Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Quantum Toast posted:

I've always liked FF10's combat system for how easy it makes it to plan ahead. Though admittedly it's also partly because I was never that big a fan of the standard FF4-FF9 ATB.

FF10 still has the best combat system of any mainline FF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

The only thing that’s wrong with FFX’s visuals is the face animation but good lord is it unnatural. Look, I’m really, really bad with faces. I have in the past spent 10 minutes staring at someone because I wasn’t sure if I knew them. I once failed to recognize my next door neighbor in a restaurant. It takes a LOT for facial animation to bother me, but FFX manages to pull it off.

There's several anecdotes floating around that the English VAs either tried too hard or were forced to try and match the Japanese lip flaps, it can look and sound really weird in some scenes.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

You posted the shot with the Save Sphere twice in a row.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Aces High posted:

does the game force you to have that copyright text in the corner at all times? that aside, this is a really good remaster when it comes to our heroes but oh man as soon as they are placed beside "generics" you can see where the money was spent to make characters not look like plain PS2 models, unless they looked like that in the original too

LPer is using the screenshot function on the Switch version, so I think it's forced there, yeah.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

As an aside, how much do you folks want to see of the Cloisters? I’m inclined to breeze past them and just cover the highlights so as not to prolong my torment, but that isn’t exactly in the spirit of LPing, you know?

I'd say show off any interesting scenery orgimmicks, but we don't need a walkthrough of the puzzle.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

They did a good job with magic in this game, as far as keeping it balanced. Typically Square makes black magic either constantly overpowered, powerful during certain windows but falls behind pretty hard, or completely useless. But unless you power level, Lulu never feels like dead weight in this game

I would say the opposite, the later in the game, the less useful Lulu gets. The game suffers from a problem that 7 and 8 did, where the main difference between characters after a certain point is their Limit Breaks/Overdrives, and Lulu's Overdrive is pretty lackluster.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Unless you're sending everyone into everyone's grid sections the whole game, that's really not an issue here until you start going for the superbosses.

But yes, her Overdrive does suck. Cool in theory, though

That's true, I just usually send someone to grab Black Magic and then Lulu is obsolete.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Just reading that update stuck the Blitzball music in my head.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Fedule posted:

I'd have to double check the tables to confirm but I have a vague recollection of the whole joke with the Aurochs being that they're poo poo and level like poo poo until the tail end of the curve at which point they just hulk out and become stupid good, or something. I remember Keepa secretly being one of the best keepers in the game.

*pulls out FFX strategy guide*

Keepa, hilariously, gets a SH stat of 99. At level 99. It just rockets up after level 70. That's better than Tidus at 99.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

What's amazing though is this spoiler comes so early. I've always liked FFX's story since it's so straightforward and coherent compared to most modern FF games, and this is a nice example. They actually give you a big info bomb to chew on early on, instead of building up to all these crazy twists and reveals getting dumped on you right near the end to try and hurriedly explain everything.

Yeah you get to spend the whole game thinking about HOW the big twist could work out, instead of wondering when it'll hit you, it's pretty good.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I think you may have messed up some of your find-replace, Seymour's portrait is missing for some dialogue, and Auron snuck into Tidus reacting to Khimari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

EggsAisle posted:

I'm 99% sure the original FFX let you switch between long and short summoning scenes, which was rather considerate of them.

As for your Venom Shot strategy, I remember doing something kinda like that because I wanted to see if I could get a goalie's health down to 0. I didn't even get close, but I'm sure I didn't go about it the optimal (or cheesiest, if you prefer) way.

Yeah you'd have to see the long sequence at least once but you could definitely opt for the shorter one on PS2.