Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Oh hey, a glassblowing thread! I'm resurrecting it and injecting some life into this. I started glassblowing about 2.5 years ago, going into a shop for private lessons.

Most of this was from years ago, building up to that glass in the final picture. Starting to practice with cane and murrini works now. Assisting more around a shop and converting friends into assistance has helped a bunch with practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

ColdPie posted:

Those are lovely. Knowing nothing about glass work, I would have guessed the first items were more difficult than the glass, not the opposite.

Thank you! Having not known a lot about glass before either, I'd have made the same guess.

Flowers are pretty simple to make / its very hard to hurt yourself making them, so they're a good starter project. Its a simple setup of color, no blowing required and the motions to make it are plucking for the petals then one straight pull for the stem.

But as you get better you can make the flowers bigger, the petals more defined and the stems more fancy and twisted.

Pumpkins like the one I showed before are a two person job, but they're pretty straight forward to make as well. This one has a chonky stem before I knew how much heat to give a stem. The more heat glass has, the more fluid it is and the more you can do to it before it starts chilling.

I had to start making well formed cups before I could end up with well formed colored cups because colored glass heats up and cools down at different rates than each other and clear glass. So once you've figured out the timing and feel of clear glass, it changes slightly with color and then gets crazier as you add more colors. Black and white are soft and stiff colors respectively, meaning black heats up really fast and white takes forever.

Some random vases I've made this year that I'm really proud of.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

that's cool as hell. one of these days i will have to try out a hotshop again, looks like a different sort of fun than the torch honestly

i did a dotstack marble last night, fun technique but needs a lot more practice on my part!
https://i.imgur.com/ml3vWPP.mp4

I haven't done any lampwork but I'm jealous of all the details you can work into a piece. That's a rad marble! Did you roll a bit across some murini to get that?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Lordy I love the details and smoking paraphernalia you can get from lamp working.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

And your posts had me looking into local hotshops, the grass is always greener friend

This is true but you guys get to smoke your grass on that side with what you make. :)

It's that time of the year! I made a pumpkin cup for my niece.

Fun fact; I have a band aid on my thumb in the last picture. A glove I was using had a whole in it, so the side of my thumb pressed directly to hot glass :frogsiren: