Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

This is a thread for discussing the allegations made by Tara Reade against the current President of the United States, Joe Biden. As this subject has been roped off in the megathread, I figured it could use a new home in the form of this thread right here. I don't think I need to point out that this not is a place to punish your posting enemies, but if you feel like you have to engage on that crusade instead of the topic, well, consider yourself warned.

In addition, this thread comes with a very large and prominent Content Warning as the material being discussed is equal parts disturbing and awful. Words about sexual assault, gaslighting, and false witness will be present here.

Personally, I find it utterly garish, if not ghoulish that the media decided to completely can and unperson her so thoroughly and I feel it's a complete failure and a damning indictment of journalism in this country, let alone in general.

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Abhorrence posted:

To be clear, you don't believe that committing perjury erodes someone's credibility?

Can you understand how someone could believe the opposite?

I do believe that one's trauma can lead one to commit perjury, as when one believes the events so greatly, they can believe it to be true. It doesn't make her any less credible and speaks more to the monstrosity of a coverup at work.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Malleum posted:

i think that, in the grand scheme of things, the whole focus on her college admission as proof that she lied and therefore proves that shes a lying liar who can't be trusted is both incredibly gross and false, because there is no (or i have simply not seen any) proof that she knew that she did not have a pre-grad degree but told the court so anyway in some kind of plot to defraud attorneys rather than simply assume she had a degree because she went to a college for 4 years and then got into a second college that required a degree from the first for admission

It's a very strange double standard in which one woman is punished for accreditation and another, Dr. Jill Biden, is praised and held up high with the other side of this argument.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Fallen Hamprince posted:

In that video, Reade’s mother states that Reade had had “problems” while working at Biden’s office, but didn’t want to speak out for fear of harming Biden’s reputation. It’s not particularly consistent with the 2020 allegations. Reade’s former coworker, when interviewed, told reporters that Reade had had difficulties with her work as a staffer.

Reade’s account of the assault does not match up with the geography of the capital building.

This is an old argument that came up in the Epstein thread, but one's inability to remember specifics about the location of their assault does not make them less credible. If your argument is that, "The Capitol is distinct in its make," you better be ready to back that up with the distinctions lacking in her statements.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Aruan posted:

this is such a weird false equivalency that reads like you desperately trying to insulting jill biden for... reasons? the only time that anyone 'praises' jill biden is to point out that, yes, its gross to scold her for using the professional title of a degree she earned (even if its tacky for her to use it), and it is somewhat notable that she is continuing to work while serving as first lady. regardless, it has nothing to do with this topic, and this is a gross post.

It's definitely more of a trend on Twitter more than anything, and on second reading, I agree, this is not the best equivalency to make. I'll refrain from that in the future.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Aruan posted:

independent of that, someone needs to add a content warning to the OP.

Done.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

2016 was a very different time. I was raped in 2003 and I only felt comfortable even talking to people close to me once the whole MeToo conversation got going. Everything felt like it was moving in a good direction for a minute there :( Like my grandma and my aunts - we all talked about things that had happened to us through out our lives and it was a really good moment.

Talking about it before was treated as very uncouth and always presented as your own fault. Things that Bill Clinton probably did and then the things Hillary did to shut down rape victims was all par for the course.

It took me a very long time to process, let alone talk about the times I've been sexually assaulted. It's extremely uncomfortable at best and downright traumatic at worst. I hope you're doing better, as even time doesn't exactly take the edge off of being so victimized.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Like it or not, Tara Reade's treatment in the media, and everyone who unflinchingly swallowed and repeated the smears, have directly contributed to rape culture's perpetuation in this country. And people are right to be angry about that.

And not only to perpetuate a broken and rightfully maligned system out of any sincere belief or tautology, but instead, simply because they were the marching orders given. No spine and no resolve to stand up against something that, on its face, is repugnant in every sense of the word. One can argue against the necessity of promulgating the status quo in that they have livelihoods to protect, but if this is your livelihood, this is what you find acceptable to keep hearth and home, the point crumbles and falls apart as you show yourself willing to repeat anything and everything that may stand in the way of your survival.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Yinlock posted:

I wouldn't have much faith in an investigation since rich people facing actual consequences under capitalism is insanely rare unless they pissed off someone richer, but I agree that one needs to happen nonetheless

Makes me think of a certain DuPont heir that was left off the hook related to a certain someone currently in office, but that's neither here nor there.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

SpiritOfLenin posted:

There's one part of the discussion here that has been bothering me a lot, which is a belief that MeToo is just dead now among some posters, even as I watched a huge reckoning happen in multiple nerdier communities during last summer after Reade was gone from the news. The belief that MeToo is now over is a self-defeating notion, and speaks more about not noticing where it is being active. I don't expect many of you to be aware of the fact that last summer, in fighting game communities and some esports scenes (I know the most about what happened in Dota 2, but I remember other scenes having some cases as well) multiple big names within those scenes were driven out after being outed as sex pests, including some incredibly popular people. While there were shitheads pushing back against the allegations, most of the accused ended up disappearing from the scenes. And all of it happened because after a couple of people came out, more and more people were willing to open up about the terrible poo poo that some people had been doing.

MeToo as a movement doesn't stop just because of a single setback, no matter how notable it is. If you think MeToo is dead because of Tara Reade's accusation not leading up to anything, that's exactly the reaction the people targeted by MeToo would want you to have.

It seemed impossible at the time, but former lord and master of the fighting game community and founder of the Evolution championship, MrWizard, met his end after a very lengthy reveal and condemnation of his past actions.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

If we're on a tangent for slight derails, what ever came of the allegations against Trump while he was running? I remember Gloria Steinem or... someone else, a well-known feminist lawyer, aligning with someone who wanted to push a story against Trump, but at the very second that press release was to run, it was dropped. What came to be that someone would back down from something so damning that it would just vanish into thin air?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I think it's going to take out of state pressure to get him to resign, frankly.

More or less, unfortunately. As a Cuomo, he is quite entrenched in New York politics as a whole, so it would take something extraordinary from outside of New York proper to get any sort of actionable justice going against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

some plague rats posted:

Calls for an investigation always seems to amount to "okay how can we stall for long enough that people lose interest while we kick up enough dust to provide cover for letting him off the hook." Once in a while let's absolutely rush to judgment, especially when there's multiple accusations and photographic evidence

This is basically it. Time for dust to settle and people to lose their wile and why they were riled up to begin with.