Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Someone's done the hard work of unrolling the sphere grid which at least for the original 'Standard' sphere grid shows it's more simple than it looks. Everyone's just got a main branch with a couple of locks that you can bypass to hop to a different branch instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I don't understand why people are calling this minigame hard?

Words appear in a section of the screen. Basically any of the eight directions, or the centre.

So you move the control stick to one of the eight directions and press X.
Or if it's in the centre of the screen, you don't need to press a direction. You just press X.

Keep doing that until all the words go away.

What's the hard part?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Falconier111 posted:

The controls in FFX in general are sluggish and unresponsive, and it’s surprisingly difficult to force the minigame to register anything. You know that dream at the beginning of the section? It actually happens when you interact with the blitzball, followed by the minigame; there’s no warning, there’s no way to back out, and if you fail, there’s no way to retry it (as far as you know). It’s in an area full of cutscenes, all unskippable, to disincentivize reloading a save if it took you by surprise, and if you fail, it changes the dialogue in the next cutscene to repeatedly make fun of you. It also has an obvious gameplay effect in a bit that I’ll cover when we get to it.

From the godlike perspective of an LP, it doesn’t seem like much. For a first timer, it’s absolute hell. That’s why people hate it.

Oh, yeah, I know all that.
I played the game when I was 10 years old and didn't see what the issue was, that's why I was confused. Outside of a certain later minigame I don't think FFX's control are all that sluggish - Tidus runs slowly but you can turn on a dime, there's no momentum to him or anything like that.

There's no 'cooldown' on hitting the phrases so you can pretty much win by spinning the stick and mashing X, at least last time I played through this game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

NeverHelm posted:

Remember kids: Don't talk poo poo about people right in front them, thinking they don't understand you. Sometimes, they do. And not all of them make it obvious.

I always found it a bit strange that the Psyches would stoop to rigging the game with a kidnapping. I mean, aren't the Aurochs the worst team ever? Why are they scared of them?

Watsonian explanation (no actual spoilers but foreshadowing for later): Lulu doesn't speak Al Bhed well and didn't interpret the 'ransom' note correctly. The Psyches did kidnap Yuna, but their request to 'give up' isn't intended for the Aurochs.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

MightyPretenders posted:

And the Al-Bhed Psyches are reportedly so consistantly good that the Goers should never have been in the running at all.

The keeper for the Psyches is absurdly good, and their forwards are solid enough to have decent odds. I guess it's meant to be balanced by them not having that high endurance but they're fast enough it doesn't come up enough.

I never noticed until the remaster (which upscales the textures) that this wall writing is actually in plain English and doesn't match the subtitle. The actual message from Wakka is "To the dreams of my childhood, farewell."

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

FF13-1's plot almost makes sense except for the very end where they have to pull out a deus ex machina to give it any kind of happy ending.

Big god made demigods to serve humanity, on Pulse (big world) and the orbiting Cocoon (smaller world). Demigods eventually get sick of serving humans and immortality in general and so want to call back god. The best way they can think of to do this is by failing at their jobs as hard as possible by forcing humans to be their servants.

First (in the backstory of the game) they try forcing a war between Pulse and Cocoon, and that doesn't work (Pulse loses).

Pulse demigods enslave their entire population to kill them off, but this doesn't work on Cocoon for whatever reason.

So a Pulse demigod entombed on Cocoon from the war gives the main characters the explicit mission to kill the demigod at the heart of Cocoon, bringing it down and killing everyone in it.

So the main characters hem and haw and infight and try to 'resist fate' and in the end... they still end up doing it. And Cocoon starts falling.

And yeah deus ex machina literally happens to make it turn out OK. It Just Works. The writers had written themselves into a corner and had no idea what to do.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

If the plot had focused on the fact that de-crystalisation was possible it might have made for some kind of better plot.
"You're forced to serve a demigod or slowly die (with a time limit), and success only means you get your timer reset for next time your master needs you" could lead to an interesting sort of game where you try to break free within your time limit but still need to fulfil your goal along the way.

Come to think of it this is kinda-sorta the premise of tabletop RPG Mummy: the Curse (taking place in the same universe as Vampire: the Requiem, the spiritual successor to Vampire: the Masquerade), though that game had other problems about how it was constructed.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

MarquiseMindfang posted:

This idea honestly only gets better if you imagine it as a variation on Majora's Mask where certain things carry over between semi-randomised "jobs" which you can build up towards The Big Escape.

Prey Mooncrash was almost this. You loop through playing staff members trying to survive on a moon station and eventually escape, accomplishing objectives along the way, with the framing conceit being that you're an investigator living through their simulated memories and that's how you can upgrade yourself and change things up as you repeat memories.
Your eventual goal is to do a '5 escape run' where you loop through all 5 staff in a single iteration, playing in just the right way that all the staff escape in a different way, which means you have to do stuff like use the Hacker character to hack enough doors open for the Psychic to get through them, and so on.

The original plan was that once you'd accomplished everything in the sim, you'd crash on the moon and have to do an escape yourself as the investigator using everything you'd learned, but that was cut for time so that bit just happens in a cutscene.

double edit:
I forgot their next game, Deathloop, is also kinda sorta aiming to be this where you're caught in a 1-day time loop and need to figure out a way to kill all the bosses in a single day to escape the loop.
Also the multiplayer component is that another player can invade your game to screw you over and try to kill you while you try to end the loop.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 12, 2021

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It's poorly explained in the game, but external media says that Calms are getting shorter over time, with the first one lasting hundreds of years.

Personally I think it's an unnecessary detail and it's enough for Calms to be variable in length. Having them get shorter would drive home the fact that this is an unsustainable system, but even other people in this game who bring up criticisms don't bring this up at all, making it feel like this was something decided after the fact.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah, I'll cop to 'Calms are being shorter' being fanon, my mistake. Calms are getting closer together, according to the official Ultimania timeline produced by Squenix, but no mention of them being shorter.

It looks like there's people in this thread who are reading without knowing any plot ahead of time so I'll abstain from plot analysis until much later.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

ultrafilter posted:

After all these years I just can't get over how absolutely stupid Seymour's hair is.

Pretend you didn't see it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I consistently get to this fight without -ra spells too. Yeah, it takes a bit but it's not awful, especially if you summon an aeon. You've got Ifrit and Valefor at this point, both of which have magic, and they've got a decent chance of winding up for an Overdrive.

Not up in the update: nagging Auron before triggering the boss fight encourages Tidus to "Stay close to Yuna" which I always interpreted not just as standard guardian talk but also wanting to encourage them to share their reactions to Operation Mi'ihen with each other.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Personally, I prefer killing off Gatta instead of letting Luzzu die.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

OK so if you don't really die unless you get Sent or accept death, could Luzzu have just been like, talking normally while being cut in half?

If you're not Sent, then your pyreflies reincorporate themselves into fiends instead of being sent on to the farplane.
Only summoners (and maybe high-up priests that choose not to be become summoners on pilgrimage?) can do sendings. The sending, like summoning an aeon, is pyrefly manipulation.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It's from a page ago but the gimmick of the underwater battle is to teach you that you can interrupt the attack patterns of some bosses by using the Provoke move that Tidus is likely to learn. In this case, Provoking the boss immediately stops it from using its Depth Charges.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

You can press Square in front of the weird stones to have interesting things happen. I have no idea if the game tells you this at any point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Procrastine posted:

For adding cutscene skips in rereleases, remember also that this is the game where due to the way it was programmed, the English voice lines had to be the exact same length as the Japanese ones or the game would crash.

This one I always kinda question because they didn't change the lip flaps, sure, so the sound files have to stay the same length. But surely they can be allowed to go under time and just add dead air to the end of the voice line?