Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This sounds very fascinating. I've always thought Spira had an incredible amount of potential for world building because there's just so drat much of it and so many questions that just...never get answered (even though I have my own ideas and theories about a lot of them). Mostly because they're not relevant, but still. X and X-2 really only scratch the surface and I still hold out hope they'll do something Ivalice-like with it and expand on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

cant cook creole bream posted:

I feel this way about FF7, which I never got the appeal of. I guess this one here will always have some special place in my heart as the first Final Fantasy I played. But it's not all nostalgia, because FF6 rocks, a lot.

I feel the exact same way about VII. Maybe it's because I played it after I played IX and X, but I was incredibly underwhelmed.

I like both X and X-2 about the same, for different reasons. I'm a sucker for dark stories, and X definitely delivers on that front. But I'm also a big fan of stuff that's campy and never takes itself particularly seriously, and X-2 has that in spades. And the battle systems in both are lots of fun. If I had to pick one, though, X-2's scene skip would put it over the edge

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Falconier111 posted:

Its characters, for all that they aren’t literary masterpieces, have interesting personalities, perspectives, motivations, and character development they go through. Combine that with the aesthetic, which remains visually unique today, and you had something unique. Previous Final Fantasies had done all of this, too, but FFX came out at the beginning of the PS2 era, when video games were starting to become cool, so it was perfectly positioned to hook a bunch of people expecting something a lot more prosaic.

Also its female character designs were really horny.

If you try and defend any fashion choices in this game I will burn these forums to the ground

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Quackles posted:

What about the fashion choices in Final Fantasy X-2? :v:

Who among us has never dressed up like a black mage at a fancy party?

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 11, 2021

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Violet_Sky posted:

I love Zanarkand. It looked so pretty. Also that blitzball cutscene is still stunning

I remember reading a review saying that the music and visuals were sub-par and just being absolutely flabbergasted. Even if this game sucked on every single other front, there is absolutely no denying that it's gorgeous and the music is stunning.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Maybe they could have done like pregnant people on TV and whenever someone talks, something is covering their face

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Quackles posted:

How does one pronounce 'Tidus', anyway?

If there's no answer to the contrary, I'm going to assume it's [ˈtɪˌdiz].

With a hard "g"

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I actually like this vaguely-annoyed Tidus. It's much better than non-stop confusion and ego

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I alllllllllllllllmost rolled my eyes at the Captain being called Leada but then I remembered the goalie is named Keepa. Maybe people in Besaid are just really good at naming.

I also headcanon that the reason Yuna took so long in the trial is because she's just THAT dumb. I mean, she's smarter than I used to think, but she's still not the shiniest sphere on the grid

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I don't know if I was blind, stupid, or both but I had the hardest time with Tidus' and only Tidus' Sphere Grid the first time I played. I kept going back somehow and ended up so far behind everyone else. I ended up using Kimahri as my speedy striker, which to me makes sense for a cat anyways

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The thing is, though, the further you get, the less it matters. Wakka can hit those fast monsters better than Tidus can, and other characters have abilities unrelated to accuracy. And that's just one example. There comes a point where if you really want, you can stick to 3-4 favorites

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I always thought how weird it was that they made so many caskets so quickly, but as I got older I realized that in a place like Spira, they probably just have them ready to go. And considering that bodies disappear after the Sending, they probably get reused, too.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I would personally like a moment-by-moment update for the one in Bevelle, complete with what headache medicine you used at that particular moment

Not really. Anything you feel is noteworthy is fine by me

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
They did a good job with magic in this game, as far as keeping it balanced. Typically Square makes black magic either constantly overpowered, powerful during certain windows but falls behind pretty hard, or completely useless. But unless you power level, Lulu never feels like dead weight in this game

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Hunter Noventa posted:

I would say the opposite, the later in the game, the less useful Lulu gets. The game suffers from a problem that 7 and 8 did, where the main difference between characters after a certain point is their Limit Breaks/Overdrives, and Lulu's Overdrive is pretty lackluster.

Unless you're sending everyone into everyone's grid sections the whole game, that's really not an issue here until you start going for the superbosses.

But yes, her Overdrive does suck. Cool in theory, though

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That Seymour guy seems swell

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

SoundwaveAU posted:

I love Blitzball. Don't understand the hate it gets, it's a great minigame.

It also always bugged me how biased the announcers are. Sure the Goers are the home team but they really take their bias to the next level. People from all over Spira are here, be more impartial!

Spira in general just kinda seems like that. There's not really a whole lot of people who like our party, for example, when they literally have no reason to dislike them. The people of Besaid do, and a few NPCs, but Yuna really gets an odd amount of disdain

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I know Blitzball is some sort of meme, but is it actually fun to play or is it really stupid?

It looks to be some sort of hockey/handball mashup which seem cool on paper

My problem with it is that it's just tedious as hell.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Spira needs a nice, low-key Old Navy

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The more I learn about that game the happier I get that I didn't make it that far in before quitting.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I tried looking up the main antagonist on the wiki once and from what little I understood it was "mommy issues but they're both God"

EDIT:

Oh right, just remembered I was gonna say something about Wakka's slots.

Typically, I hate slot machines, especially in videogames. But Wakka's don't move really fast so it's easier to get what you want

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 12, 2021

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
EDIT: Post =/= Edit

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Falconier111 posted:

Think that third paragraph needs spoilers bro

That said, I seem to remember Calms lasting... Ten years? According to... Something. But that’s long enough to do some serious rebuilding before it comes back. Plus, I get the impression that Sin destroying a town only happens every few decades and even then most of the inhabitants survive. The big issue is that it prevents infrastructure and consistently traumatizes every generation.

I feel like it keeps changing, to be honest. I remember it somewhere being said that a Calm lasts 10 years, then during the last LP I looked it up on the wiki and I remember explicitly reading at least the first Calm was a couple hundred years so honestly (but that seems to have changed, too since then), I don't know what to believe

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Did y'all hear who won the Blitzball tournament this year?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Fedule posted:

The real Blitzball galaxy brain move at this point is to walk the whole way to the boat and sail back to Kilika to recruit Tatts.

...I mean this way seems practical too, but where's the pointless style?

They're probably gonna get Tatts later when they does the mother of all backtracks before something gets blocked off by a superboss

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 14, 2021

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Falconier111 posted:

They, please. I prefer not to reveal identifying information on the internet :v:. Also, I know I’ve been doing a lot of stuff, but I’m not actually shooting for completion here. I’m not going THAT out of my way. Tatts can go rot :colbert:

Okie doke, changed over.

And I don't blame you. I did the backtrack once and it was sooooooooooooooo boring

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

bewilderment posted:

Pretend you didn't see it.

Pretty simple to do because there's no way he hasn't blinded someone with that thing

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Bifauxnen posted:

:five:

Even if Seymour is creepy as gently caress I always loved this scene of his a lot.

I forgot to mention how much I like Shelinda after the last update too. She's annoying but it's such a well-characterised annoying!

She is also the only person in Spira besides the party (and one other person) who gets poo poo DONE, so she gets props for that

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Falconier111 posted:

Blinded three people. I remember hearing the character designs for X were so outrageous they actually prompted pushback from people who felt they’d jumped the visual shark, so the suits forced Nomura and friends to reign it in in future titles.

I completely understand and support being creative with stuff like that, but there's a certain point where it's ridiculous. There's no way Lulu is comfortable walking across a continent in that outfit, for example. And you just KNOW that giant thing on Braska's head got caught on his robe at least once and he walked around all day with his underwear exposed while Auron and Jecht giggled

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
...I've played this game 4-5 times over 20 years and just realized her sleeves are detached

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Fiend Tales are great because they're supposed to be fun and there's some lore sprinkled in there, but what their existence implies is horrifying. It's amazing and I love it.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This fight always felt like a level check. If Lulu doesn't have a -ra spell, it takes forever.

Or maybe 14 year old Rabbi Raccoon was just bad at this game again

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I REALLY need to start charging people every time I have that effect

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I mean that is literally both games in a nutshell

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
OK so if you don't really die unless you get Sent or accept death, could Luzzu have just been like, talking normally while being cut in half?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

bewilderment posted:

Personally, I prefer killing off Gatta instead of letting Luzzu die.

If you're not Sent, then your pyreflies reincorporate themselves into fiends instead of being sent on to the farplane.
Only summoners (and maybe high-up priests that choose not to be become summoners on pilgrimage?) can do sendings. The sending, like summoning an aeon, is pyrefly manipulation.

Any further will go into spoiler territory so I'll withdraw the question for now, but that reincorporating isn't an immediate process. If you ran into someone who had just been cut in half, they might be able to still talk and behave normally if they hold onto their senses

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Ugh, Dona is just the worst character. Who decided Amber from Clueless would be a good summoner?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
"Show"?

You have hurt me in a way no person ever has

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The fact that Yuna shows up on the battle rewards screen there had me thinking for the longest time that I was missing some secret in that battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Wakka is the racist uncle you avoid at Thanksgiving