Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Victory Position posted:

Personally, I find it utterly garish, if not ghoulish that the media decided to completely can and unperson her so thoroughly and I feel it's a complete failure and a damning indictment of journalism in this country, let alone in general.

I agree. She's essentially persona non grata in American media, now, to the point that she's in RT, which we all know has a questionable bent:

https://twitter.com/ReadeAlexandra/status/1356681743663685633?s=20

Has anyone seen anything that indicates that Biden's senate papers could be unsealed before it doesn't matter anymore?

From the University of Delaware's library:

"The records will be available no sooner than the later date of December 31, 2019, or two years after the donor retires from public life."

try the new taco place posted:

I cannot understand why folks keep referring to her allegations as credible, I am excited to read about the valid proof that I have missed in the last 2 years.

Are they any less credible than AOC's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Zook posted:

It's disgusting how they silenced her but not surprising, look back how disgusting they treated now commonly-known rapist Bill Clintons victims. It's worse now though as the liberal culture/politics has co-opted academic language for their psuedo-feminism/'woke'ness, especially since Trump became the republican nominee in 2016. So you have all these outlets blasting pro-women messages and boosting all these victims of Trump's sexual assaults and talking about how important MeToo and believing victims is, Christine Blasey Ford's testimony, etc, immediately before abandoning all that and smearing Bidens victim, despite having decades of corroboration, trusted character witnesses, etc. As Marx would call it, a heightening of contradictions.

The Democratic party's treatment of Biden and Clinton, but especially Clinton, are indicative of a massive gulf between stated values and actual ones.

How can an organization claim that it supports victims of sexual assault, trafficking, etc. if it tolerates Bill Clinton in 2021?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Fallen Hamprince posted:

The complaint, would not be in Biden’s sealed staff papers. The complaint would be to the Senate’s personnel office, not Biden’s office, for obvious reasons. A Senator’s papers do not contain records of personnel complaints, as the papers are accessible by the Senator.

Is there an incentive to 'lose' complaints like that against sitting senators? Might this have been an even easier thing decades ago?

From the same article, which shows that either Reade planned an impressive long game or something was up:
"One friend, who knew Reade in 1993, said Reade told them about the alleged assault when it happened. The second friend met Reade more than a decade after the alleged incident and confirmed that Reade had a conversation with the friend in 2007 or 2008 about experiencing sexual harassment from Biden while working in his Senate office."

One of the sad, fascinating things about this case is how the "believe women" ethos goes out the window when it's politically inconvenient to Democrats.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Abhorrence posted:

To be clear, you don't believe that committing perjury erodes someone's credibility?

Can you understand how someone could believe the opposite?

What is Joe Biden's credibility given that his first presidential campaign imploded over lying and plagiarism?

e: This not a useful branch of discussion, never mind the moral implications of it--it's he said, she said between two people who've had issues with the truth in the past.

Who do you give the benefit of the doubt? If political expedience is the tie breaker here for you, I'd be straight about it.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 7, 2021

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Malleum posted:

to restate my point in a way that may be clearer, i dont think tara reade perjured herself because she did not intend to somehow cover up her lack of a pre-grad degree when she already had a post-grad degree, and saying that she committed perjury is incorrect

i think that, in the grand scheme of things, the whole focus on her college admission as proof that she lied and therefore proves that shes a lying liar who can't be trusted is both incredibly gross and false, because there is no (or i have simply not seen any) proof that she knew that she did not have a pre-grad degree but told the court so anyway in some kind of plot to defraud attorneys rather than simply assume she had a degree because she went to a college for 4 years and then got into a second college that required a degree from the first for admission

Nah, sorry. That was just a total misquote on my part. :)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Fallen Hamprince posted:

I truly do not understand the “media suppressed it” argument. It was a top news story for months!

You saw no difference between Ford's treatment in the media and Reade's?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

I can understand being agnostic towards both or believing both, but outside of partisanship, I don't understand why someone would believe Christine Ford and not believe Tara Reade (or vice versa). Each case seems to have about the same amount of evidence, both have 30-40 years between the event and the public accusation. If anything, Reade has more contemporary witnesses.

This is, to be frank, a more interesting direction for this thread than attempting to determine--beyond a shadow of a doubt--who is telling the truth.

Ford's story rode the Me Too wave, as it should have. Reade's story, meanwhile, seems like it mortally wounded the movement.

From a thousand foot view, it seems like the only real difference between the two was that one served the interests of the Democratic party at the time, and the other endangered them. :shrug:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Again, I really must insist that character assassination attempts like this horseshit should be grounds for an automatic probe/ban. Her lying 30 years later has NOTHING to do with her accusation of being raped by Biden, and it’s absolutely 100% disgusting to say otherwise.

Agreed. This is absolute poo poo. Can we not do this here?

And, again, Joe Biden's first presidential campaign imploded due to plagiarism and lying. It's really loving telling when his word is gold to folks who won't even entertain Reade's.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

indiscriminately posted:

That post didn't mention Joe Biden.

While this is technically correct, I'm not a goldfish and I know what context is. :shrug:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

This is where I hope this thread could end up.

I don't really have good answers to these questions--I find it sort of depressing just to dwell on them.

There are large swathes of politically aware Americans who don't seem to mind that their elected leaders rape women, cavort with human traffickers, or, hell, just disrespect children's personal boundaries. As long as they're on their team, anyway.

Is that chiefly because political tribalism trumps all? I don't know. It helps, but the wealthy and the powerful, as a rule, get away with this stuff whether or not political control is on the line.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Apologies, I posted the wrong link! I blame lack of coffee. :(

https://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca...zhSICAgCg%3D%3D

Petition for a writ of habeas corpus filed on 8/7/2020. I'm not a California attorney so I don't have access to the case filing system, but maybe someone else does and can tell us if it is related to Reade. No reason to think it isn't though, considering the defendant.

I don't have anything else to respond with, aside from pointing out that your hyper-aggressive tone is why I didn't engage in the previous iteration of this thread, and why I hesitated in engaging with this one. You use phrases like "people like you" to paint me as some sort of enemy. If you're gonna do that, then I think you and I are done here.

What is the point of any of this? Tara Reade could've shot someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue, but it still wouldn't have any bearing on the subject of this thread.

Also, "No reason to think it isn't though, considering the defendant." Seriously? :rolleyes:

Insanite fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 8, 2021

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

The point is that he/she asked. :shrug:

In response to you getting cranky about "scare quotes" around perjury.

Again, none of this really concerns the subject of the thread.

You're making GBS threads it up, and it's not subtle.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

If you think Tara is lying and there also shouldn't be an investigation you're lying about the first part. Then you're just mad she accused someone you want to succeed.

This describes a frustratingly large proportion of Dems. There was little tolerance for the story in the spring among traditional team blue audiences:

#FireChrisHayes trends after MSNBC host covers Biden sexual assault allegations

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Dett Rite posted:

Fair take. What, then, is the strategic benefit to leaving rape apologia unchallenged?

The idea that calling out rape apologia as rape apologia is somehow strategically counterproductive has been raised, and I am curious what goals would be advanced by allowing smears of rape victims to go uncontested.

If your party lacks a bench, you need apologia when many of the men in your highest echelons of power did bad stuff that was lazily covered up because the fashion at the time was to let boys be boys.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

DoomTrainPhD posted:

What's even shittier is the Dems forcing sexual assault victims to vote for a person who is a sex-pest, that's an INCREDIBLY lovely thing for the Dems to do.

Right. This was not a choice that voters should've had to make. This was supposedly a party aligned with Me Too.

The Dems were happy to use the movement as a weapon against the GOP, but took it behind a barn and shot it as soon as it endangered their 'safe' presidential candidate.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

If you're a Democrat who believes that voting Biden was a suboptimal but necessary thing, what are you doing to ensure that your party does not place you in such a position again?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I don't think that anyone ITT is going to come at you for that.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

SpiritOfLenin posted:

There's one part of the discussion here that has been bothering me a lot, which is a belief that MeToo is just dead now among some posters, even as I watched a huge reckoning happen in multiple nerdier communities during last summer after Reade was gone from the news. The belief that MeToo is now over is a self-defeating notion, and speaks more about not noticing where it is being active. I don't expect many of you to be aware of the fact that last summer, in fighting game communities and some esports scenes (I know the most about what happened in Dota 2, but I remember other scenes having some cases as well) multiple big names within those scenes were driven out after being outed as sex pests, including some incredibly popular people. While there were shitheads pushing back against the allegations, most of the accused ended up disappearing from the scenes. And all of it happened because after a couple of people came out, more and more people were willing to open up about the terrible poo poo that some people had been doing.

MeToo as a movement doesn't stop just because of a single setback, no matter how notable it is. If you think MeToo is dead because of Tara Reade's accusation not leading up to anything, that's exactly the reaction the people targeted by MeToo would want you to have.

Would you agree that Me Too and other movements for accountability seemed to reach their limits as they encountered "big names" who have significant political power?

Bill Clinton flew on The Lolita Express, for example, but spoke at last year's Democratic National Convention.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

bump

So, does anyone have any thoughts about steps forward?

It sucks seeing Joe Biden's face practically every day, but feeling angry and disappointed over it doesn't seem healthy on personal or societal levels in the long term.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Clinton's approval among women was higher after impeachment than before, IIRC.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Here's some more Reade + RT writing for the forums metadrama:

https://twitter.com/ReadeAlexandra/status/1366104085733105666?s=20

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

In Twitter jail for saying I'd slap anyone who touched my face with out my permission. Apparently old Italian men grabbing women's faces is totally normal and acceptable behavior.

Good to know that's how this is going again. There's a wall of people saying cuomos behavior is totally fine and "we can't let him get Al Frankened"

I got Twitter jailed for saying it Biden did his weird face touch thing to me that he constantly does I'd do the same thing like 2 years ago and here it is again. Apparently women defending themselves from unwanted touching just isn't allowed.

The litany of excuses never ends, nor does it change. Is there any point at which they'll be too ashamed to use the 'grandpa' poo poo?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

He is one of the highest profile Dems around. Anything but absolute rejection reflects poorly on party, even if he doesn't hold national office.

fart simpson posted:

doesn’t biden’s survival already reflect on the national party?

Also this.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Harvey Mantaco posted:

This has been ruining a lot more than my morning.

Sorry that your family sucks. You're right, and this reflexive dismissiveness among Democrats is genuinely disgusting no matter how many times you see it.

My family is also full of Good Dems, and boy howdy is there a powerful unwillingness to even think about how the allegations against Biden were silenced.

/EN

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

The things Biden had been doing before Tara came out would have been enough to get anyone fired for sexual harassment at their job.

Seriously. If someone touched my face with out my permission at my work, I would absolutely file a compliant with HR immediately. Its not acceptable to just touch other people like that. Hand shakes? sure. Face, neck, back, etc? no. gently caress no.

Edit: Sure if you want to me to amend my statement: Anyone who voted for Joe Biden in the primaries was 100% voting for a sexual harasser and they are disgusting for it.

Absolutely. You knew what you were getting if you pulled the trigger for him during the primaries.

At the time, Biden's repeated violations of personal space--of women, always women--were well known, and were often excused as old timey retail politician or "grandpa" behavior:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/01/biden-1246920

quote:

Longtime Democratic donor Susie Tompkins Buell, 76, has met Joe Biden several times over the years and says he's a hand-holder and a hugger; physically, but innocently, affectionate.

“He’s just like a friendly grandpa, what can I say,” Buell said.

Lucy Flores, 39, a former Nevada assemblywoman and 2014 candidate for lieutenant governor, described her interaction with Biden — his kissing her on the head — as uncomfortable and unacceptable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/04/25/does-joe-biden-have-woman-problem/

quote:

There are a lot of advantages that come from being the highest-ranking Democrat to run for president. But former vice president Joe Biden enters the 2020 presidential race Thursday with a potential major pitfall: his record with women.

Seven women are accusing him of touching that made them uncomfortable; there is reporting that he launched his campaign amid friction with some of the emerging, female power brokers in the Democratic Party; and he is the person behind the Anita Hill hearings in the ’90s, which when framed in the light of the #MeToo era, look even more out of touch than they appeared to be in the moment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47806148

quote:

Joe Biden has pledged to be "more mindful" about physical contact with women, hoping to draw a line under a controversy that has clouded his expected White House bid.

The former US vice-president posted a video on Twitter saying he will in future respect personal space.

Mr Biden stressed he has only ever intended to build a "human connection", rather than make anyone uncomfortable.

He has not yet announced whether he will join the 2020 Democratic field.

Building a "human connection" by kissing a grown-rear end woman on the head. Give me a loving break.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

how is it wrong? Voting for Biden objectively meant taking these credible issues and going 'eh, gently caress it though' including during the primary.

I guess you could carve out an exemption for anyone who hasn’t exposed themselves to news since 1990.

Otherwise, yeah, IDGI. Looking past Biden’s issues during a primary where there were other viable candidates is bad.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Hence why this thread is mostly three posters strenuously nodding their heads in agreement ad infinitum while it is otherwise mostly dead, even though this is a serious issue.

Maybe contribute something beyond this if you care that much about the thread?

socialsecurity posted:

So your plan is to harass everyone until what 51% of the country writes in a third party? Because there were 2 choices for President on election day last year, yes the primary should of gone differently but election day it was either Trump or Biden.

Is it wrong to shame someone in my life who dismissed the assault and harassment allegations against Biden in the primaries? I didn't vote for Biden in the general, and I'll tell people why, but there's a big line IMO between doing this horrible calculus early on vs. later.

The post that kicked this off was specifically talking about primaries. This thread already litigated the general.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 12, 2021

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I'm not really sure how you're supposed to fight rape culture if you're never allowed to tell someone that something they've thought or done isn't good.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Biden isn't the first rapist many or even most of them have voted for, to be fair.

That's true, but Biden was the first post-MeToo presidential candidate that many people voted for.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

It's a great test case for whether the wider Democratic party will lift a finger about this kind of stuff ever again.

Dude is deeply unpleasant, not at all critical to achieving anyone's goals but his own, responsible for the nursing home COVID scandal, and has a boatload of credible allegations against him.

e: Like, come on!

https://twitter.com/justinjm1/status/1370413686351921156

Insanite fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 12, 2021

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Are you ready to hit rock bottom, thread?

https://twitter.com/PoliticsNYnews/status/1371451910058823683?s=20

satan, probably posted:

Citing a long history of white woman leveling unfounded charges of Black males ‘reckless eyeballing’ them, a Black female attorney that formerly worked in Governor Andrew Cuomo’s executive chamber and a Harlem lawmaker are questioning the validity and timing of sexual harassment allegations lodged against the governor.

Both Assemblywoman Inez Dickens (D-Manhattan) and the attorney, who worked with Cuomo in the executive chamber for more than two years, feel the governor is being railroaded.

Historically, white women’s unsubstantiated claims that Black males were propositioning, whistled at or “recklessly eyeballing” them led to hundreds, if not thousands of Black males being brutally lynched and murdered – most notably 14-year-old Emmett Till.

“It’s really unfortunate that the death of thousands of New Yorkers [in the nursing home scandal] had to take a back seat of allegations from white women. That the history of white women allegations is still given number one preference over anything,” said the attorney source, who refused to give her name for fear it could affect her employment.

The source said she often saw Lindsey Boylan, currently running for Manhattan Borough President, interact with Cuomo and that she seemed to be excited about working closely with someone in power. “I can’t see him [Cuomo] asking her to play strip poker. I never observed him doing anything like that,” she said.

“To me people have been wanting to get Cuomo, calling him a bully for his intimidating tactics, but had nothing to hang their hat on and needed to survive. Then when the number of nursing home deaths came out they ran with everything else. It was railroading and seizing the moment,” the source added.

The source warned that the rush to judgment without investigating the allegations could do great harm.

This is more brazen, more cynical a move than anything I can recall in recent memory.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Its dishonest reporting that's designed to quell unease in people who are extremely concerned about stolen college honor--a big part of the Dem base.

Joe Biden's truth problems, meanwhile, were dead and buried.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Every now and then, I watch this just for laughs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmuAB5MqP0Y

It's just so blatant!

e: Sadly, the part where Biden talks about "his" coal mining ancestors coming up to play (association) football after 12h shifts is not in that YouTube vid.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 15, 2021

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

How are u posted:

And I was responding to that. I'm not interested in your pure-hypothetical question, because I'm only interested in talking about the actual real-world examples of #metoo and misogyny being reckoned with in our politics right now.

Is there any scenario in which Democrats, as the 'good' party, losing political power due to MeToo-style reckoning is acceptable to you?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

the 2016 lover posted:

On the topic of whether the Democratic party is distancing itself from sex creeps:

https://twitter.com/ccadelago/status/1374492329097060359

It reads like parody at this point. The party is contemptuous of anything approaching justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

In regards to President Biden's rape: Is it true that there could be documents regarding Tara Reade's accusation in the National Archives? But they won't release anything?

I don't know how that stuff works, but if someone could tell me why we have an archive that doesn't allow people to research it I'd appreciate it.

Are you thinking of his Senate papers, which the University of DE has but cannot or will not release?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-joe-bidens-senate-papers-arent-public-11588356158

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/30/politics/biden-senate-papers/index.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/05/01/biden-delaware-documents/

https://library.udel.edu/special/joseph-r-biden-jr-senatorial-papers/

efb