Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Antioch University officials state categorically that she did not graduate.

Yup, she was no angel. We shouldn't give this woman of ill repute any more attention or time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Abhorrence posted:

Just to be clear here, about my own personal views I do believe Reide, but the circumstances make it unclear enough that I can understand why people would be skeptical, without being rape apologists.

Please correct me if I'm wrong,, but there is little to no corroborating evidence; I recall the politico investigative journalist who investigated it expressing her frustration over the lack of evidence. So a lot of this depends on believing in Reide, and a history of lying makes that more difficult.

If you want to be generous, yeah you can not believe Tara Reid without being an actual rape apologist. You are just functionally making rape apology easier by undercutting the MeToo movement. I'm not sure if that's any better.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Do you have any links? I’ve never seen any corroboration from fellow staffers.

One issue with relying on corroboration from friends is that in some cases, the stories have changed:

The way memory and trauma work together, especially over decades is well understood to be murky and fluid. We went over this whole thing with the Blassie Ford testimony. Were you willing to over look inconsistencies in Ford's telling of events? If so, why are you unwilling to do the same for Reid?

Personally when I look at the timeline of who she told and what, it strikes me as a woman struggling to determine who she is comfortable telling and what she's comfortable sharing at a particular time. It's not that difficult to see the plausibility in her story.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I want to ask the following:

If you believe that Biden raped Reade, what would it take for you to change your belief? Are you even open to changing it?

If you don't believe that Biden raped Reade, what would it take for you to change your belief? Are you even open to changing it?

I believe Reade, there'd probably have to be some big reveal that she was never actually working for Biden or there was some secret recording of her explaining her decades long plan to someday, in the future, falsely accuse Biden of rape to ruin his political career and that she was laying the ground work in the 90s of telling various people bits and pieces of the story to make it more believable.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Again, it’s not only that Reade’s memory regarding the assault itself changed. It’s that other people’s memory of what Reade told her appears to change also.

Memory is a fluid changing thing. There are multiple people who at least say they recall Reade telling them about an event in the 90s and combined with the Larry king call should be pretty loving damning. Would you be bending over backwards this much to brush it away if the accusee were someone like Mitch McConnell?

Hell Biden is even creepier than McConnel and publicly demonstrates a lack of personal boundaries particularly with women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Fallen Hamprince posted:

If your neighbour called you up and described a conversation that you had two decades ago and had forgotten. do you think you could reliably say whether or not that conversation had actually happened?

Potentially, especially for something like a sexual harassment from their boss.

Other people have asked, but what do you make of Reade's mother's phone call into Larry King's show?

Edit:

Fallen Hamprince posted:

The phone call to Larry King does not mention any instance of sexual assault or harassment, by Biden or anyone else. The earliest recorded mention of anything like that is in the court documents relating to her ex husband, but these again do not mention Biden specifically.

Ok, you're just being willfully obtuse then, gotcha