Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I like that the tutorial for Lulu lets you cast any spell she knows on the Water Flan; Lulu says "...that was a bad example" if you use Fire or Blizzard, and Wakka complains if you cast Water (and prompts an explanation from Lulu that if you're not careful with your elements, you can heal your opponents by mistake.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Letty's one of two people in the entire game who call Tidus by name; the other is a girl on the Zanarkand bridge back in the beginning who says "Good luck, Tidus!" if spoken to. (Square could have at least done what Persona 5 did a decade later and just have Letty's voice actor say "Watch your step. It's not safe this way." and throw Tidus's name in the subtitles.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
The man who says "What are you looking at?! I'm not on display here!" was actually in the game.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

Now the lack of bacon will compound Spira’s misery :(

Well, Yuna did say Spira was short of fun... =(

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Something that I thought gets glossed over is that there's a lot of combat banter in this game; mostly related to characters using abilities for the first time or certain events in the plot. (Three of the abilities prompt a line from Tidus whenever he uses them.)

My personal favorite:

Swapping Tidus in after Wakka calls him a newbie posted:

TIDUS: "Newbie" here!

WAKKA: Sorry...

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

Yeah, a lot of people who make fun of that scene seem to have either missed, or deliberately ignore the context that said laughter is meant to sound like that. It's forced laughter that is meant to sound stupid and awkward, even in-setting. That's why he's doing it like that, and why him and Yuna fall over genuinely laughing afterward.

James Arnold Taylor even showed the script for this scene on YouTube; it really is written "TIDUS: Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha" and "TIDUS and YUNA: Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha" in it. (Another video has him saying "It's SUPPOSED to sound like that. Get over yourselves.")

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
See, I knew there was a reason I gave up on FF13 eleven years ago. (And not just beyond "The player-controlled character gets killed, game's over, boo loving hoo if someone else knows Raise or you have Phoenix Downs.")

Though "Killing the goddess of death and time didn't fix time, it just broke death" from a few posts above is... actually a really poetic way to describe the trilogy's plot.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

i hate bombs

NulFire negates the Bomb's Self Destruct ability, but I don't think you get AP or gil when it explodes.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Yeah, just so long as a party member does something, even if it's just defending or swapping equipment, they participate in combat.

(Switching a party member in and then immediately swapping them back out is not participating in combat.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Does the game actually let you kick Tidus off the Aurochs?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
One of the Guado in the residence (the one standing behind the Guado saying "But that's an old story.") is one of the few NPCs to call Tidus by name. I think that makes a grand total of three people.

I also think this game really needed a way for everyone else to dance around Tidus's name (a nickname like the Persona games used, or just omit his name from the voice acting like Dragon Quest VIII does.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Now I'm just imagining Tidus having his side of the conversation, then turning around and imitating Lulu as best as he can.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Let's go with Yuna. And no, I'm not just saying that because she's the only person in the party who knows how to cast Cure.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
As an aside, I think proper nouns (Rikku, Yuna, Sin) are the same in both Spiran (which sounds suspiciously like, and uses the same grammar as, English) and Al Bhed. No reason why "airship" is the same word in both languages as far as I can tell.

Also, do Haste and Slow ever end when Tidus casts them? Or do they remain for the rest of the combat/until their target is knocked out of combat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
It's a nice touch that as soon as Seymour threatens Yuna before the fight, Tidus, Kimahri, and Auron immediately step between them.