Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

silicone thrills posted:

Mostly how I felt towards the whole of D&D during that time. I felt like the entirety of D&D was laughing and making GBS threads on sexual violence victims and given I came from being a D&D poster not long before that, it made me fairly bitter towards the whole subforum and it made me lose alot of faith in politics in general. It kicked me into depression pretty hard which is like. yeah I know im broke brained for spending so much time on a forum but that's just me. I had really bad clinical depression and had it treated and am much better now.

I really don't think folks get how personal it is to watch someone like Reade get thrown under the bus. There was a whole period where people were like "I dont believe her because she doesn't remember what day it was! Or if it was on the stairs or an alcove" and for me that was personal - I had blocked out most of my sexual assault. I literally had to google the event I was at to remember what the month and week was of it.

Yeah some really unambiguously lovely stuff was posted about reade back in, uh first half of 2020? Personally I refused to even read any of the threads that were doing reade chat cuz it seemed entirely gross to me to be doing the 'lets scrutinize everything about the accuser' poo poo and my mental well-being does not need me reading a bunch of that poo poo. I couldn't even start reading the GE thread until substantially after people ate the week and month probes over it (and I wasn't made an Ik until a couple months after that).

Sure some people are assholes and will 'weaponize' everything or whatever, but my general feeling is that that accusation is very often is used as a tool to dismiss criticism and that there is very valid criticism that should be directed towards how dnd handled the reade stuff early on in here. I generally find that most people in dnd (or sa in general) complaining about stuff are doing it from a very earnest place if anything. What I saw of the reade stuff I felt was categorically inappropriate and I'm sorry you were one of the people hurt by how it was treated in dnd. I'm sorry to anyone else who had a similar reaction. It seemed completely loving inevitable that a thread skeptically digging into reade's past was going to be a toxic dumpster fire that was going to hurt a bunch of people who knew what it was like to have their experiences doubted.

One of my sincere hopes is that in the current state of dnd a thread would never be allowed to be nearly as lovely as the early reade threads were. Maybe I'm dumbly optimistic, but as one of the 8 people IKd in the aftermath of that, that whole thing was part of the reason why I was willing to even do thankless ik janitor poo poo. I can't speak for others, but I believe that is true of the other recent IKs.

(apologies if any of this is poorly put, i'm not fully caught up on this thread and it's not a subject i'm really able to step back from and be objective about, either)

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like, the Republicans made sure to appear to be respectful towards Kavanaugh's accuser and downplay her because they knew it'd make them look bad to be going after her, while the Democrats and their affiliated media went for a full and total monstering of Tara Reade. And it came fresh off the latest attempts to smear Bernie Sanders by having a 'body language expert' declare him to be an obvious sexual predator based on basically phrenology.

It all ties in with a deeply unpleasant turn of the liberal sphere into aggressive Pleasantville level denial of reality and aggressively attacking anyone who dares threaten their perfect world by bringing up actual problems and issues. (actually kinda funny with WandaVision coming out about now)

idk what republicans you're referring to, Christine Blasey Ford had to move out of her house from the stream of death threats and other harassment she was getting.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 9, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Majorian posted:

It is a super-important question, but I think you phrased it better here yourself. Let's do our best not to sound accusatory of one another in this thread, as much as we can help it, and that goes for everyone, on all sides of this discussion. The discussion will go better that way, guaranteed.

I think GL was referring to the Senate Republicans who questioned her during the Kav hearings.

Those would be the senate republicans who blocked the fbi from doing an even basic investigation into her accusations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
If I had to guess, it's because the US still has very strict taboos against sexual misconduct (and even just sexual conduct, for that matter), while the taboos against violence in the us are quite weak. Similarly american culture generally glorifies violence and especially so when it's in the context of some violent conquest or other nationalistic duty

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

Definitely going to be interesting to see how the democratic establishment reactions to Cuomo.

I don't think he's actually all that popular, but idk I could be wrong

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

There was a whole contingent of morons branding themselves cuomosexuals back in March

Yeah, that was back in march, where the thing he had going in his favor was that he was necessarily being compared to trump. Which would make a bucket of dried paint look competent.

He's not rahm levels of personally unpopular, but he's the de facto head of the ny political machine and while that might translate to a ton of political power in ny or even new england, he's made *a lot* of enemies and very few friends at a national level.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I'm sure there are people who benefit a lot from cuomo being in power and inseparable from the status quo, but machine politics infamously produces just absolute mountains of enemies and it keeps people in power, not through popularity, but by ensuring that no one popular or good at organizing ends up in a position to meaningfully challenge the seat... Which I'd posit is how he manages to be personally so reviled but also firmly entrenched in power.

That little period where he was doing the covid briefings was the one time he seemed to maybe meaningfully touch national relevance and it's notable just how quickly that ascent stopped and even reversed course.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 2, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

I think the watching how the Cuomo poo poo plays out is pretty relevant when we talk about "how do we move forward" and how politicians who clearly dont respect peoples boundaries in general are treated in the future.

I feel like if the dems dont shove Cuomo out the door they clearly learned nothing and will never be able to be trusted as a party

tbh I haven't been able to find a single prominent dem defending cuomo, even tepidly. Granted I also suspect that's because there's also some suggestions that more will come out and/or this stuff was floating around for a while.

That pic of him with both hands on a woman's face is also just indefensible and plainly inappropriate

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
At least one or two of the accusers somewhere between alluded to and outright said that there were more people who hadn't been able to speak up yet, so yeah probably will still be more people coming forward.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I think it's going to take out of state pressure to get him to resign, frankly.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

One of the things that's really bothered me is when people say "well it was Biden vs Trump" No. It was Biden vs 20 something other democrats in the primary. Every primary voter who bubbled in for Biden directly voted to put a rapist into power. There were much better people to chose to put forward and they chose a rapist.

Every single person who voted for Biden in the primary is a disgusting person.

in the interest of this thread not sucking and turning into huge stupid slapfights, don't generalize like this please

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Has there been any kind of concerted push to defend cuomo? I've seen virtually nothing outside of a couple city level people, but I'm not super keyed into NY state politics?

Last I saw the push from most ny dems was to have him investigated and that was before a current aide accused him, too.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

They don't have to defend him. No one defended Northram either after his blackface or klan outfit incident. All they have to do is slow roll anything and do absolutely nothing until it falls out of the American view. .

Wasn't that situation made weird by virginia's gubernatorial succession rules plus northam somehow remained relatively popular? I'm not confident cuomo will be removed, but I'm not confident either that the situations are particularly comparable

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
it's northam, btw

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

reignonyourparade posted:

They're a part of the process of NOT removing a politician from office.

Unless someone is resigning (which doesn't seem to be something cuomo is ever going to consider doing), actually doing a serious investigation is absolutely how you move forward with getting rid of someone. Hell, just doing the basic background stuff of 'are there huge obvious contradictions?' 'was this person physically where they say they were?' 'can we place cuomo there?' doesn't even take that long compared to doing a full prosecutorial investigation.

idk what will happen or if they'll remove cuomo, but the idea that he'd be forcibly removed without even a basic investigation seems off base

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Please keep this thread on track to things like Tara Reade, the Cuomo accusations, the general state of the metoo movement, or even Gaetz's sex trafficking allegations or whatever else comes up

Please do not do deep dives into what random twitter losers think. Please have your discussions about what twitter idiots think on twitter.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
on a non IK note, I'm skeptical that there's anything particularly about liberals or whatever that is leading to people choosing to vote for someone accused of rape when literally both sides just had the highest turn out in american history while each running candidates accused of rape.

Which is hella depressing to think about. I'm gonna go walk around in the woods with my dog.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Please resist the urge to shitpost in this thread^

btw re the Carroll stuff, apparently it was doj acting on their own without contacting the whitehouse?

https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1402092302571540483

idk if the linked politico article has been updated accordingly yet, I think they just shoehorned in a single paragraph and left the rest of the article untouched :rolleyes:

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 8, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Reiterating:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Please resist the urge to shitpost in this thread^

Moreover, this is 1000% not the thread to litigate whatever stupid cross forum grudges you currently are nursing. Either post about the topic earnestly or go post somewhere else.

reignonyourparade posted:

The actual expectation is "meet effort with effort" though. Not "meet literally any disagreement with effort" and definitely not "all effort all the time." There was a time when all effort all the time WAS the rule in D&D and it loving sucked and was changed for good reason.

(Also posting sardonically is not shitposting.)

This thread in particular absolutely has an expectation that people must try to post better than they normally would because the issue is so personal to most people.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 9, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Dnd has literally no rules about what you can or can't talk about as long as you're following the general rules of 'put in effort' 'don't be an rear end in a top hat' and 'if you can't engage in good faith, don't engage' and the like.

Obviously that doesn't include hate speech or anything actually illegal etc., but I'm hoping that goes without saying.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Presumably the solution is to actually protect defendants who aren't cosby rich rather than throwing out the rules protecting the rights of defendants

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Nobody is saying throw out the rules protecting the rights of all defendants

I am unaware of a way to limit them to just non-rich defendants, and indeed even if there was a way, that still doesn't remotely address the greater structural issues with the legal system that would just lead to cosby's lawyers to eventually find something else to get him out of jail on given his effectively infinite legal budget.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

No one is saying this either

You have lost me vs

thehandtruck posted:

Ok I'll play.

We should ignore prosecutorial misconduct in this case because Prosecutorial Misconduct, Ineffective Assistance of Counsel, Brady Violations, Cumulative Error, Your Legal Rights, and the ten thousand other legal mechanisms are not real. They don't exist until the rich need a loophole to get out of jail and continue raping or killing people. There is no reason they should be respected or protected like you've alluded to. Every one of these mechanisms and "rights" (lol) only seem make themselves known when the rich people are in the room.

And in my opinion any "success" you've seen with something relating to procedure or rights (lol) is theatre/propaganda to keep people juuuuuuuuuuuust bought in enough to salute the noble justice system and keep it operating.

edit: Like jfc if you don't look at the mechanism of Prosecutorial Discretion and realize the whole system's made up I don't know what to tell you

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah what that guy said (which was after my comment anyway) is not the same as what you're accusing people of saying

He's saying the system is a sham and the rights don't exist now, they're just alluded to whenever cops or wealthy men face no consequences for crimes. Do you really think that guy is saying the perfect justice system would have no rights for anyone and would just idk railroad everyone. Is that really what you think people believe?

People are responding to this comment,

Ytlaya posted:

IMO reasoning like "better to let 10 guilty men free than one innocent to jail" shouldn't apply to people with significant wealth and/or power. It's a reasoning (correctly) meant to protect those without power from powerful people/institutions, so it doesn't really make sense to apply it to the wealthy/powerful.

which is absolutely referring to due process rights afforded to defendants, which are, as ytlaya correctly notes, specifically intended to protect the powerless (probably even earnestly, since we both know how unlikely it is that the rich or powerful even end up in court rooms at all). Even with a deeply cynical view of the american legal system many, many cases are thrown out on grounds of police or prosecutorial misconduct and there's no constitutional way as far as any one posting here is aware to limit a right to specifically the poor or powerless or marginalized. Which sucks, as does nearly everything involving the american legal system.

defending the rights of defendants has nothing to do whatsoever with justifying the release of cosby

E: also while I do not claim to know the solution, I suspect that going after the ways prosecutors are allowed to make deals and the manner in which those deals are approved and are specifically binding is the way you prevent poo poo like the cosby or epstein deals.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 7, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

I wasn't referring to your post.

Seems unlikely, what consequences did the DA who made the "deal" face?

If they put that DA in jail for making an illegal guarantee then I'd agree we're "going after the way prosecutors are allowed to make deals and the manner in which those deals are approved", but since we aren't where's the consequences?

Is the DA who lead the impeachment defense for credibly accused rapist Donald Trump really going to be sad that another rich dude got away with rape? Because I can look for the quote but I'm pretty sure he came out and said how happy he is with the supreme court's ruling. What stops the next DA from making an illegal friendly deal with the next Epstein? What, the next Epstein goes free too which is probably what the DA wanted all along anyway?

Idk what you're responding to but it doesn't appear to be anything I wrote?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

The right-wing media thread discussed it, but Fox is exuberant over the ruling and hailing it as a victory for men everywhere and a defeat for feminism and #MeToo

It's interesting the difference between how happy they are about this versus how mad they were when OJ got away with murder in the 90s.

I guess wealthy black men being able to buy the courts like wealthy white men have forever was a new and threatening thing in the 90s but now they're used to it. Or maybe they feel less threatened by the prospect of rich guys being tried for murder than for sexual assault because most of them probably don't have bodies in their basement.

For a certain section of society it is supremely important that rich guys always be able to escape consequences. Because if they can't, then a whole bunch of old criminal rich guys can't just do anything that they want and might actually face consequences some day, which gets treated as a worse thing than any offences they actually committed. You see this play out with how the reaction to even the suggestion that there should be consequences gets met with more outrage often than someone actually facing consequences.

Also the oj trial hit a whole different racial dynamic cuz his wife was white and feelings wrt OJ's guilt were fairly split along racial lines

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Staluigi posted:

[be a corporate executive at activision blizzard]

[have data on 1,971 sexual harassment or abuse events within the company that we have documented]

[see reports and lawsuits come in about 1,926 sexual harassment or abuse events at the company]

excellent, i can angrily write that this is a distorted account

unironically that appears to be precisely what happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
gently caress the cuomos, good riddance and it's nice to see both of them get shitcanned in the same year.