Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Abhorrence posted:

To be clear, you don't believe that committing perjury erodes someone's credibility?

Can you understand how someone could believe the opposite?

perjury requires an intent to deceive and the college she went to for her law degree requires all students to have a degree before enrollment

ive never actually seen any evidence that somehow proves, one way or the other, that she definitely did or did not graduate before going to law school, ignoring how completely inconsequential that is regardless, so if you have any you should post it itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord

Insanite posted:

What is Joe Biden's credibility given that his first presidential campaign imploded over lying and plagiarism?

e: This not a useful branch of discussion, never mind the moral implications of it--it's he said, she said between two people who've had issues with the truth in the past.

Who do you give the benefit of the doubt? If political expedience is the tie breaker here for you, I'd be straight about it.

to restate my point in a way that may be clearer, i dont think tara reade perjured herself because she did not intend to somehow cover up her lack of a pre-grad degree when she already had a post-grad degree, and saying that she committed perjury is incorrect

i think that, in the grand scheme of things, the whole focus on her college admission as proof that she lied and therefore proves that shes a lying liar who can't be trusted is both incredibly gross and false, because there is no (or i have simply not seen any) proof that she knew that she did not have a pre-grad degree but told the court so anyway in some kind of plot to defraud attorneys rather than simply assume she had a degree because she went to a college for 4 years and then got into a second college that required a degree from the first for admission

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Antioch University officials state categorically that she did not graduate.

but in the same article seattle said that all students needed a degree to enroll

quote:

In a follow-up question about whether students in that program can be admitted without a bachelor’s degree, a spokesman pointed to current requirements, which require an undergraduate degree.

“Our current admission requirements are publicly posted on the Seattle University School of Law website, which apply to all admitted students,” David Sandler said. “As in the past, they are consistent with American Bar Association standards for law schools. Federal privacy regulations prevent us from sharing additional information about the educational records of former students.”

so there is no actual proof that she did not have the degree, only that no records existed of her liberal arts degree at antioch and that any definitive proof one way or the other from seattle would violate federal privacy laws.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

If you believe that Biden raped Reade, what would it take for you to change your belief? Are you even open to changing it?

if there was proof that tara reade had made similar claims of rape or sexual harassment from other men or women previously that were proven false, it would shake my belief of her story's credibility

i'm definitely open to the possibility that i'm wrong, but it would have to be something more than "there is some murkiness relating to a liberal arts degree decades ago"

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord

christmas boots posted:

IIRC didn’t it later turn out through court documents that Ellison was the one who had been abused?

i havent found anything that specifically states that Ellison was abused, only that the video that instigated the claims never surfaced

you might be confusing him with lee carter, who was also accused of being an abusive partner before writing an article about how he was the one who was abused, with a copy of a protective order the court granted him
https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1126522033494474753

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord

goethe.cx posted:

I'm still a little confused why right-wing media didn't do anything with the accusation. Sure, you could say that Trump's a rapist too, but hypocrisy never stopped them before.

because they probably (correctly) assessed that dems wouldn't give a poo poo, because he's their guy, and neither would republicans, because he was already a commie usurper here to destroy mom and apple pie

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord
"perjury" is not "stating incorrect information under oath" and this stupid conflation of the two is not done in good faith because "perjury" sounds scary and bad

tara reade did not lie about a liberal arts degree when she had a law degree, and there is no reason to believe that having a liberal arts degree is in any way relevant to the cases she was involved in anyway, or her statements before or since

its a blatant smear job and if you can't smell it a mile away the problem isn't with tara reade

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord

Aruan posted:

i think trying to parse individual culpability in your voting decision isn't particularly fruitful in this thread, because what you're really saying is 'how do you live ethically in the late capitalism of 2021 where every single one of your actions contributes to brutality to a lesser or greater extent because of interlinked externalities and the base horror of day to day life', and there's really no way to have a "right" answer to such an individualized question, and it can quickly turn into a game of 'oh well do you drink coca cola?! coke uses your $1 to pay for guards for their slave factories in south america'. its also why previous discussions of this topic went off the rails.

rationalizing your complicity is something you have to do yourself, absolutely, but if you're going to post in public "i think we can forgive a little rape because i believe biden's going to do some things that make me feel good sometime in the future" its a lot loving different

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord

Aruan posted:

this thread is ostensibly supposed to about wider ranging conversations, but instead its people arguing back and forth about details of court cases.

:thunk:

for a more serious response, this is exactly the point of this thread. there should absolutely be wider ranging considerations about sexual violence in the halls of power, about donors like ed buck murdering people for his sexual gratification and being a known fact for years before anyone cared enough to do something about it, about staffers having dedicated breakdown rooms for when the harassment from senators and house members gets to be too much. but there isn't, because a certain segment of the posting population can't help but ceaselessly nitpick away irrelevant details because the most important thing to them is that they can continue to believe that joe biden is not a rapist. "how do elected politicians feel about tara reade" is information that flows directly from the question "how does the electorate feel about tara reade" and we can see the general sentiment on display right here, in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord
you cannot discuss tara reade in a vacuum because you can't discuss biden in a vacuum and you can't discuss the election in a vacuum and...

vote shaming is stupid because voting is the least impactful thing anyone can do, and the inverse is also true: getting mad at vote shaming is stupid because its an admission that you are too deeply invested in an entirely aesthetic choice