Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I don't care that she committed purgery as an expert witness

I'm not sure how much of this thread I'm going to be able to handle, frankly, and I expect to need to tap out sooner rather than later. This has always been the grossest part of this discussion. I've always hated the credibility attacks and character assassination. If she lied in that case, or even has a history of lying, I don't care, because liars can still be assaulted. Going after the details of the event is gross but justifiable, going after her character to say "ah hah! she's a bad person, therefore, she couldn't have been raped!" is just nightmarish to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Lemming posted:

The biggest thing is how stark the contrast has been between her treatment and the treatment of Ford. I haven't run into anybody who supports Democrats who has accused her of lying about Kavanaugh or even less flagrantly just said they're unsure about her, but people are willing to try to find any reason to discredit Reid. It's pretty hard to look at those two cases and treat them completely differently just based on the facts, you pretty much only can if there's an extra motivation behind it with regards to how one of them is accusing a Republican and one is accusing a Democrat.

Right; the target is the only thing that makes people go to such lengths to discredit Reade while accepting Ford completely at the time of her accusation.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

did Reade ever press charges so there could be a full real investigation

come on

come onnnnnnnnnnn

We can not be having this discussion in 2021.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I think the "you supported a rapist" attack is rough and I'm tired of litigating that particular point post-election. I didn't vote for Biden but I know sexual assault survivors who did, and they hated it but were firmly enough in the camp of lesser evilism that they felt they had no choice. I don't feel like handing out judgement on it. It sucks, it's a bad situation, and the guy simply never should have been nominated because it should have been disqualifying.

But yeah, where do we go from here? It wasn't disqualifying, we were put in a situation where we chose between a rapist, a rapist, and nobodies without a chance, and we now have arguments over whether the rapist was really a rapist because admitting it to ourselves is harder than dealing with the fallout of the death of principles. I don't know how to recover from it.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

DoomTrainPhD posted:

My family member was sexually assaulted, so when people say stuff like this it makes me feel like you are rolling your eyes at her being sexually assaulted. I'm sorry that "don't vote for people who have committed sexual assault" is somehow a slippery slope to you.

As I mentioned upthread, I know multiple people who were sexually assaulted who themselves voted for Biden in the general because their calculus included other things, they had to weigh it all, and because of the way they look at politicians there's almost nothing that could have been an uncrossable line. It's not that simple.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 9, 2021