Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I love Zanarkand. It looked so pretty. Also that blitzball cutscene is still stunning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I remember reading a review saying that the music and visuals were sub-par and just being absolutely flabbergasted. Even if this game sucked on every single other front, there is absolutely no denying that it's gorgeous and the music is stunning.

You can see Tidus's (and other characters) Asian actor model faces during FMVs. I dunno if that was because the limitations of the time though. (Yes I know the game was made in Japan)

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Besaid blew me away when I saw it. I love the worldbuilding in this game. Its a pretty place, but its clearly hiding something.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Falconier111 posted:

Some things they updated. Some things... They did not. Why would you press + during a cutscene? Oh, you must want to PAUSE the cutscene. What? Skip it? You uncouth barbarian, how could you even imply you wouldn’t fall over yourself to view our lavish 10-minute cutscene before a boss fight that boils down to random chance every single retry? How dare you. How DARE you! You will watch that FMV again and you will LIKE it!

This is kinda why I almost finished the game, but didn't.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The sending is one of the most beautiful parts of the game. I originally saw the sending scene on some random youtube video and thought it was from a actual movie Square made. (Yes I thought this was part of the Spirits Within somehow.)

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hunter Noventa posted:

I would say the opposite, the later in the game, the less useful Lulu gets. The game suffers from a problem that 7 and 8 did, where the main difference between characters after a certain point is their Limit Breaks/Overdrives, and Lulu's Overdrive is pretty lackluster.

Doesn't her overdrive involve control stick spinning? I got Mario Party flashbacks.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Aw gently caress, this minigame. I eventually beat by zoning out and my fingers worked somehow.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

My problem with it is that it's just tedious as hell.

Thats all the minigames

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The laughter scene is a mood.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yes, unfortunately.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I somehow remember the part where Tidus examines the dead people having the Hymn of The Fayth in the background. It really made me think about war and death. Seeing the bodies of people you talked to only seconds before along with that choir made me examine if the fight against Sin had any point to it.

(I was 26 years old. :eng99:)

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Ugh, Dona is just the worst character. Who decided Amber from Clueless would be a good summoner?

WTF is her outfit?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

Feel like something got pretty mangled here.

FFX is one of those fascinating examples of a game that got a lot of extremely mechanical propositions extremely right but was brutally let down by the parts of the game outside the battle system. Oh yes, it's the unskippable cutscenes complaint. This is a game that wants you to fail and retry and learn an encounter and has the design chops to make it's battle-puzzles work as things you can satisfyingly solve, and if it were only a matter of the bits between the battle transition and the victory theme it would be a smash hit, but alas; they couldn't escape the gravity of the game's save system and cutscenes, and now the one thing everybody remembers about the game is how poo poo it was to lose to certain bosses that shall go unnamed for now but which definitely are a plurality.

Similarly, the Sphere Grid is a decent idea primarily let down by the foibles of its practical operation. It's a fun visual representation of an otherwise aggressively ordinary progression system. It can eventually be taken to some fun places that kind of hazily align with other Final Fantasy job system paradigms where everybody can be crossclassing a little, but (expert grid aside) it takes far too long to open up and doesn't open up enough until you hit the literal actual endgame, and there rapidly comes a point where there just isn't anywhere interesting to take the system other than its logical and obscene conclusion, the point everything has always been trending towards, and there's not even anything interesting enough about that point to justify the effort it takes to get there.

Plus the lovely minigames. Who thought Lightning dodging was fun?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Procrastine posted:

Probably, but it doesn't help with anything where the natural English line would be longer than the original

See: Yes and Hai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'll have words on the final boss once we get there.