Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This was my favourite game as a kid and in my opinion this sequence in Macalania Temple, starting with the buildup to that Seymour fight, is where the game really takes off and gets good. It's the first big twist that actually moves the narrative in a new direction, unlike something like "Sin is Jecht" which matters to the narrative but generally keeps it on the same track.

Unfortunately, the big exception to "this is when the game gets really good" is literally the very next thing you have to do after this Seymour fight, which kills all the momentum that the Macalania Temple sequence built up.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

That directly discusses something that’s in the future, so I’m gonna ask that you tag it. I’m not saying you should delete it, it’s worth talking about, just add the tags, please.

On that note, if I ask you to tag your spoilers, I am asking you to use spoiler tags, not delete it. I appreciate that y’all are eager to listen to me when I enforce the spoiler policy, but I look at the craters in this thread where otherwise good posts used to be and I’m like :sigh:

Yeah, absolutely! That wasn't meant to be a reference to any future story moments, by the way, it was just a reference to the awful cloister of trials that immediately follows that Seymour fight.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Hey, I once called this section the final exam before the "real" game starts! High five because great minds and all that! Although I've never had a problem with Anima taking out Shiva, except for maybe my first playthrough. Shiva is pretty ridiculous in this game.

The only other thing I have to add is that this whole part feels so poorly paced. In the middle of all this wedding poo poo, we get a dramabomb about Jecht, and that Cloister of Trials just brings the rising action to a screeching halt. Things escalate pretty quick at Macalania and I feel like it would have gone much smoother if it went something like Seymour went with the team into the Cloister, and when it was solved he and Yuna insisted on going in alone, THEN they find the sphere. It just loses so much momentum and it doesn't quite catch back up by the time this chapter closes.

Yeah, this part of the game builds up so much momentum and then you get one of the absolute worst cloisters of trials, and then you get thrown right back into the momentum as if nothing happened and you didn't just waste half an hour of your life doing an icy-sliding-block puzzle. It's not great.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

EggsAisle posted:

Unskippable cutscenes are a drag, but IIRC they were pretty much the norm at the time. I've played a handful of JRPGs of the era, and none of them let you skip movies. Granted it was only a handful. I definitely did my share of dying to some later bosses, and yeah watching the same cutscene for the 6th time was a drag, but I just kind of resigned myself to it.

As far as minigames go, that was probably a carryover from previous FF games. I remember 7 in particular being full of annoying one-off activities. They generally weren't optional, but neither were they particularly difficult or frustrating. FFX made them optional, but also really irritating, so it probably worked out to be a step backwards. Not sure if they kept the minigame tradition going afterwards, I dabbled for a few hours with XII and haven't played an FF game since. It'd be interesting to know what lessons, if any, they took from the reception to lightning dodging.

The one thing that's really unforgivable is that when they did the remaster they didn't program in skippable cutscenes.