Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Chinese words or Soviet sounding words would get the same response

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

its funny how if hillary won in 2016 it would still be 6-3 with 3 trump appointments by now

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
president tim kaine lol i mean can you even imagine

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Excelzior posted:

I was gonna shitpost about how "the supreme court hasnt been legitimate since Marbury v Madison”

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Al! posted:

ban teaching about black history, speech that promotes racial disharmony, communism, bad morals etc. welcome back to the 50s folks

Assuming this isn't a SYQ, lol at the idea of a ban of "black history", which would require some sort of legal definition, ditto "racial disharmony" - in the US of all places. Banning immorality requires the court to take a position on morality, which is also pretty funny and unenforceable, especially in contemporary America.

It's just very funny to think that those are things established from the top down by the judicial branch, it's a very legalistic and institutional (liberal) view of society and culture.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Al! posted:

supreme court's going to okay actual laws that ban speech that promotes racial disharmony, communism, bad morals etc. welcome back to the 50s folks
france and germany are already ahead of the curve here banning anti-war protests under Hate Speech

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

As someone who spent time in the military this kinda thought always makes me laugh.

The US military is made up of a poo poo ton of the rural rednecks they all hate and talk down to so much.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yes, but by putting on a uniform those rednecks instantly transform into loyal servants of the liberal elite.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The Pussy Boss posted:

love when people talk about "rural" people like they're an alien species
Not just alien, but as if 20% of the population spread over the 4th largest nation on earth is more monolithic than some small insular ethnoreligious minority.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yes, but by putting on a uniform those rednecks instantly transform into loyal servants of the liberal elite.

lol the ironclad believe in institutions without any understanding of how they work, particularly any human element, is p funny also.

They really think you punch in legal authority, or even technicalities, and get the outcome you want automatically. Like their idea to have electors defect or to take Trump off the ballet or any of these other ploys to "save democracy", which they think would produce inarguable result by fiat rather than either fizzling out and being ignored, or kicking off a conflict they would lose.

The US capital police ignored orders on Jan 6. Not as obviously as Canadian police did during the trucker thing, but still. This should be a sign for them.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Al! posted:

president tim kaine lol i mean can you even imagine

¡vaya con díos!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/BriannaWu/status/1777416804198982075

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tars Tarkas posted:

Been this way forever, despite countless evidence that you can reach those people (heck, Obama did in 2008! and then dismantled the whole apparatus lol) and there are many times more of them than mythical centrists or moderate republicans. Now the wagons have been circled to the point where when candidates bring in people who don't normally vote in primaries everyone in the establishment gets mad and racist and mad. And racist.

Two guesses. One is it disrupts the normal fundraising grift pipeline when new people show up. The other is there is no way lanyard libs would ever knock on doors.
All of that makes sense to me. Like, rural voters rely more on absentee ballots, so do you want to expand ballot access for chuds?

Even if we're just talking pure bloodless electoral strategy, if you grab any thread and pull it you have to come to the conclusion that Democrats just aren't an effective organization. I guess people who aren't willing to do that have to get bound up in this crackpot realism where we're fighting for the votes of moderate Republicans in the DC suburbs, and when that fight's lost...just bemoan that the world's going to hell because everyone is stupid?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tars Tarkas posted:

Been this way forever, despite countless evidence that you can reach those people (heck, Obama did in 2008! and then dismantled the whole apparatus lol) and there are many times more of them than mythical centrists or moderate republicans. Now the wagons have been circled to the point where when candidates bring in people who don't normally vote in primaries everyone in the establishment gets mad and racist and mad. And racist.

Two guesses. One is it disrupts the normal fundraising grift pipeline when new people show up. The other is there is no way lanyard libs would ever knock on doors.

2008 :obama:: my work here is done :)

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I bet as a thought experiment if you described the Supreme Court to people using Muslim terms instead of English terms they’d recoil in horror, even if you didn’t change a single fact, just swap out judge for qadi and poo poo

really makes you think

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

They're not stupid, they have kept the left out of power, killed any active left movement after Bernie, coopted AOC, secured ironclad sinecures for the entire party elite, and based on Pelosi's trades, secured their individual fortunes beyond anyone's wildest dreams.

They've very clever when going about what's absolutely essential to them. None of those things are threatened by the Republicans holding power, as long as safe seats remain safe, and hell they can fundraise more with Trump in office than Biden. The rank and file democrat supporters are stupid, if they believe the party has political goals beyond those that are indispensable, I'll grant you that, but as a patronage network to enrich part of the American ruling class, it's very effective.

e: I mean, democrats are loving stupid, that's the point of this thread, but there's a baseline where their wiles kick in, and that's protecting the actual power structure and party discipline. Obama making a few phone calls and having everyone drop out to stop the Bernie campaign, was smart. Everything Obama did that was notionally part of a political project, pretty stupid.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Willa Rogers posted:

actually, salon went downhill after firing glenn for writing about rotating villains & such during the obamarama years.

all the salons and AMERICAblogs and DailyKos' and all those "left" bloggers of that era showed their asses when obama got elected and they suddenly didn't care about a whole lot of things and started to find other things very cool and good after all.

I think atrios is the only one who left the obama era with their credibility intact.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Toph Bei Fong posted:

It's really not hard at all.

I do it regularly. All you need to do is couch it in terms they can't disagree with i.e. "America is the greatest country on the planet, and you can't even go to the drat doctor without it costing a thousand dollars? Buncha greedy fatcats trying to stick their hand in your pocket without actually providing any service." or "This is the richest, most prosperous country in the world, and there should be a level below which you are not allowed to fall. It's just plain unamerican that someone should be on the street in the cold with no food. It ain't Christian."

But realizing that the message needs to be tailored to the audience, and trying to meet people where they are and inside their own belief structures, is anathema to being smugly condescending towards those you consider your inferiors...

read settlers bitch

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lmao

quote:

Last month, Gallego allowed his membership in the Congressional Progressive Caucus to lapse after joining during his first term in Congress, a decision he claims was about finances.

“The Progressive Caucus actually increased their dues tremendously, and that comes out of my staff pay, and so, you know, we have to make decisions,” Gallego said. Pressed again, he continued: “I work for Arizonans. And sometimes that makes me cross a lot of political spectrums.”

Throughout his political career, which started in Arizona’s state House in 2010, Gallego’s lived experience has been reflected in the legislation he’s championed. In the state Legislature, Gallego fought to expand Medicaid for veterans and provide in-state tuition for former soldiers living in the state. And upon election to Congress in 2015, Gallego immediately joined the Congressional Progressive Caucus and vowed to fight for America’s working class.

He's got the means-testing bullshit down pat so it's easy to see how he's the perfect democrat senate candidate.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Pussy Boss posted:

love when people talk about "rural" people like they're an alien species

*anthropologist voice* The rural american goes to "church" every Sunday - a sort of ritual where they are taught to hate black people, and gays. Here we see their preferred mode of transportation, so-called "lifted" pickup trucks. Chewing tobacco use is common,

yeah, it's all "anthropological studies in dumb & racist humans, unlike us higher beings"

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

you're under my protection here, fwiw (prolly not a lot)

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Willa Rogers posted:

lmao

He's got the means-testing bullshit down pat so it's easy to see how he's the perfect democrat senate candidate.

what a wise latina

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

all the salons and AMERICAblogs and DailyKos' and all those "left" bloggers of that era showed their asses when obama got elected and they suddenly didn't care about a whole lot of things and started to find other things very cool and good after all.

I think atrios is the only one who left the obama era with their credibility intact.

yah, and a bunch ended up being paid shills for democrats thereafter, or like emptywheel turned into muellers-she-wrote.

naked capitalism stayed p. good, imo, especially on finance & healthcare, but I always forget to go there these day & their engagement has really dropped.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

and hell they can fundraise more with Trump in office than Biden.

This is the real X factor that points to a lot of the most recent Dem suckage, not that they weren't awful before of course, but the ones who are in safe seats only see $$$ signs when people start talking about Trump winning again.

"Ooh, we can just take all the fundraising emails from 2016-2020 and reword them slightly and then :homebrew:!"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

They're not stupid, they have kept the left out of power, killed any active left movement after Bernie, coopted AOC, secured ironclad sinecures for the entire party elite, and based on Pelosi's trades, secured their individual fortunes beyond anyone's wildest dreams.

They've very clever when going about what's absolutely essential to them. None of those things are threatened by the Republicans holding power, as long as safe seats remain safe, and hell they can fundraise more with Trump in office than Biden. The rank and file democrat supporters are stupid, if they believe the party has political goals beyond those that are indispensable, I'll grant you that, but as a patronage network to enrich part of the American ruling class, it's very effective.

e: I mean, democrats are loving stupid, that's the point of this thread, but there's a baseline where their wiles kick in, and that's protecting the actual power structure and party discipline. Obama making a few phone calls and having everyone drop out to stop the Bernie campaign, was smart. Everything Obama did that was notionally part of a political project, pretty stupid.
Well sure, we don't really disagree. I mean they're ineffective at actually winning elections relative to the % of the population who identify as to the left of the Republicans. Of course, they're not a popular electoral coalition because they don't want to be. But they do want to win elections, even if they don't really want to wield power, and they're not even that good at this little pragmatism thingy they're obsessed with.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

But why would they prefer to win this election over losing it?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol

This is like Michael Richards doing that Chris Rock bit and trying to say he's not saying slurs anymore

God I'm so old

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nichael posted:

one of the funniest bits of law school is class textbooks that do a scholarly analysis of the rationale of :kav: and company

Holy poo poo can't imagine. Are they really bothering with creating a framework other than conservative politics ftw?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

stumblebum posted:

while the democratic party's actual purpose is not to win elections, and any given election is entirely expendable for the sake of throwing for cash, the increasingly blatant acts of electoral self-sabotage will still produce increasingly prominent heightening of the contradictions. these contradictions are likely not going to express themselves through any kind of truly threatening mass movement in the next couplefew decades, but it can still cause serious damage to the stability of the u.s. state, which does genuinely rely on mass electoralism to function ("mass electoralism" not being equivalent to "democracy" in any meaningful way)

in particular, the contradictions will begin expressing destabilizing properties through the lowest level of party offices and apparatchiks, the ones who straddle the line between expendable chaff and well-rewarded local officiate. these members of the party stand to lose out, significantly, when the overall party decides to attack and alienate the electorate, because they actually do desire/need the petty powers and bribery that they acquire in the local-most boards and offices. and since payouts have to ultimately come from capital, and capital is currently ramping up into escalating crises, the pool of available bribery is constantly shrinking in favor of immediate economic investments. that means that every time the dnc (or gop!) sheds offices to their friends and allies for the sake of sabotaging popular participation, more and more of these petty officiates get shed without traditional payout, and replaced with cheaper ones. and since you get what you pay for, well... look at the current crop of us politicians and imagine that we're nowhere near halfway along in the deterioration of their political aptitude

I'll venture to say that at this point, it might be better for them to lose the White House and flog #Resistance to raise money for state elections. They could even spend some of that money to do things that actually win elections instead of just pissing it away on ad-buys, if they're feeling frisky. Lots of credit for #StandingUpToTrump, no pressure to actually pass national legislation.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Sure they could make a lot of money fundraising after losing the election, but another thing that is absolutely essential to them is that people worship them and treat them with the dignity and respect their place in society demands. If they lose the election, they will lose face, and people will make fun of them. Since that's some thing they can't stand, I can't see them losing on purpose. The democrats don't like being clowns.

EDIT: Well, they don't like being perceived as clowns anyway.

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 04:50 on Apr 9, 2024

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

they don't like being perceived as clowns, you say?

https://twitter.com/MarkWarner/status/1777423502221377715

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Willa Rogers posted:

they don't like being perceived as clowns, you say?

https://twitter.com/MarkWarner/status/1777423502221377715

nightmare blunt rotation

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Carefully removing my "Hamas #1" giant novelty foam hand and replacing it with an "IRGC #1" giant novelty foam hand

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
somebody make a new succzone thread as the freakin page number thing is dying, thank u

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Murderous Iranian Regime is a great band name

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
houthini houthini houthini performance fleece

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Excelzior posted:

I was gonna shitpost about how "the supreme court hasnt been legitimate since Dred Scott" but, let's be honest here :

it was never legitimate
funny how the ussc pioneered the style of government popularized by dick cheney but no one makes fun of either one anymore

gwb hires cheney to find a vp and he comes back with himself as the only option

ussc was asked who has the final say between them and congress and they invent judicial review

both should be treated with the same contempt

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Would like to take a moment and say to the person on the av-buying spree: What the fuck is wrong with you? Fucking disagreeing on the wording of polling questions means that I support Israel murdering people in Gaza? And somehow despite caring enough to plaster that fucking pic

Homeless Friend posted:

somebody make a new succzone thread as the freakin page number thing is dying, thank u

you have the power

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
does the forum database hate huge page numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

really makes you think