Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Kalit posted:

Oh yea, of course I understand the concept of that approach. But the last part of DoomTrainPhD's post could have easily been left off, instead of having the unsaid part of it saying to other people "it's such a low bar, why don't you do it unless you support rape :smug:"

I'm sincerely sorry about having a stepdaughter who was sexually assaulted. I am not rolling my eyes at anyone who is sexually assaulted or raped. Like I said upthread, the societal issue is so much bigger than voting for a rapist vs throwing your vote away [and leading to the possibility of having a worse outcome]. You don't want to vote for a rapist for president no matter what, that's fine. But inferring that everyone who voted for Biden do not actually care about rape or sexually assault is really lovely. If that wasn't your intention, I'm sorry for the mis-interpretation, but you should also leave off the end of that post I quoted.

Do you drink LaCroix? If so, why do you love sexual harassers? Do you ever eat at McDonald's? If so, why do you love racial discrimination? Do you buy Coca-Cola products? If so, why do you support death squads in Columbia and stealing water rights from poor people. Do you eat animal products? If so, why do you love murder? Do you drive a car? If so, why do you hate the environment? :smug:

Real answer: I have no problem voting for a rapist this past November given the circumstances that existed, gently caress your shaming statement.

So, I've come to the conclusion that Biden should resign. Now, hear me out, this isn't flippant. Biden's well documented history of fondling, sniffing, commenting on, and invading the personal space of others fits the definition of sexual harassment. A person who displayed the same behavior in a professional setting would be fired, there is no reason that the President should be exempt from the same standards.

After Sanders dropped out, the drum beat from Biden supporters was "well, I don't like him either, but he's better than Trump." We have to elect Biden because Trump is Hitler and Mussolini rolled into one, it's our last chance to defeat fascism, and darn it, I don't like Joe either, but he's all we've got. It's him or Trump.

Well, Trump is gone. He's defeated, he's out of office, we've averted Fascism. Joe has done his job and now needs to go.

This will never happen though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Willa Rogers posted:

I agree--but if Biden resigned, we'd then get a president who sanctioned-by-silence the priest-rape of minors.

Are you lesser of two eviling me about getting rid of Biden? That's how we got here in the first place.

It illustrates my fear that by ignoring Biden's acts so that Trump could be put out of office, the electorate and the Democratic Party have set a bad precedent going forwards. I don't know how people don't become removed or apathetic about national politics when these are the people who are put in the highest positions.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

As I said before, Trump was defeated. Now Biden has to go.

What is the moral imperative for not calling for his resignation?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

generic one posted:

Realistically, totally agreed. The poster I replied to seems to think there’s an immediate and necessary solution, so I provided them with a way of expressing their displeasure, regardless of how futile that attempt may be.

I'm tired of everyone excusing Biden by stating that they had to vote for him. Fine, that's over and done with, you don't get that excuse anymore. Going forward, all you're doing is supporting someone you have acknowledged is a rapist.

Willa Rogers posted:

Biden's not gonna be impeached for sexually assaulting Tara Reade 30 years ago.

IDK, if the Republicans gain the House in 2022, I'd lay even odds they will.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Unfortunately I think that we're 2 presidential elections away before we can get away from anyone tainted by their complicity in either assaulting Tara Reade or covering it up. Either Biden or Harris will run in 2024 and the Party is going to put it's weight behind one of those to candidates.

2028 is the next opportunity to pick a candidate that doesn't have a credible allegation of sexual assault against them.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

This kind of buy-in to the contrived games empowers the sociopaths and predators. If you do not truly believe this is inevitable, avoid fatalistic phrasing. These events are years away and can be opposed.

I'm not and have not voted for Biden or Harris, i was voicing my opinion on how the next teo elections will play out.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Most people in the US don't know about Tara Reade because the MSM buried the story and the coverage she did get was meant to discredit her. That's why I posted earlier that 2028 is the earliest we can expect to have the Democratic Party field a candidate who isn't Biden or Harris.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

To those asking how to remove Biden, the mechanism for removing a sitting president is to impeach them and convict them in the Senate.

The verdict on presidential impeachment trails for Clinton and Trump broke down on party lines and I do not see that changing in the future. I do believe that if the Republicans gain control of the House in 22 you will see Biden impeached, though not convicted unless they also have the Senate.

This will be done for purely political reasons, but would be an example of the right thing being done for the wrong reasons.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Sure, yes. I don't have anything to add is what I'm saying.

Then quit posting.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

So I came across this in my Twitter feed and it seems very very bizarre.

The tweet author is a staff writer for The Atlantic.

https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1374367075863556101

There's a bit more in the tweet chain, but... what the hell? Any chance she might be forced to say these things? Should we be worried about Reade's safety or anything?

What bearing does this have on Joe Biden sexually assaulting her?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Lester Shy posted:

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouseGPC/status/1377618583354753028

This would be comical if it weren't so depressing.

Check the date.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

silicone thrills posted:

I think a huge part of American culture is violence and people want to "do something" and violence is the only action they know how to take., especially since the law isn't useful when it comes to this subject AND people have watched way too much loving TV. It's engrained in our entire society from how we handle any foreign actions to how many parents think its acceptable to punish their children. People are built to want to DO SOMETHING but a ton of people never learned that sometimes sitting still and letting something play out is doing something.

My husband is great about this because when it comes to me dealing with my trauma and my family and how those things intertwine his literal only stance amounts to "my hope is youll find ways to deal with this that keep you from pain and ill take your lead" and its been pretty wonderful.

But also sadly when it comes to say: rape : a ton of people won't believe you if you didn't violently fight back because our culture is so loving poisoned. So its like "oh did you fight off your assaulter? no i'll fight them for you then!!!!"

That's not an American thing that's a human thing. I don't know where you're going to find a society where the reaction isn't going to be I'm going to hurt the person who hurt my loved one.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

ram dass in hell posted:

Cool 2 sentence dismissive reply!

You could respond with compassion or understanding or in any of the ways other posters have gone out of their way to explain above. How on Earth do you not see that "RAWWWRR HERE COMES MORE MALE VIOLENCE" is absolutely not appropriate? It's not a human thing, it's specifically an idiot thing, an inability or unwillingness to understand and empathize with the human being in front of you.

For context I recently told one of my parents about a situation with a landlord who tried to blackmail me into sex for my security deposit to be returned and they told me I should have just put another lock on the door. I'm probably never going to be able to talk to them the same way as long as a live, as a result.

I was disagreeing with the OP's statement that it was specifically American thing. I did not advocate for violence, I stated a violent reaction is universal across cultures and nothing specific to modern America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Digging up the political opinions of a rape victim should probably be prohibited in D&D.

Seriously. Pointing out the hypocrisy on constantly calling Bret Kavanaugh a rapist while giving Joe Biden a pass shouldn't be met with "yeah, but did you know that Tara Reade supports Putin? Just asking..."

It's on the same level as "yeah, but did you see what she was wearing?"