Did you feel that way about the dems before you read through this thread or did re-evaluating your belief of Tara Reade also cause you to re-examine how you viewed the dems?

I ask you this, because I believe that a large reason why Tara's allegations were dismissed or ignored is because it goes against an established narrative that the dems are the "good guys", so to speak, and are supposed to be fighting for women's rights, and other progressive causes such as healthcare, BLM, LGBTQ rights, immigration, etc. Since dems are seemingly the only party willing to fight for these causes, then it should be obvious that the individuals that make up the party believe and adhere to these ideals. Most certainly, the leader of the party should be among the absolute best of them all.

Obviously, the reality of the dem party's actions do not reflect their stated beliefs. There is quite a bit of dissonance that has caused a few people, such as myself, to become completely disillusioned with the party. I'm willing to bet that quite a lot of dem voters, however, are willing to excuse, dismiss, and then outright ignore, anything that highlights this dissonance in order to maintain the narrative that the dems are not the republicans and are fighting for progressive values. Look at how many people are tying themselves into knots trying to explain how they believe Reade, but still excuse Biden anyway since they also believe that he's the only path towards progressive reform. How much of their justifications fall apart if the dems are unwilling to actually pass progressive bills and laws?

I think its very important to dispel this narrative since as long as it exists, then people will be willing to help provide cover and excuses for the monsters in power that prey upon the most vulnerable. These same monsters are also hurting progressive causes since they claim to be the gatekeepers behind passing said causes, but they are seemingly uninterested in actually acting up those ideals. Unfortunately, billions and billions are spent on a media apparatus that is designed to protect and enforce this narrative. Its unlikely that this will ever succeed, but I still want to try because doing anything else feels worse to me.

This post ended up being much longer than I intended so I do want to make it clear that its not directed totally at Harvey but instead more general musings.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

That's what fucks me up about the "where do we go from here?" question. I tried and people like me tried to stop Biden from being the nominee. All that effort seemingly didn't move the needle at all. I couldn't even convince a small handful of my friends to change anything about their beliefs. I feel completely powerless watching rapists control the government and I have no idea what to do about it. I can lash out and get angry and feel a bit of relief there, but it doesn't actually change anything. How can anyone make these people be responsible for their actions? I have no hope for the future.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

this is loving gross

why the gently caress do you feel compelled to post this kinda poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

I really hope there are consequences for Cuomo, but my hope has been completely destroyed time and time again so its difficult to feel any catharsis over the recent news