Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Explopyro posted:

The popularity of this game always somewhat baffled me; it just never quite clicked with me (aside from there being good music). I'm looking forward to seeing whether your rewrite will change my mind.

I feel this way about FF7, which I never got the appeal of. I guess this one here will always have some special place in my heart as the first Final Fantasy I played. But it's not all nostalgia, because FF6 rocks, a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

As an aside, how much do you folks want to see of the Cloisters? I’m inclined to breeze past them and just cover the highlights so as not to prolong my torment, but that isn’t exactly in the spirit of LPing, you know?

I believe most people here are in it for the story, so skip away.
But I guess it should be noted how the one in that cold place is kinda special.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

bewilderment posted:

I don't understand why people are calling this minigame hard?

Words appear in a section of the screen. Basically any of the eight directions, or the centre.

So you move the control stick to one of the eight directions and press X.
Or if it's in the centre of the screen, you don't need to press a direction. You just press X.

Keep doing that until all the words go away.

What's the hard part?

The timing is kinda tight and there's no room for error. Also you only get one chance here. So logically, a lot of people would remember failing this.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Black Robe posted:

Okay, I'm no die-hard follower of sportsball, but how does literally the worst team in the world who haven't made it past the first round in who knows how many years get seeded?

It's just random chance. Basically, the tournament is structured as a classical competition pyramid with 8 teams and random distribution. But there are only 6 teams around. Maybe the other teams died recently. This structure effectively means that two lucky teams win the first of the three matches by default.
It's a bad structure for a tournament, but what are you gonna do about it?

Giving out those freebies randomly is at least better than making the ones on top working even less for it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

BlazetheInferno posted:

I will say, whatever you want to say about the Al Bhed Psyches, they have one of the best goalies in the game.

But I can go into another fun detail on that note a bit later.

On the other hand, they are complete idiots for not letting that other guy play. He's so ridiculously fast!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I know there are technical limitations and all, but honestly, one of the weirdest parts of blitzball is that it happens in a water sphere, but the whole gameplay happens on a plane. Everyone is always on the same height. You could basically play it on a field without changing any mechanics. Guys, you trained holding your breath to dive in a spherical pool of water. Use that!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Logistically speaking, this part always felt weird and a bit stupid to me.

In the time it took for Tidus to be distracted by that little bar fight,
-the Psyches kidnapped Yuna
-they Informed Wakka and Lulu
-and Lulu had enough time to come over from the stadium

May I make a slight request? I think you should put the plaintext of Al-beth in spoilertags behind that. I don't want to bother opening a cypher site and copying it in every time.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Quackles posted:

But how are the outfits?

Quite cool and varied, actually. Better than the ones in this game. Some are skimpy, but far from all of them.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The stupidest thing about the plot of FF13-1 is that the bumbling heroes are doing exactly what the bad guys want them to do for the entire game and then a pretty literal Deus ex Machina with no prior indication happens in the final cutscene.
That's undeniably a bad plot.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 11, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

... They never mentioned how to defend in the tutorials :negative:

That's absolutely false. If I remember right, you are actually forced to defend when Rikku and Tidus fight that octopus and it goes around the pillar the first time.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Dareon posted:

Those two and the butterflies. I just wound up building my own ultimates for those.

Those are inherently weaker though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

Characters come back from shattering when the fight ends, so there’s a good chance that people revert from petrification eventually naturally. Speaking of which...

Here’s a fun thing to think about : fiends - all fiends - are created from the spirits of dead people angry at the living. Fiends are also very common if encounter rates are to be trusted; you’ll often run into dozens of them on any path between places. How many people have died in Spira without being sent?

It's technically a bit more complicated. All over the world, there are those pyreflies. These are basically pure magic of the land. Now these little buggers sort of read the emotions of people who recently died. And if they congregate, they produce monsters from bad ones. If the emotions are strong enough, those monsters appear human and mimic the thoughts of the living being.
That sending ritual basically deletes those emotions before the pyreflies can use them to murder people.

That being said, pyreflies have their upsides. They also produce aeons, all kinds of spheres and help holding your breath for a while.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 23, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

Might wanna spoiler tag some of that, there's a few key points that haven't been made explicit yet.

Hmm fair. But you two should adjust your quotes.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Quackles posted:

The real question is, what is Seymour’s last name?

After this little performance, I am placing my bets on “Hiney”. :v:

He's called Seymour Guado. It's basically their version of Nguyen, where everyone has just the last name of the ruling family.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
[post indirectly referring to a spoiler removed --fedule]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 2, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

I know we’ve been playing fast and loose with it in this thread, but that’s definitely spoiler territory, dude.

Fair enough, sorry.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

There's a skill called "provoke". Using it makes an enemy focus on the user. Some particularly stupid enemies forego a devastating attack on the whole group, just to gently slap Tidus, instead.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

... I know that FFX uses nearly every boss to introduce some mechanic or gimmick, but even with some serious grinding I didn’t get Provoke until the next area. I had no idea that was even practical.

I don't remember having it at that point either. But I sure enough remember one enemy which gets completely destroyed by it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

StolenTeeth posted:

Was there a typo or misquote in here? These statements seem contradictory.

I think the intention is to say that his mom kinda sucked and wouldn't have looked at him either way, unless Jecht was around and told her to. But yeah, that dialog feels weird.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think the cloisters of trails are a kind of minigame.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I never really understood that sequence. Sin was chilling on the bottom of a frozen lake, listening to the hymn. Then the party crashes in, soon afterwards the fayth stops hymning, so Sin grabs them and puts them into a random desert island on the other side of the continent? How long were they out, anyway? This jump already felt forced when I played the game 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

silvergoose posted:

no no. it's getting UNDER 0:00. friend of mine nearly threw a controller at the screen when she got exactly 0:00

Well maybe she ended up with 0:001 and the display just didn't show anything smaller.